OT: Politics: Vocabulary List For Dubya To Study

Page 8 of 10
Geroge Burns responds:

I believe God spoke to Bush just as he did to Joshua. Mythology and bullshit are often confused, as are the people who believe either.
Charlie Self "The really frightening thing about middle age is that you know you'll grow out of it." Doris Day
On 07 Oct 2004 22:27:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:
I feel sorry for you, "If you are not with us you are against us".
When Jesus come the second time, all believers including our Commander in Chief will go to heaven "as promised". I will look down and see you burnt in hell.

Geroge Burns responds:

Sure you will. Just as you look down on others in life who don't believe as you do.
Self-righteous prig.
Charlie Self "The really frightening thing about middle age is that you know you'll grow out of it." Doris Day

You really missed part of the report that goes beyond the AP-generated headline: From the key findings: "Saddam Husayn so dominated the Iraqi Regime that its strategic intent was his alone. He wanted to end sanctions while preserving the capability to reconstitute his weapons of mass destruction (WMD) when sanctions were lifted. Saddam totally dominated the Regimes strategic decision making. He initiated most of the strategic thinking upon which decisions were made, whether in matters of war and peace (such as invading Kuwait), maintaining WMD as a national strategic goal, or on how Iraq was to position itself in the international community. Loyal dissent was discouraged and constructive variations to the implementation of his wishes on strategic issues were rare. Saddam was the Regime in a strategic sense and his intent became Iraqs strategic policy. Saddams primary goal from 1991 to 2003 was to have UN sanctions lifted, while maintaining the security of the Regime. He sought to balance the need to cooperate with UN inspectionsto gain support for lifting sanctionswith his intention to preserve Iraqs intellectual capital for WMD with a minimum of foreign intrusiveness and loss of face. Indeed, this remained the goal to the end of the Regime, as the starting of any WMD program, conspicuous or otherwise, risked undoing the progress achieved in eroding sanctions and jeopardizing a political end to the embargo and international monitoring. The introduction of the Oil-For-Food program (OFF) in late 1996 was a key turning point for the Regime. OFF rescued Baghdads economy from a terminal decline created by sanctions. The Regime quickly came to see that OFF could be corrupted to acquire foreign exchange both to further undermine sanctions and to provide the means to enhance dual-use infrastructure and potential WMD-related development. By 2000-2001, Saddam had managed to mitigate many of the effects of sanctions and undermine their international support. Iraq was within striking distance of a de facto end to the sanctions regime, both in terms of oil exports and the trade embargo, by the end of 1999. Saddam wanted to recreate Iraqs WMD capabilitywhich was essentially destroyed in 1991after sanctions were removed and Iraqs economy stabilized, but probably with a different mix of capabilities to that which previously existed. Saddam aspired to develop a nuclear capabilityin an incremental fashion, irrespective of international pressure and the resulting economic risksbut he intended to focus on ballistic missile and tactical chemical warfare (CW) capabilities."

The mainstream press has concentrated on the "there weren't any stockpiles of WMD's" while totally ignoring the "Hussein was focused on reconstituting his WMD capabilities once sanctions were lifted" parts of the report.

And I thought Kerry was running on his so called Vietnam service ,seems to me he started off with "reporting for duty"didn't he ? I think the swift boat ads show Kerry for all to see someone who stabbed his comrades in the back as soon as he got out and someone who has a lot of difficulty telling the truth and flips on issues almost daily .
as far as the web sites go what about the millions who do not have computers. mjh

So it's actually *Kerry's* fault that millions have been spent against him in vicious personal attack ads? Interesting idea. Imagine the same tactics being used against your candidate, and then ask yourself if it's a good situation for the future of democracy.
You'll be seeing more of these kinds of personal attack ads in the future -- the politicians all see that it works now.

I don't think that applies to anyone reading this thread. Regardless, there are ways to follow the issues; the real problem is that the average voter doesn't want to take the time.

Up until recently I think the Kerry people have spent on similar ads about 50 times the amount that the swift boat people have. Most of the Swift boat "vicious ads" have featured Kerry himself, so what is there to complain about.
In all honesty and this has come to light with the Dan Rather fiasco, the press is biased and nine times out of ten they make the news or at least taint it rather than reporting it ....mjh

That's fine, Mike. You believe what you want to believe.
On 29 Sep 2004 22:29:41 -0700, n snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Nate Perkins) wrote:

Like they didn't see that before with ads that said things like, "If Bush is elected, black churches will burn?" or holding Bush responsible for the dragging desk of a black man in Texas? Nah, those weren't attack ads.

Ah, it's because of some obscure ad in the *2000 election* that the Republicans have to run all these negative attack ads!
How about the latest one, "you can't trust Kerry to defend you against the killers -- vote Bush." http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID &8
How pathetic. How desperate. Anything to avoid defending the record or talking issues.
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:57:06 -0700, Mark & Juanita

And at the time, the perpetrators were awaiting execution on Texas' Death Row. What do they propose as an additional penalty for "Hate Crime?"
Greg G. wrote in message

Thanks :-)
On 28 Sep 2004 23:39:30 -0700, n snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Nate Perkins) wrote:
.. snip

When the alternative is going to make it worse, no, I'm not going to stop supporting him.

Where in my comments did I say middle class? I said people making money and also intended the people helping to expand the economy. Who do you think invests in new businesses and grows their business by re-investing profits? [Hint, it's not people below poverty line]. Punishing those people making over some arbitrary amount does nothing to help what you say is one of the big problems facing you -- the economy.

Based upon Kerry's own comments regarding what he believes are important programs, assuming he plans to increase spending is more than mild speculation.

Given that war was declared on this country during his watch, this in not unreasonable.

The only reason that Kerry might not be so successful in expanding entitlements is that there will still be a republican controlled congress, who might actually grow some brazos and stop the spending expansion.

Whose testimony was more than suspect.

The bulk of the world's intelligence community supported the conclusion that Iraq had WMD's. You are downplaying the weight on the pro- side and up-playing the con- side.

He portrayed links to Al Queida (later shown to be true based upon papers found in Iraq). The Czechs still stand by their intel report.

Again, you are excoriating Bush for acting on strong intelligence regarding WMD's and not acting on weak, uncertain intelligence prior to 9/11.
BTW, citing Richard Clark is not the smartest choice of cites -- he has been shown to have his own agenda and much of what he said has been discredited.

That is the point, it took 7 YEARS to pacify Germany and Japan -- and they had their armed forces totally crushed. To expect perfect pacification in just a little over 1 year when the armed forces had not been crushed is just plain silly.

Unilaterally with Britain, Australia, Poland and several other former Eastern block countries, Italy, Spain (before they allowed themselves to be emasculated and surrendered to the terrorists), Philipines. [I know, really France and Russia are the rest of the world, the other countries don't count]
... and yes, the US does care, it has placed our own troops at higher risk rather than swiftly and decisively crushing the insurgency. By all rights, the cemetary and mosques in Falujah should have been reduced to rubble the moment the insurgents turned them into military outposts and fortifications. Instead, our soldiers fought gravestone to gravestone to avoid destroying this "holy treasure".

No, you're right, we should try to sit down with the insurgents and *understand* where they are coming from. Perhaps you would like to volunteer to go talk to them?
Seems like we did start training the Iraqi's as soon as was practical. There was a little issue of having to secure the cities, then identify who were the good guys and who were Saddam's folks in hiding. There was sufficient embarassment over a few Saddam thugs who were able to bypass the screening as it was.

... and why are you training your replacement? Unless you've been paid a hefty severence, you are part of the problem, not part of the solution. If the Malaysians can do your work cheaper, they ought to be able to figure out how to do it themselves.

I think your timeline is skewed. The tax cuts did not lose jobs, jobs have increased, as you allude to below.

Funny, all the financial sites I look at show the Dow and Nasdaq are increasing and recovering from the 2001 9/11 induced crash as well as the fall started by the Clinton recession.

Woe, Woe, all is woe! Soup lines and soup kitchens, the sun no longer shines. Doom and gloom on all.

Maybe because KERRY brought up his service in Vietnam as one of his primary qualifications for the office he is seeking? I realize this offends an elitist like Kerry, but there were some people who served with and around him who took exception to his rosy portrayal of himself.

A major news organization attempted to influence the outcome of a presidential election by portraying forged documents as real, using its status as an "impartial" journalistic source and you call peoples' focus on this crapola? Would you have said the same thing back in 1972? The possibility that Kerry campaign operatives were involved in this story makes this more than a minor perturbation in the election process -- it is every bit as significant as the watergate break-in in the fact that the results of a presidential election were trying to be influenced and a felony (falsification of official government documents) was committed in the process.

OK, which John Kerry are you voting for? What do *you* think you will get if Kerry is elected?

Neglecting the fact the other side has been making similar comments, when you have a presidential candidate who is saying that we should never have gone into Iraq, we should have gone into Iraq but done it smarter, we should have gone in but taken the French with us, we should have waited to go in; when you have a presidential candidate who has sent his sister to Australia to influence an election in order to get someone who would remove their troops from Iraq in order to help destroy the existing coalition, what other conclusion can one draw?

Gee, I'm middle class, I'm paying less in taxes, I'm using that money saved in various ways in the economy -- I don't feel like I'm sucking anything up.

Hillary Klinton, "some of you have benefited from the Bush tax cuts, we're going to have to ask you to give that back" -- recent political speech to a group of west coast supporters
John Kerry: Wants to raise taxes on those making more than $200k (this includes many small businesses and entrepreneurs who are actually expanding the economy -- making them pay more taxes is not going to allow them to expand as much). In a recent interview, when confronted by the question of his "I voted for it before I voted against it" gaffe stated that when he made that comment [along with a few other waffles] said he was thinking that "I thought to have the wealthiest people in America share the burden of paying for that war " [to Dianne Sawyer during pre-debate interview on GMA]

... and what *did* Kerry do during his 20 years as a US senator?
"Mark & Juanita"

WASHINGTON, DC (AP) -
Congress approved sweeping legislation, which provides new benefits for many Americans. The Americans With No Abilities Act (AWNAA), signed into law by President John Kerry shortly after its passage, is being hailed as a major victory by advocates of the millions of Americans who lack any real skills or ambition.
"Roughly 50 percent of Americans do not possess the competence and drive necessary to carve out a meaningful role for themselves in society," said Kerry, a longtime AWNAA supporter.
"This is why many of them voted for me. We can no longer stand by and allow People of Inability to be ridiculed and passed over. With this legislation, employers will no longer be able to grant special favors to a small group of workers, simply because they do a better job, or have some idea of what they are doing", said Kerry.
President Kerry pointed to the success of the US Postal Service, which has a long-standing policy of providing opportunity without regard to performance. Approximately 80 percent of postal employees lack job skills, making this agency the single largest US employer of Persons of Inability.
Private sector industries with good records of nondiscrimination against the Inept include retail sales (72%), the airline industry (68%),and home improvement "warehouse" stores (65%)
President Kerry has also set an example, personally selecting hundreds of Nonabled people for top government positions, including many cabinet-level jobs.
Under the Americans With No Abilities Act, more than 25 million "middle man" positions will be created, with important-sounding titles but little real responsibility, thus providing an illusory sense of purpose and performance.
Mandatory non-performance-based raises and promotions will be given, to guarantee upward mobility for even the most unremarkable employees. The legislation provides substantial tax breaks to corporations which maintain a significant level of Persons of Inability in top positions, and gives a tax credit to small and medium businesses that agree to hire one clueless worker for every two talented hires.
Finally, the AWNAA contains tough new measures to make it more difficult to discriminate against the Nonabled, banning discriminatory interview questions such as "Do you have any goals for the future?" or "Do you have any skills or experience which relate to this job?" and "Are you awake?"
"As a Nonabled person, I can't be expected to keep up with people who have something going for them," said Mary Lou Gertz, who lost her position as a lug-nut twister at the GM plant in Flint, MI due to her lack of notable job skills. "This new law should really help people like me." With the passage of this bill, Gertz and millions of other untalented citizens can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Said Kerry, "It is our duty as lawmakers to provide each and every American citizen, regardless of his or her adequacy, with some sort of space to take up in this great nation."
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:01:10 -0700, Fletis Humplebacker wrote:

This one from 1961 pretty well sums it up:
<http://www.penguinppc.org/~hollis/personal/bergeron.shtml
-Doug
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.

Very few of our current politicians live up the the oratory of the past. Here's my favorite example. The oratory in question is after the body of the obituary:
http://www.rdrop.com/users/jimka/whisky.html
(Nate Perkins)

Nor is that a description of what bush has done.

A better criticism is that he ignored the intelligence prior to September 11, 2001, and then after, selectively presented and fabricated intelligence that supported the case for invading Iraq.
Consider some of the testimony befor the 9/11 commission. One witness was told by John Ashcroft that he did not want to hear about 'terrorism'. Another testified that on Sept 12, 2001 Bush instructed him to find evidence implicating Iraq in the attack.

Germany was the most populous nation in Western Europe and Japan had half the population of the US. There is no comparison to Iraq.
Despite which, Japan was pacified almost immediately due to the cooperation of the Emperor. Germany was a different matter.
Do you seriously believe that the insurgency in Iraq will end so long as tehre are foreign troops on Iraqi soil? When we do leave, the result may well be civil war or the establishment of a theocratic government.

Brutal and evil action would not effectively control the insurgency. Offhand, I cannot think of any effective way to reduce the insurgency while remaining in occupation of the country. Certainly we cannot control the insurgency by killing the insurgents.

FF

Tell me again what Bush's motivation was for lying so that he could go into Iraq?
dwhite
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:42:57 GMT, "Dan White"

Um, more crown jewels? Oil? Infamy? Power? The beginning of his grasp at World Domination? F - All of the above?