OT- PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC

Page 3 of 4

Several studies have proven that lower case is much more easily read in block text paragraphs than all capitals. Interesting the difference is nearly the same for seriffed vs non serif fonts, which seem to be beloved by geeks.
The theory for lower case being more easily read than upper case is that the difference in heights of certain letters in lower case ( a vs. b, for example) create a pattern which is more readily picked up. The serifs provide better linking between letters than the untied together non-serif fonts
Teletype's progenitor was morse code. Using lower and upper case characters would have required an additional set of 26 codes, not only harder to send and translate but a waste of transit space. Except for the national press services, blocks of "good English" text was seldom sent in teletype transmissions. Instead, one saw severely shortened text like "Arrived Paris 6 Sep" instead of "I arrived in Paris on September 6."
Soooo, STOP WITH THE ALL CAPS.

...and amazingly we are quickly going back to that (and then some) with instant messaging. I can't even read an IM message, but kids are quick to learn it and use it. ain't it gr8?
Dave Hall

...no...
Tom Watson (Real Email is tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet) http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Hey,
I'm sure you have the best intentions, but the solution is very simple. If you don't like to read off-topic posts, don't click on the off-topic posts!
Every message has a subject, click on those that interest you and don't click on the ones that don't. Very easy.
:)

<snip>

Aye. The wreck has often been likened to a bunch of woodworkers having a beer and a chat on a porch on a summer's evening. The majority of the conversation centres round woodworking, but it may well be interrupted by a pretty girl walking by, or if one of the company needs to vent his spleen on (insert topic of choice) And if one of the crowd needs to unload his grief about his shop dog, or Tom wants to break into song, well, I say what the hell. I'd rather see the odd interesting OT post now and then than yet another request for the secret of making pallet wood look like cherry, or where can I find the new ACME Widget cheapest.
<snip>

readers are equal members too.
That's a bit like the quiet guy at the back of the porch complaining that he doesn't like the conversation, even although he's got nothing to contribute himself.
<snip>

I'm not going to flame to to Mars or anywhere else. You've as much right to vent your spleen as any of the rest of us. However, I would say that if you don't want to see OT posts, then you could set your browser to reject anything with OT in the heading - most people are well-mannered enough to signal their intentions by putting OT in the subject line.
<snip from another post>

was a few months ago.
Not a fair point at all. The majority of those OT posts were from the trailer trash down the road, who shouldn't have been on the porch in the first place. And they didn't put OT in the headers. And a lot of the headers were in Caps. And they top-posted as well, the scurrilous bastards.

And to you too, wthlti. (Catchy handle!) I don't doubt your intentions are good, but let's lighten up, eh?
Kind Regards
Frank

Damn, I was going to avoid entering the debate/discussion/bs session...
Frank this is SPOT ON
And I am indeed kicking back with (not a beer - but a bourbon), and having a smile.
My greets to you all..(whingers and baiters alike - oh and also the bait takers...)
:) Mike from Oz Lurker Extraordinaire

on
grief
((snip))
are

<inhale, exhale... inhale, exhale> OK Two deep breaths and I have thought about it. And I still can't figure it out...
Not knowing each and every person on the 'wreck, how could I possibly know which topics concern this group. If it is about wood, it definitely concerns the group. If it is off topic, it may or may not concern the group. You would have a valid complaint if you had asked everyone to please preface their off topic posts with OT.
Congratulations on your appointment to the Cabal. Be sure to notify the 25+ responders to Glen's touching dog story that contrary to their actions, they are not really interested. While you are at it, tell Tom to knock it off with the cute poetry and limericks. While they are somewhat on topic and very entertaining, they are not what the 'wreck was designated for so he should cease and desist immediately. And while I did not necessarily appreciate the naked photos, there IS a connection to "wood" ;-)
-Chris
A good wannabe-moderator he may not make but a good troll, without trying, not half-baked.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03
JR9er wrote:

C'mon folks, get serious.... Will the KC Chiefs go all the way??? Oops, OT again. My bad Mark
wthlti wrote:

Nah. That's for the Eagles to accomplish!
Renata

smart, not dumb for email
We'd better stay on topic, lest our Handyman of America membership cards be revoked <G>
Renata wrote:

LOL. OK, so I suppose that I should spend more time discussion Martha Stewert's legal matters, posting nude images of mediocre-looking women, discussing George Dubya's war on terror, posting unsolicited links to commercial web sites in all caps and labeling them 'inspirations', and flaming anyone and everyone who tries to make a constructive suggestion. If I start to do more of those things, perhaps I will fit right in. ;-)
says...

I don't think you got flamed. I suspect you've been around the block enough times to know what a real flame is. You just got a bunch of responses from people who disagree. Basically, nobody (including me) agrees with your assertion that OT posts are really a problem here, at least those made by wreck'ers. The OT posts that caused the biggest problems in the past were made outsiders who don't give a damn what you think anyway, so they aren't going to change their behavior based on your "constructive suggestions". <bliss>To be honest, those people might even still be around, but with Nfilter, I don't even know it </bliss>.
I've never used Gravity, but I'm willing to bet that it has a feature that can ignore postings with "OT" in the subject. I will echo the sentiments of a few others and suggest that you familiarize yourself with this feature.
todd
Ok. So the wreck don't fit _your_ vision of what it's supposed to be. I'd say chill out and accept it ('cause it ain't gonna change jess for you) or go back into lurk mode.
Renata
wrote:

smart, not dumb for email
Message 1 in threadFrom: David F. Eisan ( snipped-for-privacy@home.com) Subject: Solution for Mailbox Baseball
View this article onlyNewsgroups: rec.woodworking Date: 2000/04/17
Dear All,
I was just looking through the latest Lee Valley May 2000 catalogue flyer and thought I would mention what is listed on the top left of page 24 as I can recall a few posts asking about how to defeat mailbox baseball players. The flyer shows a T type metal bracket for use with 4x4 lumber that allows the longer rail that holds the mail box to swivel up and away when struck.
www.leevalley.com
Thanks,
David. (who has no affiliation with Lee Valley)
Message 2 in threadFrom: Jon Endres ( snipped-for-privacy@sover.net) Subject: Re: Solution for Mailbox Baseball
View this article onlyNewsgroups: rec.woodworking Date: 2000/04/17
David,
Out here in the sticks, this kind of game is quite popular, and seems to have a loyal following among teenagers with old beater pickups and too much (illegally obtained) beer. One local homeowner defeated this, which caused one young man some damage a few years back.
What he did, after suffering the loss of a rather well-decorated and nice-looking box, was to purchase two boxes, one very large and one quite small. He placed the small one inside the large one with spacers, so that you had to open the large one to get at the small one. Then he removed the door from the small one so the mailman didn't have to open two doors. He placed a large steel pipe in the ground with a flange on top to mount the boxes, one inside the other. He then filled the post and the space BETWEEN the two boxes with high strength concrete.
Now, the local kids decided, what better way to have some fun than to wreck this guy's brand new 'oversize' box, nice big target. The poor bastard who was in the back of the truck swinging away, not only didn't do any damage to the box, he broke the wooden bat he was using, broke one wrist, and fell out of the truck at about 35 mph, suffering some road rash.
Hope he learned his lesson.
-- Jon Endres, P.E. West Mountain Engineering Co. snipped-for-privacy@sover.net

You HAD to bring this one up agin, din't ya? :)
Made us famous, it did.
Jon E

I was surprised it was you two! Or at least that's as far back as I cared to google it. I couldn't locate the very first message on the subject, and decided you two could take the heat.