OT: Politics: Vocabulary List For Dubya To Study

Page 7 of 10
On 29 Sep 2004 22:13:46 -0700, n snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Nate Perkins) calmly ranted:

Question: Why are you -watching- 3 minutes of republicans or democrats on TV?
------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------

The democratic 527's, with a lot of money from Soros has outspent republicans on attack ads in this campaign. Over 86% of the 527 money has been spent by dems attacking GWB. As soon as the republican 527's respond with their own advertisements, the dems and kerry cry foul.

So it's a reupblican trick to hold Kerry to his words? After all, it was kerry who made all of the conflicting statements. Then he lies about them. Whan asked about his statement where he said "I actually voted for the 87 billion before I voted against it" he stated that he just had an inarticulate moment and it was late in the day. Only problem was that he said it at 1:00 in the afternoon. He has told so mahy fibs that he can't even keep track of them any more. He likes to attack GWB on his ANG service while being offended that anyone would dare to question his service. Kerry has yet to release all of his service records.
It was Ted Kennedy who suggested that we will get nuked if GWB gets re elected. It is the dems that are spreading rumors that the republicans are preparing to bring back the draft, even thought the only attempt to do so was orchestrated by dem Charlie Rangle. In short, if you really want to know what the dems are up to, just listen to what they accuse the reps of doing.

So you suggest that Kerry is out there talking about the issues and his senate accomplishments and the republicans are keeping America from hearing it. Get real! The only thing kerry wants to do is criticize GWB and then say he has a better plan. I'm listening but never hear the plan. Perhaps it's the right wing major media that is keeping his plans from the electorate.

Any time the "free press" or media tries to influence the outcome of an election by using dirty tricks and forged documents, it is and should be a major story.
On 29 Sep 2004 22:13:46 -0700, n snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Nate Perkins) wrote:

On last night's debate, did you notice how many times W went back to noting Kerry as a flip flopper instead of actually addressing the question at hand. One of the stations even noted how Kerry seemed to have much more depth of understanding of many of the issues and another station noted how W did his standard 'repeat the talking points' continually.
Dang, does W have nothing of his own to stand on?

Renata wrote:

It's called "staying on message" and it's the holy grail of politicians running for election these days. Bill Clinton carried it to ludicrous -- but highly effective -- extremes, but they all do it.
Personally I think it's another example of the degeneration of modern American political discourse. But I'm a curmudgeonly old geezer.
--RC (who turned 60 today and therefore now officially qualifies as a old geezer)
Rick Cook, whippersnapper, opines:

It only works because the electorate would rather not think.

Charlie Self "Politics, n. Strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles." Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
Charlie Self wrote:

Coot at 50, old coot at 60, geezer at 62, old fart at 65. :-)     mahalo,     old fart.

Wait a second, I have to wait for _60_?
Damn.
Well, you can start practicing geeze-ups every morning so you'll be ready.
--RC
Dave Hinz wrote:

Where I come from it's " old fart" , anyway happy birthday and many more ....mjh
--
http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2
"Rick Cook" < snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com> wrote in message
A belated "Happy Birthday"!
I was talking to someone the other day who told me that folks generally take better care of themselves today so the 50s are now a new set of 30s. So, you're only turning just 40 - not hardly a geezer ;-)
Renata
On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 19:25:31 GMT, Rick Cook
-snip-

Darn, you mean my morning geeze-ups are wasted? --RC
Renata wrote:

You forgot to mention another notable flip-flop artist.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/09/28/politics/main646142.shtml

And because I like to be "fair and balanced"
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/09/29/politics/main646435.shtml

Maybe that's why they're pretty much neck to neck in the polls.

Well, just for grins, let's take a look at one of those "flip-flops": From the cbsnews (you're first mistake, they have about as much credibility as Jason Blair at the NYT, but let's go on):

President Bush said, you can't distinguish between al Qaeda and Saddam when you talk about the war on terror... they're both equally as bad, and equally as evil, and equally as destructive.

OK, Bush said that both Saddam and Al Queda are equally evil, destructive, and bad.

So where's the flip-flop here, doesn't contradict the statement that Saddam is evil, bad, or destructive.

Again, a simple statement of fact, there is adequate information that Saddam had ties to various Al Queada operatives. He harbored terrorists (does the name Abu Nadal ring any bells?). He paid out stipends to the families of homicide bommbers.

Huh? What colossal leap of [il]logic lead to this conclusion? Saddam cuts people's hands off, crushed them in plastic shredders, tortured dissenters, had his thugs cut out peoples' tongues, along with a few other such atrocities. Al Queada is pursuing WMD's, has flown airplanes into buildings and cuts the heads of its hostages off. Seems no flip-flop there, they are both equally bad and evil.

So? How does this indicate a flip-flop in Bush's position that both al Queada and Saddam are equally bad and evil and were both elements of the war on terror?
I haven't got time to parse the other Bush "flip-flops" and I know it wouldn't do any good anyway. I am just amused that something like the above is considered the same as "I voted for it before I voted against it", or We should not have gone to war knowing the information that we know today," Kerry said Wednesday on ABCs Good Morning America. then "But on Aug. 9, 2004, when asked if he would still have gone to war knowing Saddam Hussein did not possess weapons of mass destruction, Kerry said: Yes, I would have voted for the authority. I believe it was the right authority for a president to have.
The point you miss is that it is not the USA's job to defend every country on this earth from evil doers.
Terrorists attacking Israel, for example, aren't as big a concern to the USA as terrorists atacking NYC. Therefore, OBL is just a tad more important to our interests than Abu Nidal or Saddass chatting with him.
Bush has flipped many times on our reasons for attacking Iraq, and that's kinda important seeing as how we're actually involved in a bit of a war over there and spending lives and $.
Renata
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:55:37 -0700, Mark & Juanita

President Bush said, you can't distinguish between al Qaeda and Saddam when you talk about the war on terror... they're both equally as bad, and equally as evil, and equally as destructive.

I agree with that.

Does the name "Leon Klinghoffer (sp?)" ring a bell. If I remember right the Aquilli Lauro was Italian, not Israeli registered.

You keep saying that Bush has "flip-flopped" on the reason for going into Iraq. This seems like selective memory -- Bush articulated a number of reasons for going into Iraq before we went in. WMD's was only one of those reasons.

President Bush said, you can't distinguish between al Qaeda and Saddam when you talk about the war on terror... they're both equally as bad, and equally as evil, and equally as destructive.

Kinda a major one, doncha think?
And then there's " One by one, official reports by government investigators, statements by former administration officials and internal CIA analyses have combined to undermine many of the central rationales of the administration's case for war with Iraq -- and its handling of the post-invasion occupation.
The release of yesterday's definitive account on Iraq's weapons -- and its conclusion that Iraq no longer had weapons of mass destruction years before the U.S.-led invasion -- is only the latest in a series of damaging blows to the White House's strategy of portraying the war in Iraq as being on the cusp of success. "
for the rest see: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A13150-2004Oct6.html
On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 18:33:01 -0700, Mark & Juanita

On a related note see;
<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/latimests/20041007/ts_latimes/iraqsillicitweaponsgonesinceearly90sciasays&e=5
which says in part:
Among the report's highlights:
The Iraqi president had abandoned his nascent nuclear program and had destroyed his stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons by December 1991.
That is particularly bizarre becuase UNSCOM reported supervising the destruction of chemical weapons by Iraq in 1992 and 1993:
http://www.fas.org/news/un/iraq/s/990125/dis-chem.htm
?????????
There is a longish, though incomplete set of UNSCOM reports online here:
http://www.fas.org/news/un/iraq/s/index.html
And the FAS also proivdes an online copy of a US whitepaper, or the executive summary of one, it lacks a certian specificity, here:
http://www.fas.org/news/iraq/1998/02/13/whitepap.htm
It summarizes the WMD issues in Iraq from first use in 1983 to the depatrture of UNSCOM in 1998. It relies heavily on the work by UNSCOM but was not published by UNSCOM.
--

FF

Does it matters if we find WMD's or not?
I believe God spoke to Bush just as God spoke Joshua to and take out Saddam.
I feel so safe with him as our Commander in Chief.
........And the LORD said unto Joshua, See, I have given into thine hand Jericho, and the king thereof, and the mighty men of valour. And ye shall compass the city, all ye men of war, and go round about the city once. Thus shalt thou do six days. And seven priests shall bear before the ark seven trumpets of rams' horns: and the seventh day ye shall compass the city seven times, and the priests shall blow with the trumpets. And it shall come to pass, that when they make a long blast with the ram's horn, and when ye hear the sound of the trumpet, all the people shall shout with a great shout; and the wall of the city shall fall down flat, and the people shall ascend up every man