OT: Politics: Vocabulary List For Dubya To Study

Page 6 of 10

public,
retire.
I couldn't agree more. Verifying document authenticity and checking sources is of paramount importance. When someone goes public with fake documents we need to hold them accountable, regardless of whether they're a journalist or, say, a president from Texas.

Dang, you know mp, you almost had me thinking you had an articulate thought.
Shoulda known better.
wrote in message

retire hell no, how about getting fired is more like it ...mjh

So, you would agree that anyone who is in a position of public trust and acts on inaccurate information presented to him by others should be fired.
:-o
Regards, Tom.
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:48:38 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

Whoops, there goes 98% of the House and Senate, not to mention most of the judiciary! All the police, fire EM chiefs who sent their folks out based on fraudulent 911 calls will have to go as well. Can we fire former public officials retroactively?
-Doug
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.
"Tom Watson" < snipped-for-privacy@erehwon.com> wrote in message

What I really said was that people that distribute false or questionable information should be fired. Acting on inaccurate information it reasonable if the person did not know it was inaccurate. There is a difference.
If it is snowing and Dan Rather says the schools are closed so your mother keeps you home that day. Who gets fired? Your mother acted on inaccurate information so do you fire her? No, it is Rather (and maybe his sources) that should go.
In either case, Washington would be a ghost town. I think that tops, two senators and maybe three or four in the House would survive. Nah, on second though, get rid of them all.
wrote in message

Right, crapola. I think democracy is best served by a discussion of the serious issues facing the country, and by honestly evaluating the policies and performance of the incumbent and challenger. The media focus on the sleazy aspects of this campaign, and on the manufactured scandals, is a huge distraction from the issues.
Dan Rather is not on the ballot.
wrote in message

With you Nate, evertime the Lacy Peterson thing comes on the tube I change stations, and every time the loud car ads come on the radio the radio gets turned off....mjh

So? What does sleazy reporting have to do with politics. His ass should be gone. The NYT dumped Jason Blair, Boston Globe dumped Mike Barnacle, CBS should dump Dan Rather.
He is preventing, not encouraging, the proper free discussion of the candidates. Ed
Ed Pawlowski responds:

I doubt Rather is interfering much with free discussion, but his mistake was monumental and is an indicator that he's past the point where he needs to retire. IIRC, he's well past 70, anyway, and it's not like he's going into the poorhouse.
But he has lost ALL credibility, whether justified or not. The point there being that they did not vet those documents closely enough to absolutely know whether or not they were forgeries. There is still some doubt that they're real, and that means Rather (and his direct boss) did not do their jobs.
They should both be gone.
Of course, I think his direct boss is president of the network news.
Charlie Self "America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own." John Quincy Adams
wrote in message

Again, who cares? It's certainly not the most serious issue facing voters. It's just another cheap distraction. Haven't we had about enough of those? When does Bush have to start talking about issues and his record?

It is serious to me. If I cannot trust the news sources I cannot make a proper decision. It is not a distraction to the candidates, it is a serious issue involving what is one of the most used sources of information in the USA. If they lied about this, what else are they lying about?
Would you feel the same way if they showed falsified information about your favorite candidate?
Politics aside, it is a very serious issue that affects all of us. It is more than just the minor distraction you make it out to be. Distance yourself from who the information was about and look at is as a consumer of news and tell me you can trust Dan Rather 100% for everything in the future. As well as all the news media that is tainted when this sort of thing happens. . Why have some major newspaper editorial boards called for his resignation? Because it is a serious ethics violation. Ed
wrote in message

www.mediamatters.org www.factcheck.org
I think they have been for some months now. Check out some of the above links.

I agree with you, the lack of focus on the issues and the lack of truthfulness in this campaign is a very serious issue. Lack of journalistic accuracy is also a big problem (but personally I still think Rather has more credibility in that regard than many others do -- YMMV).
I think Rather screwed up. He apologized. I also think the country has wasted enough time rehashing Vietnam, for God's sake. I'm ready to stop seeing Rathergate, Swift Boat, Kitty Kelly, etc etc on the news. I'm ready to see the news media accurately reporting on what the candidates are saying and doing. Real policy issues for a change.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/content/login.aspx?ci 222

These links are about the poiticians. I know they lie. It is the alleged factual reporting by the news media that concerns me. When they don't take normal precautions to check fatcs, that is a serious issue.

That was my point. Politicains like. News media, especially the big names, are held to a much higher standard. The public trust was violated.

So did Blair and Barnacle, but they lost their jobs. Why is Rather so special?

I agree and fault both parties. Ed
On 29 Sep 2004 21:47:22 -0700, n snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Nate Perkins) calmly ranted:

That would hurt his plea if and when a treason charge is filed. Rather sure stepped on his lizard this time, didn't he?

Hear, hear!

Nor are gays, abortion, or religion, but all of them are being talked about FAR, FAR too much. None has anything to do with politics or running this country.
------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------

Iraq ?

You are absolutely correct that Kerry has been talking about issues for months. Actually, much longer. In Fact, he has talked about and taken so many positions on the issues that no one can remember what his position is. He has taken so many positions in Iraq that every time ho speaks on the subject, he contradicts a previous position.
Rathergate crapola? A news organization tries to unseat a sitting president by using fraudulent documents and that is not newsworthy?

Well, that is certainly the perception that the Republicans have spent more than $100 million in advertising to cultivate. You can't watch any Republican on TV for more than 3 minutes without them saying "flip flop" at least 3 times. In reality, Kerry *has* done some flipping -- but on the other hand, Bush's guys have greatly exaggerated Kerry's positions and inconsistencies. And in truth, Bush has done a fair amount of flipping on his own (e.g., see Dan Froomkin, Wash Post, Sept 29 2004; or W. Saletan, Slate, Sept 28 2004 at http://www.slate.com/id/2107383/ ).
The common trick the Republicans are using is to attack the opponent personally as a flip-flopper, as unsupportive of the war, as dishonest on a service record, etc etc. If Kerry points out the failings of our policy, then he's being unpatriotic or even subversive. Create fear by telling the voters that Osama will nuke them if they vote for Kerry.
By using tactics like this, the President doesn't actually have to talk issues. Because if the discussion comes down to an actual evaluation of Bush's job performance, then Bush is in some trouble.

Yes, crapola. Yet another distraction from the bigger issues. I mean is this really the biggest issue facing the country? Or even one of the top 10?

I don't care which side you are on but this has to be sleaze politics recently some have inferred that the draft will be reinstated and that we are under increased threat of getting nuked by the ragheads . this is to scare the pants off the younger generation .
On the other hand there are others threatening that if certain parties are elected the their social security is in danger,scaring the crap out of the seniors
If it wasn't so serious it would be funny,I suppose the funniest part is the politicians don't think the public see through it...mjh

If not, it sure should be.
Please note that I've not mentioned politics here, just the press and a problem.
Our country is founded on strong principles. One being Freedom Of The Press. To make this freedom work, there must be integrity and integrity must be worked at and reputation earned. Dan Rather is a member of the press in this country. He is the managing editor for this station's news organization and with that, goes a lot of responsibility. Standards have been set and adhered to in order to maintain the integrity of the news organizations in this country. That means checking sources and corroboration of facts. This was not done. I don't know or care if it was intentional. I do know the result and the CBS eye has been blackened.
We cannot be assured of good reporting of the top ten issues facing our country if this shoddy work is tolerated. Rather should go. He is tainting the rest of the press as long as he remains. To say otherwise if compromising your own principles, just as he did, for the advancement of your personal agenda. Ed