OT - Politics

Page 2 of 15
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in 3335.bay.webtv.net:

That presumes there is an entity like that <grin>. Whowould you really like as President of this wonderful country? Someone who rises to the occasion, appoints his cronies, and chases skirts, with his whole entourage being paid for by the state?
I wouldn't mind a fiscally responsible person, who can keep the rich in check, does respect individual liberties, AND responsibilities. I even don't mind if I would get taxed higher if we get a little more responsible for our environment (here is the wood reference).
--
Best regards
Han
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in 3337.bay.webtv.net:

on the subject, who would you propose? That is a serious question, for a change.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Would be nice if the Electoral College was made to work the way it was intended--vote for the electors by name and let them after the fact pick someone for the job, drafting him if necessary. Ideally anyone who declared himself a candidate would automatically be disqualified from consideration.
--John
Han wrote:

Ron Paul

If John Ashcroft can lose to a dead man, so can the rest of them. He'll never lie, cheat, or steal. You know where he stands on every issue: he'll never flip-flop. He'll never have an affair with an intern.
Smaug Ichorfang wrote:

And he never got elected when he was alive, so what makes you think he would when he's dead?
--John

Even dead he is better than most of the candidates running this time around.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

That doesn't mean that he's more electable.
--John
"Tim Daneliuk" wrote

www.goooh.com first.
Well hell ... we can wish, can't we?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/30/07

I like that. It needs to go further: get the career politicians out of ALL politics, whether for sheriff's office or Prez.
Han wrote:

any candidate, all the candidates on the ballot go on the scrap heap, the parties have to come up with new names for the runoff election, and the office remains vacant until someone can garner more votes than "none of the above."
Just Wondering wrote:

So we go for the next century without a government? Who keeps the criminals in check after the police all have to quit policing and get civilian jobs because they haven't been paid in five years?
If you don't like the current government, consider the alternative. And don't assume that removing the current government will result in some kind of Libertarian paradise--there would be a period of anarchy then some kind of government would arise or be imposed.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

enough legislative offices will be to pass a spending bill. I think the result would be a wakeup call to the parties, to shake them up and make them offer candidates that don't make you hold your nose when voting for the lesser of two evils.
Another proposal: Eliminate career politicians by enacting universal term limits of no more than 16 years total in all elective offices (local, state, and federal combined), with no pension or other retirement benefits.

Kill even half the benefits and most of today's group wouldn't run again, anyway. Put the federal politicos on the same sort of retirement plan Joe Average gets down at the distillery and, whoops. Do the same for medical care coverage. Make them drive their own damned cars, at what, 37 cents a mile? Allow no vehicle larger than a mid-size sedan for any person who doesn't need a pick-up truck or isn't in the military. Outlaw SUVs, black or otherwise (not a bad idea all around, anyway). Allow NO gifts, not even a 39 cent pen. Game, set, match. Empty offices.
Charlie Self wrote:

Make 'em open their own damned mail so they have to wade through the junk mail, and make them take out their own damned trash so they have to pick out all the recyclables. And designate a team of auditors to watch each of them 24/7 including in the bedroom--violate one statute, just one, even if it's a ten cent fine and even if the statute has been overturned by the Supreme Court and out they go.
Give 'em a barracks in DC to live in. No moving the family there (well, not unless they all want to sleep in the same Army-issue bunk). No need for them to have a car in DC either, the barracks can be an annex to the Capitol. And feed 'em GI chow. If they need to go somewhere besides work in DC then they can take the public transit (wanna bet that in 5 years DC would have the best, cleanest, safest public transit system in the world?)
Oh, and they have to recite the entire US code (or whatever body of statute law they're liable to be adding to) verbatin and carry it in its entirety on their persons at all times printed on 12 pound bond in 12 point type.
Rotate the sessions--don't always have them in the Capitol in DC--one year DC, another New York, another Dallas, another Yellowstone Park (gotta get 'em out of the damned cities sometimes) and just for fun every decade or so put it outside the country--Congress having a session in Riyadh or Moscow or Papeete would do wonders for their outlook I suspect)
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

How about just making congress a part time organization of say 90 days a year? The rest of the year they have to be actually IN the district they represent and they have to talk to the people in that district. They have too much time to screw us as it is now. The president would have the power to call them to session at times of emergency.
Make all PAC's and organizations like them illegal. No contributions from any organizations at all. Just from citizens, and put a limit on that too. Need to get the government back in the hands of the people.
Take every lobbyists and stick a huge pole up their ass and then display them in front of the congressional headquarters buildings. Hopefully they won't actually like it.
Then, change the voting rules so that only people within the middle class income range can vote. Only income from actual work counts. Interest, dividends, stock sales, etc. don't count. No more freeloaders and no more richies. Just the so-called "average joe".
Wayne
NoOne N Particular wrote:

I'm not sure that banning PACs would be a good thing. They're similar in nature to a labor union--collective bargaining for the voters.

So the day one retires one becomes disenfranchised? Poor people don't get a say? The people who _employ_ those workers don't get a vote?
--John

Correct in theory, but don't most of them still get their power from money? The question is, where does the money come from? I know the early PACs were to counteract big business and their lobby, but not all have maintained the original positions. Of course, anything having to do with politics will be corrupted at some point.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I know that NRA/ILA has been reasonably effective in getting the Congress to vote the way I want them to.
Yeah, PACs get their power from money but that money can come from a million people contributing ten bucks as easily as from Microsoft contributing 10 million.
--John