OT Political Humor

Page 4 of 5
Fred the Red Shirt responds:

If so, he needs some new polls. Last I read, it was neck and neck, unfortunately. WIth a little good fortune (for the U.S.), Kerry will pull ahead today and win tomorrow.
Charlie Self "Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." Ambrose Bierce
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

I am seriously getting to where I really no longer give a damn ... never noticed that much difference with either party in power anyway.
Nonetheless, duty called and I walked to my local polling precinct this morning, in the rain ... got there around 6:30 and was about a hundred back in line. Last week it would have been dark, but DST has even the birds screwed up. The mood was more somber than I ever recall in any election line ... maybe it was just the pre-coffee, early hour.
One lady, talking loudly on her cell phone in the relative quiet of the line, asked whoever she was talking to how they were going to vote. I thought the election judges were going to jump out of their skin as they descended upon her en masse and shushed her. Come to think of it, that is the only place I've been in years that I didn't hear at least one cell phone ring. There was no getting away from the boob tube, though. They had an obviously official one blaring out a pre-recorded tape in three languages ... I still can't fathom the Vietnamese language ... sounds like parrot mutterings.
Looking around me, I imagined that I could tell you the political persuasion of everyone in line ... probably not all that fantastical, either. Took exactly 24 minutes to make it though the line and "cast" my ballot once the polls opened. Speaking of casting, we have eSlate here in Harris County and it sure seems to be the way to do it .. as long as no one is hacking the backside, that is. I'd think even a Broward County Floridian would have a hard time screwing it up.
Whichever way it goes, and Iraq notwithstanding, we need a plan for addressing this Islamic fundamentalist hatred head-on ... it's not going away. Everyone seems to be waiting for tomorrow. I for one can't wait until Feb1, 2005 ... the crap will hopefully be well over by then.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Been there and you just don't buy it. I really don't care anymore that you don't get it. You have your opinion and I believe it to be wrong. Doesn't mean I am right, but in my opinion from what I know I believe I am.

I said that naturally because it is a FACT that Kerry reverses himself on many issues. If you dispute that then you need help. You said Kerry doesn't flip flop any more than Bush. It is a fact that Kerry changes positions and therefore you are saying that Bush does so as well.

You snipped the context of that so much that I didn't even think I said it. You said that Kerry and Bush flip flopped the same amount while we were discussing foreign policy. I believe that a poll that shows Bush to be far favored over Kerry on this issue indicates that Bush is more clear and direct on his positions. Polls don't tell us everything but they are usually reasonably close.
dwhite

Posted my reply in alt.politics.bush and alt.politics.kerry becuase this is off-topic for this newsgroup.
--

FF

Thank you. I begged off politics here until you responsed to some things I wrote a pretty long time ago. Unfortunately I won't see your reply. I hope you made some good points. :)
dwhite

No worries, I'll email you...
--

FF

Wow, how did Bush get Kerry to say all those things? Bush lies in Kerry's voice?
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 16:59:40 -0700, Mark & Juanita

He doesn't need Kerry's voic, he lies quite well with his own.

You don't consider it a lie to present someone's statements out-of-context?
How about laying claim to a statement actually made by one's opponenet-- e.g. the 'trifecta' claim?
--

FF

I thought the above was pretty funny so I put it in another NG and got this one in return......
George W. Bush has a heart attack and dies. He goes to hell, where the devil is waiting for him. "I don't know what to do here," says the devil. "You're on my list,but I have no room for you. You definitely have to stay here, so I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I've got three folks here who weren't quite as bad as you. I'll let one of them go, but you have to take their place. I'll even let YOU decide who leaves." George thought that sounded pretty good, so he agreed. The devil opened the first room. In it was Richard Nixon and a large pool of water. He kept diving in and surfacing empty-handed over and over again. Such was his fate in hell. "No!", George said. "I don't think so. I'm not a good swimmer and I don't think I could do that all day long." The devil led him to the next room. In it was Tony Blair with a sledge hammer and a room full of rocks. All he did was swing that hammer, time ater time after time. "No, I've got this problem with my shoulder. I would be in constant agony if all I could do was break rocks all day," said George. The devil opened a third door. In it, George saw Bill Clinton, lying on the floor with his arms folded behind his head, and his legs staked in a spread eagle pose. Bent over him was Monica Lewinski, doing what she does best. George Bush looked at this in disbelief for a while and finally said, "Yeah, I can handle this." The devil smiled and said.........."OK, Monica, you're free to go!"
Sam wrote:

ROTFL!!!
C'mon people does it really matter which clown gets to run this country. They already turned the election into a circus. Whoever gets into office has no choice but to raise taxes and figure out how to get out of Iraq without our heads between our ass like Nam. If we just run like Nam it will only reinforce the terrorists and Arabs who believe we are evil and that they can kick our buttts and are free to commit more terrorrist acts. Afghanistan will fall back to fanatics and anything that was accomplished getting will be forgotten history. Like Nam it's extremely difficult and costs American lives when the enemy has no rules and the our battles are controlled and directed by lawyers and politicians ("collatteral damage"). The only difference between Nam and Iraq is the enenmy looks different and our soldiers can return home proud wearing their uniforms. Not like when we returned from Nam and were told not to wear our uniforms going home because of protesters(like Kerry ) spitting at you . This year is the most difficult decision as to who to vote for Which clown will you pick?

dteckie responds:

Oddly enough, Kerry wasn't, and isn't, noted for spitting on homecoming military. You may not like what he had to say--and you probably should look it up and read it before total condemning it--but he had a right to say it. After all, that's supposedly part of the reason our troops fight, to support freedom of speech.
Just as oddly, from the years of '64 through '75, the ONLY incident I saw of civilian disprespect to vets was a televised event I still wonder about.
The situation, though, was far more complex than it has been presented here and elsewhere in the past few months. There's too much love of the catchprhase and buzzword in U. S. politics to allow anyone not alive and present during the era in question to really do a decent job of judging, whether judging the public or the conduct of the war, though the latter, unfortunately run by politicians and political generals like Westmoreland ("Light At The End of The Tunnel"), produced ill feelings that still are raw after 30 years. For the most part, our troops did a superb job, fighting with one hand tied behind their backs in a war for which they were never trained, but the politicians finally screwed them over. As will happen again.
Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

<snip>
If you can't get it on a bumper sticker, it's probably too tough to grasp for many these days.
<snip>

If there was justice in this world, Westmoreland would have been courtmartialed along with Calley.

With all due respect, Charlie ... that is load of bullshit and is what typically happens when we leave the analysis of those times to the Monday morning quarterbacks. It is perpetuating a myth that was created by the anti-war crowd/media at the time as an excuse for the shortcomings of the politics involved. ALL units I served with _in the field_, including an ARVN Ranger outfit, were SUPERBLY trained for the job, and they were certainly not the exception. I can also say unequivocally that no unit I saw, or was associated with, in 13 months of field duty ever lost an engagement with the enemy, of any type ... and we were continuously "engaged".
To infer otherwise is not only wrong, but disrespectful in its blatant condescension, to those who fought ... IMNSHO.

... but you're dead right about the f^%$# politicians.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

My understanding, quite possibly faulty because of the relatively small sampling, is that the Vietnamese situation was one helluva lot different when the first troops arrived in the mid-60s (first acknowledged troops) than they had been led to expect, the equipment was basically Korean War era, and so were many of the tactics. Given the level of general training in weapons handling and movement, it wouldn't have taken the guys I knew long to train themselves if someone in country wasn't ready to do the job.
And I mean no disrespect to anyone who served in 'Nam, nor do I mean to condescend to them.
Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

I know full well that you, of all folks, didn't mean to. Obviously your comment about "raw nerves" remains as valid as it ever was. ;>)
Nowhere but in a combat zone is the difference between strategy and tactics so evident. Strategy is the realm of generals and politicians. The tactics used by those with bullets flying past were, for the most part, far above the flawed strategy that put them there.
Too many confuse the two in all wars, but moreso in (mis)analyzing that particular one.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Yup.
Charlie Self wrote:

calling me baby-killer and shouting other insults as I walked across NY Port Authority in uniform. While I do not personally blame Kerry for this, after all, I didn't see him there, I do believe much of his "free speech" (while still a reservist) helped contribute to this attitude.
Glen
"Glen" wrote in message

Same experience ... bussed from SEATAC to Ft Lewis, round eyed women, hair in rollers, kids in the station wagon heading for the supermarket, Cronkite's picture staring out of the boob tubes in the windows of the homes as they speed past the bus window, a warm and cozy scene, with NO smell of cordite or burning shit in the air, but almost as much hate directed toward you as you left behind.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04