OT- PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC

Page 1 of 4
The first thing you may think is that I am posting an off-topic thread to ask the wreckers to post on topic. What a hypocrite, right?
Sorry. Off topic threads do have their place here and there. Like mine, I feel that this is a matter that actually concerns the group. I am not a frequent poster here, but I am a daily reader and I feel that readers are equal members too.
Could we try to keep things to woodworking and related technologies? And if you must post off topic, then please do it only about topics that actually concern this group. Martha Stewert's legal matters, picture posts of naked ladies, USA first amendment rights (we are not all American), high-speed internet policies, and pet obituaries really do not concern the group.
Now before you flame me to Mars, take a deep breath and think about it. I post this with the best intentions for everyone. Happy Holidays to all!

Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet Website: http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 08:01:55 -0800, Tom Watson wrote:

ROTFLMAO!!
@hotmail.com says...

A most elegant response to what is most likely a new troll. Kind of the ultimate troll, don't you think? A pro-active castigation of off- topic postings.
snipped-for-privacy@hadenough.com says...

I resent your unfounded accusation. I have been a wrecker for about 4 years now. What was so offensive about my post?

The (heavily edited) portion quoted above by Tom Watson, of course. You must be a lot of fun at parties. I can just see it: the conversation takes a direction that you don't care for, and you stand up on a chair, beat your chest a few times, and loudly proclaim your desire that everyone "stay on topic". As defined by yourself, of course.
Most folks, in this situation, would find someone else to talk to. Or leave to go to a different party. If you don't like off-topic posts, learn to use the killfile feature of your newsreader. It's the same basic idea.
4 years and you JUST noticed the off topic discussion we get into?
Renata
wrote:

smart, not dumb for email

The boy's got some catching up to do. Alright everybody, let's dance.
APPLE BROWN BETTY
4 c. apples 1/4 c. orange juice 1 c. sugar 3/4 c. flour 1/4 tsp. cinnamon 1/4 tsp. nutmeg 1/2 c. butter
Sprinkle apples with orange juice. Mix all other ingredients together and mix in with apples. Add a dash of salt. Mound apples in a buttered pie plate. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until apples are done.
Your turn ;>
Michael
forth from the murky depths:

Yeah, and just now realized that he had a paper-thin skin on 'im. Pobrecito!

Grease up your shoulders, dude. The chips people throw at you slide off 'em a whole lot more easily that way.
- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry. http://diversify.com
Larry Jaques writes:

Unless they also toss the whole buffalo.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker
On 31 Dec 2003 09:14:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

ROFL Charlie!!! needed a good chuckle
On 31 Dec 2003 09:14:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

Well, as the old saying goes
"When the chips are down, the buffalo's empty."
---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. -------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!
Larry Jaques responds:

But let's not forget the herd mentality.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker
On 31 Dec 2003 19:57:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

Baaaaa?
---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. -------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!
I understand your concern, but I think most off topic posters are very conscientious about starting the thread with "OT" and as a daily reader too I only find a couple of OT threads a day. Since the number of OT posts is small and they are almost always identified as such I don't have a problem with that. Since the internet was built for ME, not YOU I think people can continue on about their business as always.
Now, if the internet was built for YOU instead of ME that would be a different story. In that case I think the best thing would be for you to provide us a list of topics you're interested in so we would be sure to only post on those topics.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"wthlti" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
says...

It is OUR internet. I stated my opinion, you stated yours. No need to get snippy. ;-) I am sure that we both love the wreck equally. I just want to be sure that the OT stuff doesn't get as bad in here as it was a few months ago.

1. Woodworking 2. OT threads regarding the wreck.
Sorry if I came across as "snippy". I of course know the internet wasn't invented just for my pleasure. My point was that it's everybody's and no one knows what others are interested in. Yes it's a woodworking group so that is the main focus, but for some of us it's also more than just an anonymous group of posters. These are some of my woodworking buddies and what interests them might interest me as well. If not because I'm really interested then because THEY are. In other words, as a friend I listen to what they want to talk about. Just like my "real" friends if I don't want to hear them rant and rave about Martha Stewart or some other topic I don't. With my real friends I either change the subject or tell them I don't care. With a newsgroup I just ignore the thread. It works for me. If it were mostly OT threads then I'd probably go away, but my guess is 95% or more of the topics are directly related to woodworking.
Anyway, good luck to your quest of changing all the OT posters. I'm not putting any money on you being successful though.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"wthlti" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
<snip>
How 'bout those Trailblazers? SH
"wthlti" wrote in message

<snip>
All that aside, what do you REALLY think about MicroPlanet Gravity v2.50?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03