OT Pol: Some Meditations Before You Vote

Page 1 of 3
This campaign season has been marked with a high degree of partisanship and rancor in the discourse leading up to Tuesday's presidential election. Both sides, armed with focus groups and experts, have crafted messages gilded with oversimplifications and spurious "facts."
Logic, common sense and truth scatter like dust before the powerful and well-financed marketing machines roaring across the landscape. My advice? Take time to reflect on what is truly important, and let your own intelligence and compassion guide your decisions.
Here's some food for thought before you vote:
Democrat, Republican, Green, Independent, Libertarian, left, right, center, liberal, moderate, conservative, rich, poor, gay, straight, black, white, brown, male, female, pro-life, pro-choice we're a mixed bag, but we're all Americans.
No individual, party or ideology has cornered the market on truth or God's blessing.
Dying soldiers in all countries call for their mothers with their last breath.
Any child killed by war, poverty, abuse or neglect is one too many.
Fear is our worst enemy. Those who would scare us are not our friends.
9/11 was a tragic event. But everything did not change. The sad fact is, too much has remained the same, or gotten worse.
Killing innocents in any war dishonors those who died on 9/11.
Those most distant from a conflict are always the ones shouting loudest for war.
War is almost always a tragic detour from the more difficult road of peace.
Anyone who impugns your patriotism for exercising your constitutional right to free speech is not a patriot. In a true democracy, all points of view are valued and heard.
Love is the core value of the Islamic, Christian and Jewish faiths. Only love and understanding can bring the peace and security all good people of the world desire.
Every vote counts, and every vote should be counted.
[written by Stuart S. Light in the LA Times, Oct 30, 2004]
Feel free to comment, but as always, without using words like liberal, left, right, or wing.     mahalo,     jo4hn
jo4hn quotes:

Three things bother me a great deal. First, the rancor, no matter which side it emanates from or is pointed at. Next, the belief that God is guiding anyone's hand in this election. Third, the number of people on both sides of the questions being asked who believe the over-simplified answers spouted in speeches and sound bites are the only answers, and the complete answers. Charlie Self "Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." Ambrose Bierce
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says...

The left is still convinced that Bush stole the 2000 election and they think he's trying to curtail freedom in the name of fighting terror.
The right is convinced that Bush is the only hope for support of their beliefs, especially God, flag, and motherhood.
Both of the above statements are oversimplifications, they don't include those who "vote their pocketbook." But those types don't tend to be overly rancorous.
But it does appear that there are quite a few voters who see this election as a pivotal point in the future of the country. That tends to up the rancor level.
And the only solution to the "sound bites", true or false, is to prohibit any political ads on TV or radio. We did it for liquor and tobacco and they were no more dangerous :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

says...

Actually very well put, Larry. I don't think censoring political speech is the right way to go but I get your drift. I think the politicians that go over the top are shown up as phonies eventually, even if it doesn't show up until they are in office.
dwhite

That used to be (and may still be) a favorite tactic of the Kremlin. And, I just heard a news story about how Jordanians can get hauled before a "tribunal" for opening their mouths and letting the wrong words come out. If they're lucky, that all they get, but usually, they're not that lucky and end up doing jail time.
It's interesting how some Americans like to use the word "treason" anytime someone expresses a view that doesn't agree with whomever happens to have the biggest mouth at the moment, especially if our soldiers are overseas at the time. I've always wanted to speak to a handful of psychologists to understand this mentality. Is it a desperate way of seeking false security?
True Americans recognize that freedom of speech is one of the cornerstones of what makes this society/political system worth defending/perpetuating. Most of us knee jerk libertarian/right wing nutsos defend your right of free speech. We're also not averse to spilling a little blood to help extend the privilege to the citizens of Iraq. Especially if that's simply a by product of eliminating a dictator who'd like to eliminate all infidels, Israelis, miserable American swine etc.
bob g.
Doug Kanter wrote:

How do you defend the Bush team's sanitization of any dissenting speech at public rallies? And I'm not speaking of vocal disruptions but t-shirts and placards - topped off by requiring a signed "loyalty oath". Those actions speak volumes to how much this administration is averse to hearing any point of view that differs with its own. From day one they've had an attitude of "you're either with us or against us" to one and all, concerning one and all. They don't give a damn about anyone's point of view but their own.
I truly fear for the future if Bush becomes a lame duck president. As it is now, we, our kids and grandkids will pay for his actions for decades to come.
____

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."

Humor speaks volumes about truth sometimes: http://www.workingforchange.com/comic.cfm?itemid 961
Bush supporters: Click the link. It's a cartoon. There's very little to read. Minimal effort.
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:18:08 -0800, Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

Owen, I have no idea where you're getting this "loyalty oath" crap. I went to the Phoenix Diamondback stadium rally for Bush along with 40,000 other folks following the last debate. There was no qualifications or any questions in the ticket process. There were metal detectors and airport type security at the gates, but there was zero to do with party affiliations or who do you like stuff. There were a few demonstrators outside with Republicans for Kerry signs, and by some of the conversation in line, some Kerry supporters attended the event with no problems - and no "loyalty oath". Most folks were there to support Bush.
-Doug
--
"It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among
[my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between

In other cities, protesters were granted permits, but only if their gatherings took place blocks away, far from TV cameras. As I recall, Bush's spokespersons have not mentioned concerns about violence with regard to this type of segregation. They want to keep the blinders on their supporters.
On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 15:25:11 +0000, Doug Kanter wrote:

What a load - if there are any anti Bush protesters anywhere, the press and TV cameras will find them and portray them as the main event.
-Doug
--
"It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among
[my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between

Of course they found them! Now, you'd think it would make an impression on any patriot to see how free speech had been relegated to a parking lot, but apparently, Nookular Boy doesn't appeal to patriots.
On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 18:41:21 +0000, Doug Kanter wrote:

Fortunately, there's still room in my Micheal Moore loonie bin. Bye.
--
"It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among
[my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between
Doug Winterburn wrote:

Welcome to the loonie bin, Doug.
JK

They really can't handle it, can they? :-) http://www.workingforchange.com/comic.cfm?itemid 961

If there was a protest, I guarantee you that the mainstream media, were they alerted to where the protest was going to occur were going to be there. It could have been in the next state for all they cared, the networks were going to cover any and every protest. As a matter of fact, it would have been even better were they to have been forced to be in the next state, the lead on the network newscast would have been, "A hearty band of protestors, excluded by the Bush administration from protesting near their campaign activity were forced to hold their gathering in nearby ..."

Given the expressed purpose of many of the protests as stated beforehand, "to disrupt the Bush speech", etc. it seems that the protesters were the ones trying to stifle the free speech of those whom they opposed.
Do you honestly believe that Bush supporters don't see the nightly newscasts, or other reports of the protests and anti-Bush talking points? Now, as a counter-point, please provide me mainstream references that portrayed Bush in a positive light.

That's hard to find. You know that. You also know there's a reason for it, and it's got little or nothing to do with bias.

You haven't heard any reports of such tactics by the Bush team? <http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2004/07/30/news/wyoming/63b4fc b928fe8e6987256ee10054e715.txt>

Well maybe they've learned a bit, but I know of three female teachers who were escorted out of a Bush speech a couple weeks ago in Oregon because they were wearing t-shirts printed with, "Protect Our Civil Liberties." In an interview with one of them, she said they had no intention of speaking out and were told by rally workers that they were not welcome and were escorted off of the county fairgrounds by Oregon State Police. Similar t-shirt incidents have occurred across the country. <http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1097928233 288440.xml>
Just last week, I saw a news clip on the Newshour with Tom(?) Lehrer, showing about 8 to 10(my estimate) people escorted out of a stadium when they held up placards with, "380,000 tons" printed across them. They were up in the top rows and it certainly would have been difficult for them to make an audible disturbance (the news report didn't mention or broadcast anything audible).
They *really* don't want there to be any appearance of dissent. Remember, their way or the highway.
____

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."

The response by the faithful will be that if they weren't sitting on your lap when you saw these news reports, then you really didn't see them. :-)
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

wearing. According to that survey we discussed earlier, a majority believe things that even Bush doesn't believe.
Makes you wonder if old GBS wasn't right when he said "Intelligance is an experiment that failed" and "Man is NOT an intelligent animal. He is an animal that has the ability to act intelligently when, AND IF, he so chooses."
Ah well, things should calm down after today.
--
There ARE no Iraqi WMDs!