OT: Plumbing with Pex!

Page 3 of 3
On 2/15/2012 8:02 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Not to mention, it expands 10% IIRC so it is less prone to break if it freezes and most new homes, like mine, have a 10 year warranty on the PEX plumbing. Then there is the ease of repair should you need to patch it.
On 2/16/12 5:04 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Yes, it's a little strange to be able to spin a valve around the pipe and not see any water. :-) I've heard that developments are in place to make those connection more "secure" even if only to pacify the installer's doubts. I will probably use the crimp-on valves because that spinning might drive me nuts. :-)

Blame the installer, right? I saw a wonder looking manifold installation on This Old House, all labeled and clipped and run in straight lines. It really tickled my OCD. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 2/16/2012 10:12 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

I have the manifold in my home/laundry room. A valve for every hot and cold connection in the house, 20 of the IIRC. In Houston we don't often get a freeze that will freeze exterior pipes but it happens. Now instead of leaving my water dripping or all water turned off with drained lines I can simply turn off the exterior hose bibs and open those valves leaving water in the rest of the house.
I used PEX on my parent's farmhouse. Laying on the dirt in the two foot tall crawl space and stringing gray plastic pipe was a lot easier and quicker than trying to solder copper joints. Doesn't burst when it freezes. Mostly I use CPVC and glue when adding in plumbing now. Its easy to work with too. But I do some copper soldering when required. I get some satisfaction out if it. Using the torch and melting the solder and actually having the dang pipe not leak. I hate plumbing. Love electrical, hate plumbing.

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 15:02:53 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Having dug a few holes for my Uncle the plumber, and needing to dig one here to fix the cast iron feeding the septic tank, I will say amen to the devil once more.

_That_ is when you hire the teen down the road.
-- The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer