OT political views wanted from other countries

Page 1 of 3
Simply put....I'd like to hear how you feel about Bush being re-elected.

Try alt.politics More opinions there than you will care to read.

Then why not ask in a political forum? No reason to bring off topic discussions here.

First, I titled the OT and political so it would be filtered by those who do so. I've read a lot of political posts here and have seen a lot of self sided arguements with no regard to how this election affects people other than ourselves. I was honestly interested in how people from abroad felt. I didn't put my own political spin on anything. I asked an honest question with genuine concern. I didn't post to a political news group because I wanted an honest answer.
(Jana) wrote:

What difference does it make? Citizens of other countries don't have the right to vote in our elections, so their opinions aren't relevant -- unless you're suggesting that American voters should base their voting decisions on the opinions of foreign citizens. You vote that way if you want; I'll continue to vote based on my opinion of what's best for America.
Doug Miller wrote:

You've never been curious?     j4

As I indicated, my voting behavior depends on my opinion of what best serves America, and the opinions of non-citizens regarding the outcome of our elections do not affect that in the least. Thus, knowing those opinions, or not knowing them, is of no consequence to me -- nor should it be. If the readers of leftist British newspapers, for example, wish to influence the outcome of our elections, then they should damn well *move* here, become citizens, and vote.
Doug Miller wrote:

[snip]>>
Your answer then is no. There are others of us around here that do have a curiosity about things that may be of no apparent "consequence to me".     jo4hn
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 18:28:40 -0800, "Fletis Humplebacker" <!> wrote:

That's total and absolute bull.
"GregP"

It's the truth whether you like it or not. He pushed for the arms race in spite of much criticism, they couldn't keep up and bankrupted a fragile economy.
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:20:10 -0800, "Fletis Humplebacker" <!> wrote:

Lessee, something like 85 THOUSAND US servicemen died in Korea and Vietnam, hundreds if not thousands more died in their country's service promulgating the cold war, US citizens paid TRILLIONS of (today's) dollars paying for an endless arms race, and good ole Ronny "was instrumental" in defeating communism ??? By spending a big bunch of our money and screwing up the national budget, that took the efforts of Bush I and Clinton to straighten out ???? That Soviet style history rewrite is an insult to the people of this country.
"GregP"

Unfortunantly that didn't put them out of business. The stronghold and base for communism was the USSR and they were still at it when Reagan came along. They supplied small arms weapons but that isn't what bankrupted them.

Yes, that's how it worked.

Which balanced out later, and cheaper too if you consider the cost of doing nothing.

Yes, after the need for the buildup was gone. By the way Clinton helped the economy by letting the military suffer, like a good liberal. Their faith is not in the US military but the UN.

I see. So you believe Korea and Vietnam put them under in 1989. Interesting.
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:17:58 -0800, "Fletis Humplebacker" <!> wrote:

I believe that the accumulated pressures and sacrifices of 45-odd years,plus a fundamentally corrupt and useless system on the USSR side, put them under, not an actor who convinced a bunch of neos that he sat on the right hand side of the Father.

The Russians themselves say you don't know what you're talking about. Do a Google search on "Gennady Gerasimov" and "Ronald Reagan" and educate yourself about the truth.
The Soviet Union would have fallen either way, regardless of what St. Ronnie did. I read an article about that a few years ago - folks high up in the Soviet machine stated that Reagan hastened the fall of the old government by perhaps two to six weeks.
wrote:

yourself

Two to six weeks. Uh-huh. Right. You sure that didn't say "years"?

Ronnie
Soviet
Cmon, Doug. High up Soviet officials wouldn't lie, would they? Without pressure from the US, the two to six number might as well be decades.
todd

Oh, certainly not!
At least, no more than:
Reagan, (*cough "Iran Contra" *cough *cough) Clinton, (*cough "Monica" *cough *cough) Bush 2. (*cough "Too many lies to list" *cough *cough)
Honestly, I don't remember Bush 1's presidency all that well. I'm sure there were some whoppers told there, too, but his presidency was such a non-event that I really don't recall.

Yet you're willing to take some Soviet officials word at face value? Nice try, comrade.
todd

I gotta dig up the article. The guy was credible, and IIRC, was a military guy, not some policy wonk. Let me see if I can find it. Agree with it or don't, it was a fascinating read.