OT political views wanted from other countries

Page 2 of 3

Nice
military
So was The Martian Chronicles, but I'm not looking to move to Mars anytime soon. I guess the Red Army was issuing crystal balls to its officers.
todd
Aw, fergetit. You clearly have no interest in any rational discussion.

fascinating

When you want to start having one, let me know. I just find it to be non-credible that some Russkie somehow knows within a 4-week timespan how much faster the Iron Curtain came down with the help of President Reagan. It might be interesting to read, but should be in the fiction aisle.
todd
Tim and Stephanie wrote:

Bush 1: "Read my lips: No new taxes." Kicking Iraq out of Kuwait wasn't exactly a non-event. Nor were the SCUD missles fired into Israel and Saudi Arabia by the Iraqi forces.
It was largely the broken "No new taxes" promise that cost Bush his chances for a second term.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 21:15:37 -0600, Morris Dovey wrote:

...and he broke his promise and raised taxes with the agreement by the Democrat controlled congress that they would also cut spending. Guess who broke their promise on that one.
Commonly known as a sucker punch.
The interesting thing is Clinton did the same thing with his campaign promise of "I will not raise taxes on the middle class to pay for these programs", yet when he did raise taxes by a record amount including taxes on the middle and lower income folks, the press said narry a word.
-Doug

The press didn't, but I sure did:
"Dear Mr. President:
During your campaign, you promised to *cut* taxes on the middle class. Now we learn the truth.
You two-faced, shifty-eyed, lying son of a bitch.
Sincerely yours, Douglas L. Miller"
About three weeks later, I got a form letter in the mail, something like this:
"Dear Mr. Miller, Thank you for taking the time to share your views with me. I look forward to hearing from you in the future. Sincerely, Bill Clinton"
Doug Miller wrote:

[snip] The idea here is to acknowledge the letter and to disarm the potty mouths. Hopefully you vented your spleen and will go on about your business. Douglas L. Miller will go on to a DOJ repeat list to see if you repeat your accusations in ascending virulence or frequency. If not, your name will be purged from the list. Have a nice day.     mahalo,     jo4hn p.s. The same procedure is taken by the Bush administration.

Several of my co-workers thought I'd be getting a visit from the Secret Service or the FBI. I disagreed -- figured that if I had said something like "you two-faced etc. etc. I'm coming to Washington to kick your butt" such a visit would be not only certain, but very prompt as well -- but for simply exercising my First Amendment rights, however vigorously or crudely, they wouldn't bother me. (They didn't.)

Fairly certain, yes. It may have been months, but I'm fairly certain it was weeks. If you'd like, I'll go to the trouble (or at least try) to dig up a reference.

Surprisingly, I agree with you. But probably for a different reason.
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 02:32:46 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"

They most certainly do but hey, if that's what Rush says, it's gotta be true, eh ?

It's what the dictionary says. Why don't you guys explain to us why you think we should let France, Germany, Russia etc. select our leader for us?
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 14:08:07 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"

What dictionary ? The neo-fascist browb book ? After all, you're the only folks who are suggesting this.
I realize it's a subtle point for Rush-conditioned faithful: considering other opinions is not identical to accepting decisions from others.
"GregP"

You're the one digressing into ad hominems when asked to support your view. Hating Rush doesn't quite do it.
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:37:11 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"
When I stop responding to your nonsense, I suspect...

Nope. But:
We do not represent the entirety of intelligent thought on this planet, however we do represent the wealthiest and most powerful country on the planet. As such, the policies that effect us effect everyone in the world to some degree. Therfore, it stands to reason (at least to me) that we have some obligation to making the whole world better. We cannot do this without taking into consideration the ideas, opinions and beliefs of the citizens of other countries.
"Fletis Humplebacker" <!> wrote in message Sniparoo

I just have to ask - are you being tongue-in-cheek here? The Hessians (i.e. Germans) were paid mercenaries for the British during the Revolution (see the Battle of Trenton, etc.). As best I can figure the only way they "helped" us get free of the British was by being drunk and asleep that Christmas morning so that George could win a "victory" at last.
Dave Hall
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jana) wrote in message

That's beside the point. The point is you posted it to the wrong newsgroup.

Then why not post in a nesgroup for people from abroad, like the soc.culture.(insert country here) newsgroups?

Huh?
--

FF

While I somewhat disagree with posting it here, he is right - the current "discourse" in the political newsgroups is along the lines of:
"You're a nazi republican!" "You're a limp-dicked liberal!"
Sadly, there doesn't seem to be anywhere that a reasonable debate can be had.
Anyone know of one?

Sadly most that would engage in political discourse on newsgroups are by their nature inmature and out of the main stream. It is the only medium that accepts what passes for discourse or debate in their minds. Not to say there are not those capable of mature discourse, but they are more than drowned out by the other.
BJ