OT Plumbing question

Greetings, I remember watching This Old House and they had a plumber install a solenoid in the supply line of a water heater. The solenoid was hooked up to a float in the safety pan underneath, if the pan filled with water, the solenoid would cut the water supply and hopefully your basement wouldn't be an oversized heated swimming pool. Anyone know of a source for this setup? Many TIA..... Mark L. Posted to to the home repair group also
"Mark L." wrote:

Try Grainger's:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId11630349&ccitem -- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)
Thanks for the link Jack. I was hoping that someone sold the pan, float switch and valve as a package. If not, that's definitely the valve I need.
Nova wrote:

If it were me, and I realize that it is not, I would drag myself down to the locally owned hardware store, where, like the tavern in Bahston, everybody knows my name. But more importantly, everybody knows their business, or who on the staff knows that particular piece of the business.
My local store says Do It Best, right beside the owners' name. Yours may say Ace, or TrueValue, or something else. If they don't carry it, they can likely order it, or send you to a plumbing supply house.
Prolly the most valuable thing I get from the local folks is a silent look that says: "are you sure you want to do something that stupid?", when I've explained what it is I thought I wanted to do. Then they show me a better idea, hand me the parts from somewhere obscure, and send me on my way, smiling. Plumbing repairs used to be a three-trip process, every time. The average is now down to something like 1.2 trips. Thank you, Eric.
Patriarch

That's it! You blew it with this post. I was kinda enjoying what you had to say in this post until you hit the above point. Let me just tell you in no uncertain terms - it says right in the Bible (look on page 139) that you cannot do plumbing repairs without at least 3 trips to the hardware store. What you're saying is nothing short of sacrilege. Or... perhaps you meant that the trips to return all the extra stuff you didn't need after you were done has been reduced to 1.2 trips. That would be admirable.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

You are sooooo spoiled <g>. The only "hardware store" in my town spends most of its energy and inventory on dog food. I used to drive across town just to go there to support the local guy, you know? The last 4 or 5 times I've been in there, they not only didn't have what I was looking for, but they SENT ME TO THE BORG. Go figure.
-Phil Crow
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Phil Crow) wrote in
<snip>

<snip>
Amen to that!
Patriarch
Sad to say that the kids at Ace had no idea, they told me to try a BORG.....
patriarch < wrote:

Someone in another group suggested www.wagsvalve.com
Mark L. wrote:

Let us know what you end up spending, please.
And my condolences on your lame experience at Ace Hardware. I hope you fare better with the plumber.
Patriarch
I am waiting for a 'qualified installer' to reply.... I may go with a simpler water only valve that I can buy and install myself. The valve goes for around $80 US.                     Mark L.
patriarch < wrote:

<http://www.smarthome.com/7115H.html>
Thanks, Scott. I just ordered one :-)