OT: Please send this link to everyone one your mailing list

Page 1 of 12
Americans better pay attention too!
-----Original Message----- What a chilling scenario!
Go to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTq2NEUlhDE

"Tom" wrote

Sorry, Dude ... few Americans are capable of paying attention.
... unless it's to the latest reality TV, that is.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I know, but I'm an eternally optimistic cynic.
If we (ones that DO pay attention) continually beat the others over the head with the truth, maybe some will sink in!) Tom
On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:24:12 -0600, Tom wrote:

Hasn't worked yet.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

If you take away the guns from honest people, only the politicians will have guns.
<snip>
If you take away the guns from honest people, only the politicians will have guns.
Politicians are a synonym for crook, right? Tom

Not always. The power structure that supports them is.
911 don't work?? Try .357
In article <d58f93e7-956a-49a2-a74a-1fa68915cb17

kleptocracy.
In this vein I submit the following tale. I hope is properly explains the nature of a "politician".
P D Q
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Monday a florist goes to a barber for a haircut. After the cut he asked about his bill and the barber replies, 'I cannot accept money from you. I'm doing community service this week.' The florist was pleased and left the shop.
When the barber goes to open his shop the next morning there is a 'thank you' card and a dozen roses waiting for him at his door.
Later, a cop comes in for a haircut, and when he tries to pay his bill, the barber again replies, 'I cannot accept money from you. I'm doing community service this week.' The cop is happy and leaves the shop.
Wednesday morning when the barber goes to open up there is a 'thank you' card and a dozen donuts waiting for him at his door.
Later that day, a college professor comes in for a haircut, and when he tries to pay his bill, the barber again replies, 'I cannot accept money from you. I'm doing community service this week. ' The professor is very happy and leaves the shop.
Thursday morning when the barber opens his shop, there is a 'thank you' card and a dozen different books, such as 'How to Improve Your Business' and 'Becoming More Successful.
'Then, a MP comes in for a haircut, and when he goes to pay his bill the barber again replies, 'I cannot accept money from you. I'm doing community service this week.' The MP is very happy and leaves the shop.
Friday morning when the barber goes to open up, there are a dozen MP's lined up waiting for a free haircut.
And that, my friends, illustrates the fundamental difference between the citizens of our country and the members of our Parliament.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

kleptocracy.

Not to worry the Junior Senator from NY is on the right side of this issue.
<snip>
Not to worry the Junior Senator from NY is on the right side of this issue.
I am underwhelmed! :<) Tom
And it wouldn't hurt to try and recruit as many as possible to the NRA and donate what is allowable by your means to the Political fight funds. Tom
<MY orig. snipped>

My money will go to Carolyn McCarthy. I have no objection to gun ownership, if the owners are properly licensed and trained. I don't like crooks, crazies, and kids to have guns they don't know how to use. I'm 64 and still haven't learned, and I won't likely learn to use a gun either. I'm too hotheaded.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

So what would you consider to be "properly licensed and trained"?
--John

I have no real good idea, but in order to be able to drive legally, you need to provide evidence of knowledge and ability to drive. Moreover, you need to have a vehicle that is registered and inspected. Why not the same with guns?
At a minimum, possession of a fireweapon should be allowed only upon demonstrated know how of its workings and ability to properly utilize it. In addition, you should be able to show how you came into possession of it.
I know this may go against the frontier mentality of some in the US, but we are not living in the 1600's anymore.
And I agree, it will be almost impossible to legislate and protect against all aberrant behavior, as shown by the 20 year-old who entered a day care center in Dendermonde, Belgium and knifed 2 babies and an adult to death. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090123/ap_on_re_eu/eu_belgium_stabbings http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendermonde_nursery_attack
I couldn't possibly imagine what drove someone to do that.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

And every day people who have provided that evidence are involved in collisions that result in loss of life. We do not in general require licenses to ride "pedalcycles" however if you check the numbers you will find that more people die every year in "pedalcycle" accidents than in firearms accidents. So if there is a need for licensing and training of operators of firearms there is even more need for licensing and training of operators of "pedalcycles".
Further, training is no guarantee that there will be no accidents. Read the papers and you will find that police, who I think you will agree are "trained", experience firearms accidents with some regularity.
Most deaths involving firearms are the result of deliberate, intentional, and unlawful misuse of firearms. Can you explain to us how licensing and training will prevent such misuse?
Beyond that, the UK has an absolute ban on private possession of handguns. They also have a rising incidence of the use of handguns in crime. If an absolute ban does not help then how will licensing and training help?

Registration of vehicles is primarily for tax purposes. We have enough damn taxes in our society already. There is a secondary identification function but that is useful mainly because the marker plate is large enough to be read from a distance. Are you proposing that anyone who owns a firearm hang a marker plate on his back or something? If not then what, exactly, is the function that you believe that such registration will serve?
As for inspection, inspection is primarily for emissions, not safety. Is there some epidemic of air pollution from firearms that Al Gore has not yet discovered? But even if the inspection is for safety, is there some epidemic of injuries or deaths due to malfunctioning firearms? If not then what purpose will be served by such inspections? And how often do you think they should be performed? And by who?

And what societal problem will this solve? Personally I would prefer that criminals in possession of "fireweapons" _not_ know how to properly utilize them. As for "know how of its workings", what kind of "know how" do you mean?

And how will our society be better off because someone has a sales receipt?

It has nothing to do with "frontier mentality". Show us how your proposed requirements will make our society better in some way. Criminals don't obey the law. That's what makes them criminals. Licensing and registration affect the law abiding, they do not affect criminals.

--John

The only comment I can make on that statement is that the rigours needed to get licensed for a firearm might discourage some from doing so, resulting in fewer legal gun ownerships and fewer being stolen. While many guns are smuggled up to Canada from the US, a significant number of them are obtained by way of theft.
Certainly not a perfect solution, but one of many ways to prevent the obtaining of a gun for criminal purposes.

in
obtained
Kind of like cutting off your hand to get rid of the wart on your finger.

Well, you've heard the old saying. 'All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing' (or words to that effect). An attempt to do something is better than doing nothing as far as I'm concerned. And by that doing something, I'm not talking about arming everybody.
I wonder what kind of death rate by gun there was in the old west where everybody was armed. My guess would be that the population ratio versus gun death of responsible citizens was much higher than it is now.

gun
Much lower.