OT Political

Page 2 of 3

LIBERAL
don't
Woah, you're misinformed!
I'll reply to one point, the one above. Here's text copied and pasted directly from the publication that Bush/Cheney cited when they wrongly labeled Kerry as the most liberal senator:
"It didn't take long after the ratings were published in February for Republicans and talking heads to start using Kerry's rating as a weapon against him. Sometimes, the people citing the ratings would note that Kerry was ranked as the most liberal senator in 2003. More often, the sound bite would be that National Journal had ranked Kerry as "the most liberal senator," without any reference to 2003. Occasionally, Republicans would assert that Kerry had been ranked the most liberal senator on the basis of his entire Senate career.
"But if the standard is votes over a lifetime, Kerry isn't the most liberal senator. By that measure, Kerry is the 11th-most-liberal senator, coming in below such Democrats as Paul Sarbanes of Maryland, Barbara Boxer of California, and, yes, Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts, according to a National Journal analysis published in March.
"John Edwards, who was ranked the fourth-most-liberal senator in 2003 (and who also missed many votes that year), is the 27th-most-liberal senator based on votes over his career."
http://nationaljournal.com/about/njweekly/stories/2004/0830nj_liberalratings.htm

liberal
in
http://nationaljournal.com/about/njweekly/stories/2004/0830nj_liberalratings.htm
Whew! I sure am relieved that Kerry is only the *11th* most liberal senator. Nipping on the heels of Barbara Boxer and Ted Kennedy isn't exactly putting you on the conservative side of the Democratic party. Any way you slice it, the guy's a BIG TIME liberal. Now, being a BIG TIME liberal isn't a crime, so why not embrace it instead of pretending you're some kind of centrist?
todd

http://nationaljournal.com/about/njweekly/stories/2004/0830nj_liberalratings.htm
How many Democratic senators are there Todd? You know there are only 100 senators, right? And that less than half of them are Democrats, right? He's not even in the most liberal 20% of Democrats. That's a far cry from "most liberal," and it reveals the unethical deliberate misinformation tactics of Cheney and Bush.

stripes
coming
http://nationaljournal.com/about/njweekly/stories/2004/0830nj_liberalratings.htm
Any
you're
You assume that there is some kind a a normal statistical distribution among Democrats of liberal ratings. In fact, at the upper end, the scores are skewed heavily liberal. Let's see, the most liberal senator, Mark Dayton, received a lifetime liberal score of 90.3 (I guess nobody's perfect). Kerry received an 85.7. That's 95% of the highest score. You can try to call that centrist, but I won't. OK, he's not the "most liberal". How does "one of the most liberal" work?
todd

Now can you admit that Cheney/Bush have deliberately mischaracterized Kerry and outright lied when they said he was the single most liberal senator and to the left of Kennedy?

Kerry
and
According to the ratings, in 2003, he was the most liberal. I notice that the publication has been in full backpedal mode explaining why that was, but that was what they reported, so no, it wasn't a lie. If you want to complain that it's "selective", you have a point, but there's a lot of that going around on both sides. Frankly, I don't care if he's the single most liberal over his entire career or just 95% as liberal as the top guy. Either way, he's waaaaaay left on the political spectrum.
todd

senator
but
that
Cheney said he was the most liberal over the last 20 years. Cheney said he was more liberal than Ted Kennedy. Cheney said these were facts reported in the National Journal.
Cheney lied.
He knowingly lied.
He knew full well that Kerry was not the most liberal over 20 years. He knew the National Review had just mentioned Kerry's record in 2003 and that record was very misleading. Cheney certainly knew that Kerry has never been considered more liberal than Ted Kennedy by anyone with any knowledge.
Cheney lied.
Bush lied in the debate last night when he said Ted Kennedy was the conservative senator from Massachusetts.
Now you are trying to defend and perpetuate the lies.
Jeff Harper

he
in
The best you can prove is he was mistaken. Perhaps he was misinformed by an aide. That excuse seems to work for Kerry.

You can prove this, of course.

that
been
That's a lie. The report was in National Journal, not National Review. I suppose you're going to claim that you were just "mistaken". Yet here you are claiming in black and white one thing, when if fact the truth is different. Wait, I know, you can be "mistaken" but the vice-president can't.

That may be Bush's opinion after working with both in the Senate.

Seems like much ado about nothing. Whether Kerry's the most liberal in a particular year or only 95% as liberal as the top guy, it's still the case that he's a far lefty. Based on the facts from National Journal, can you dispute that?
todd

Hey, Todd, isn't it about time to KF "Bay Area Jeff"?

Is he in the new troll filter? ;-) Honestly, my attention level on this is waning. There are only so many hours in the day and I can spend only so much time reading really objective news stories from salon.com. I'm close to bowing out and letting Jeff talk to himself.
todd

No, not yet. He's easy enough to remove with a simple killfile entry, so I haven't bothered.

I like Ted. I think, in the end, Senator Kennedy will be recognized for his dedication and service. I once heard a commentary that, though he never got to presidental office, he's accomplished far more for the American people than many realize and far more than he could have had he achieved the oval office.
<OBWW> I also liked Bob Vila a little better than Steve and much more than... Kevin is it? Bob was the original. He broke the ground and made it easier for all others to follow.
____

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."

One word comes to mind when I think of ol' Ted. Chappaquiddick. I suspect far more people remember Mary Jo Kopechne's name than the name of any legislation passed by the senior senator from Massachusetts.

Like the No Child Left Behind Act? Both dead in the water, eh? But Ted Kennedy and GW Bush have a lot in common, they are both drunken fuckups from powerful political families who have unsuccessfully run for president.

What have you been smoking? GWB has run for President only once, and obviously was successful.

Cue "he lost popular vote and I don't understand the electoral college" whine, or "maybe the 17th rererererecount might have showed Gore on top but they only did 16 rerererererecounts" whine. Even odds as to which; any guesses?
Dave Hinz

Humourless lot, ain't you?

Naah, it's just that that one keeps coming up by people who can't get over the _last_ election, and I'm not looking forward to the same people whining for years over _this_ election.

I'm more concerned about the 6000 lawyers and potential that more dead people will be swinging the votes towards Kerry. Especially with places who are ordering a 3 to 1 ballot to citizen ratio in ballots.
Jeff Harper wrote:

GROW UP. "Most liberal" is an opinion, not something that can be measured quantititively. If it's Bush's opinion that Kerry is the most liberal senator that's his opinion and he's entitled to hold it and to express it. If someone else disagrees that's their opinion and they're equally entitled. Personally I don't care how _liberal_ Kerry is, he's too _stupid_ for my taste. Whether he's dumber than Bush or not is another question. I'm a lifelong Republican but if Vladimir Ilyich Lenin ran right now I'd vote for him in preference to either of them--I don't like what he'd do but at least he wouldn't screw it up.
--
--John