OT- PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC

Page 2 of 4
jvogel20_remove_this snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

You are correct! My fault. Sorry. JOAT and a handful of others need to take this advice too.
And Jev, you could stop top-posting too!
Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:
you don't like top posters? then don't read em, kill file em you don't like the way JOAT posts in all caps, (mind you mostly ONLY his tips tricks and inspiration posts are this way) don't read them you are a "regular wrecker"? im not thinking so,,,if you were you would know most of the people on the moron bench consider the folks here friends, if not family we never meet.
take it elsewhere, or go back to lurking for a while to learn something.

LET ME JUST UNLIMBER MY CURMUDGEON-NESS HERE.

I'M SORRY, BUT THIS JUST AGGRAVATES ME NO END. WHAT FOOL DECIDED THAT ALL CAPS WAS THE EQUIVALENT OF SHOUTING?
FOR THE MAJOR PART OF THE 20TH CENTURY THE MAJOR METHOD OF CONVEYING THE PRINTED WORD WAS VIA THE VENERABLE TELETYPE MACHINE. USED BY MAJOR CORPORATIONS, THE RAILROADS, WESTERN UNION, EVERY MAJOR NEWS ORGANIZATION AND THE MILITARY, ET AL, I CANNOT RECALL EVEN ONE ASSOCIATION OF ITS METHOD OF PRINT WITH THE ACT OF SHOUTING.
I DONT RECALL A SINGLE INSTANCE WHERE A FAMILY, UPON RECEIVING THE DREADED TELEGRAM INFORMING THEM OF A DEATH OF A LOVED ONE IN COMBAT, EVER THOUGHT THAT THE PRESIDENT OF THE USA WAS SHOUTING AT THEM.
I DONT RECALL EVER HEARING OF A SINGLE SWEEPSTAKES WINNER WHO REFUSED TO PICK UP THEIR WINNINGS BECAUSE THEY WERE OFFENDED BY THE SHOUTING.
I SERIOUSLY DOUBT THAT ANY BROADWAY STAR, RECEIVING CONGRATULATORY TELEGRAMS PRIOR TO AN OPENING, EVER THREW THEM AWAY AND WENT INTO A SNIT BECAUSE THE SENDER WAS SHOUTING.
I'M EQUALLY CERTAIN THAT NOT A SINGLE NEWSPAPER EDITOR, READING OVER THE DAY'S STORIES AND DECIDING WHAT TO CARRY IN HIS PAPER, EVER THOUGHT TO HIMSELF "GEE, I WISH THOSE GUYS AT AP AND UPI WOULD QUIT SHOUTING."
HOW MANY WORKERS RECEIVED A TELEGRAM NOTIFYING THEM OF THE END OF A STRIKE, AND THEN REFUSED TO REPORT BACK TO THEIR PAYCHECK BECAUSE THEY WERE BEING SHOUTED AT?
i CAN THINK OF NOT A SINGLE INSTANCE WHERE A BIRTH ANNOUNCEMENT RESULTED IN A REFUSAL TO ACKNOWLEDGE A GRANDCHILD BECAUSE THE PARENTS WERE RUDE ENOUGH TO SHOUT.
NO, IT TOOK THE ADVENT OF THE COMPUTER, AND ITS COROLLARY, THE GEEK, TO LEND VOICE AND CREEDANCE TO SOMETHING THAT DOESNT EXIST. THE GEEK, OF COURSE, GAVE BIRTH TO THE NERD, AND BOTH ARE CHARACTERIZED BY KNOWING A LOT ABOUT VERY LITTLE, ASSUMING THAT THEY KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERYTHING, ALL THE WHILE BEING ENTIRELY TOO VOCAL ABOUT IT. THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEM IS THAT THE GEEK IS EXTROVERTED (THUS MORE ANNOYING) AND PERHAPS A BIT MORE TECHNICAL, BEING ABLE TO UNDERSTAND THE INNER WORKINGS OF ANY PLASTIC BOX CONSUMER PRODUCT WITHOUT SO MUCH AS A SINGLE REFERENCE TO THE MANUAL.
I SUSPECT THAT THE GEEK AND THE NERD WERE NATURE'S WAY OF FILLING THE VACUUM OCCURING IN THE LATE TWENTIETH CENTURY WHEN COMMON SENSE BEGAN TO EVAPORATE INTO THE VOID.
MY THOUGHTS ARE THAT THOSE WHO ZERO IN ON THE ALL-CAPS SITUATION DO SO BECAUSE THEY HAVE ABSOLUTLY NO KNOWLEDGE OF THE TOPIC BEING DISCUSSED, YET THEIR COMPULSIVE NATURE FORCES THEM TO SAY SOMTHING ANYWAY. BY ATTACKING THE USE OF ALL CAPS THEY CAN DENIGRATE THE OTHER POSTERS, AND AT THE SAME TIME DEMONSTRATE THEIR EXPERTISE IN COMMUNICATIONS. THUS THEY HAVE TWO REASONS TO FEEL GOOD.
Now I ask you, is this any more readable than the foregoing paragraphs?
OF COURSE NOT. SO, LIGHTEN UP. SPEND THE TIME INSTEAD WITH A GOOD BOOK ON PUNCTUATION. WE'LL ALL BE BETTER SERVED.
FOR THOSE WHOSE ONLY EXPERIENCE WITH ALL CAPS HAS BEEN "ONLINE", YOU, ESPECIALLY, NEED TO LIGHTEN UP. YOU'RE NOT OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW EVERYTHING, OR EVEN MUCH, AND YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW.
LARRY PRINCE RIDGE CUSTOM WOODWORKS THEBOSS AT RIDGEWORKS DOT COM
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:52:40 -0500, LP wrote:

WAY COOL, DUDE.
-DOUG
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 00:57:02 GMT, Doug Winterburn

RIGHT ON!!!!
WHOA
--
This space for rent.
Jerry The Phoneman

Huh? You don't think that "books" and "magazines" and "newspapers" (all, or any one group) conveyed more "printed words" than teletypes?

Damn straight, I think it is. You do too, I'd wager. ;-)

Actually, until very recently (say, 1980+), virtually all "computer related" data entry was all caps. IBM 026's and 029's (look 'em up) were all caps. But then, I'm probably old enough to know everything. ;-)
Jim Stuyck
<snip>

You're absolutely right. I did commit an obvious and most embarrassing gaffe by not limiting my remarks to electric/electronically transmitted words.

Actually I don't. But I also don't think its worth getting all heated up over.

Agreed. And yes I remember those. And yes, another gaffe, in that I didnt specify my remarks pertained primarily to the interpersonal communication made ubiquitious with the advent of email and newsgroups.
Did you take JOAT's older than dirt test? I did and failed miserably, in that, yes, i'm older than dirt :)
And to further clarify, my initial post was a somewhat tongue-in-cheek jab at those who would kill the messenger rather than take something useful away from the message.
And that's the part that REALLY aggravates me!! :)
Larry M. Prince Ridge Custom WoodWorks

[unreadable and irrelavent nonsense snipped]
I didn't bother reading your rant because it was all caps. Whether it was "shouting" or not is beside the point. Studies have shown that mixed case text has greater readibility than all caps.
Just like the grammar thread elsewhere, if you want your material seen, read, and to have credibility, type in mixed case (leading caps and lower case everywhere else) and spell correctly.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
LP wrote:

Can't tell, it was decided on before I got online about a decade ago.

Are you on a teletype?

Did a relative of mine die?

Are you giving away money? How about a car?

Are your postings to a broadway star?

Are we editing a newspaper stuck together from teletypes?

Me? Have grandchildren? I didn't know I even had children. I had better tell wife.

It's convention. People who post in all caps tend to be ignored, They are also seen as lacking in intellect. And Lazy.
If your blind and need all capitals to see what your typing but too embarrassed to admit it then change your screen resolution or mail editor to a font you can see?
If you don't like 'geeks' you can pack up the machine they invented and get off the network they developed.
Else you can look forward to continuing to get your balls busted.

Yes.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
T. wrote:

Um, some of us think the same of subject lines too... <g>
-- Mark
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

No, you really don't 'gotta'. I did it with this thread, but I don't remember ever doing it before in the four years I've been a wrecker. You do it every single time you post. You don't seem to get too many responses to your threads. So much for getting people's attention.
excel snipped-for-privacy@noway.com says...

... and then lower-case capability was invented and life became much more, well, civilized. No "fool" decided all-caps was the equivalent of shouting, it was a convention that arose early in the beginning of Usenet when it was realized that mixed case posting was possible. Now, look at the difference between the mixed case example I show here, and your rather obnoxious all-caps posting above. Much more readable and a bit more subdued, don't you think. Just because a now antiquated communications means was only capable of all-caps, doesn't mean that a new convention with more advanced technology cannot arise. Early Usenet users recognized the need to be able to capture more than just words in print, the nuances of the poster were also often important, hence the use of emoticons to convey playfulness and the rise of the convention of using all-caps to indicate ire.
Skaepnig of raeadblity,
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azamnig huh?
from <http://www.ltsneng.ac.uk/tcr/anecdote/index.asp
Greg
Mark & Juanita wrote:

LOL... I don't think I could do that if I tried.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03

Who decided it was uncouth to piss against the sides of public buildings? Who decided it was wrong to molest small children? The 'community'. In this this case it was the community of "fools" who made it possible for you to spew your "curmudgeon-ness" at the rest of us. Since this medium has far more limited emotional cues than conversation, or even printed matter, certain conventions were adopted. One of them was that ALL CAPS MEANS SHOUTING!
See how that portion stands out in greater emphasis from the rest?

Fine. Turn in your computer and go back to the teletype. For the longest time only stone tools were available. Therefore, you must give up any modern hand-tools, and especially power tools--send them to me.

So just because they were physically limited by the primitive equipment available, means we can't proceed beyond that?

And of course, YOU actually do know everything.

And you are nature's way of filling in the vacuum occurring in the late twentieth century when common courtesy began to evaporate into the void.

Yes. Numerous usability studies have shown very clearly that mixed-case text is far more quickly comprehended than all-caps. Why do you think 99.9995% of all printed matter is mixed case? Not because it's cheaper ...

May I recommend some time with a book by Miss Manners?

And you know even less than you think.
LP wrote:

Yes, actually.
Anyway, all the teletype stuff aside, caps as SHOUTING has been usenet convention for better than 30 years.
Three things
1) Welcome to the 21st century.
2) Actually, studies on readability have been done and in paragraphs particulary, mixed case and serifs (vs non-serif type) IS more readable.
3) While I agree that folks sometimes overlook the message to pick on nits such as top posting, spelling, etc., the convention has been well established that upper case is for emphasis and it's not cool to post in all uppers.
Renata

--snip--
smart, not dumb for email