OT: Ping -Mike- My kid rocks on the drums.

Child prodigy? Maybe... :^)

GarageWoodworks

Tama Custome Maple set I say keep him banging.

My older daughter just left back to college so I get to setup my Roland TD20 set again in her room (my studio) so I'll be punching out some of my own riffs soon. Even though I just saw that Roland has a newer version of TD system on the market so it is back to saving up another $7k to upgrade because I need to have the best.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I only wish it was really him playing :^)

I bought the set for my 7-year old and I play the dam thing more than the kids!!

I can play a few 'basic' beats and I've made up my own fills, but they are kinda weak. What kills me the most with playing is counting, Is it necessary to always count? Or is just recommended for beginners until they get the feel for it?

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

I hate how the audio and video never seem to sync up on youtube, though. ;-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

LOL :^)

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Reply to
Steve Turner

Tama Custome Maple set I say keep him banging.

My older daughter just left back to college so I get to setup my Roland TD20 set again in her room (my studio) so I'll be punching out some of my own riffs soon. Even though I just saw that Roland has a newer version of TD system on the market so it is back to saving up another $7k to upgrade because I need to have the best.

That wasn't the kid playing, you know. First hint was the extreme hum from the recording. Second hind was that drums were playing without him having to touch them.

Reply to
CW

Yes, pretty much any teacher is going to recommend that you count, and though you'll eventually reach a point where you can internalize it and stop doing it explicitly, its value never really goes away. Even the top pros still use it as a fundamental tool for learning new rhythms. Part of learning to drum is teaching all your limbs to work independently from each other while still working together, and in a way you can view the act of counting as yet another independent and cooperating "limb". Also, picture yourself (someday) as a drummer who can also sing (assuming you can carry a tune!). I'm willing to bet that most singing drummers are also counting drummers, or could do so quite easily.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Yep ... and that magic hat with an amazing snappy snare sound! ;)

Reply to
Swingman

On a side note... see how far you can drop those toms down over the bass drum and flatten out the floor tom... maybe he'll be able to sit down while playing. Never too early to get him started on an efficient technique.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I positioned them that way for me because I cant get them interested. :^( Are they still in a crazy position even for me?

It's crazy. When I was a kid I begged for a drum set and NEVER got one (cue the tears.) These kids have one and it's like pulling teeth to get them to sit at it. Maybe my oldest would benefit from lessons.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

You aren't supposed to notice those details!

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

My oldest was a concert percussionist in school from Grade 7 to grade 13, and a damn good one too. (being an old musician way back). Played at some larger halls in concert..had a tough music teacher but the kids were dedicated and it showed.

Trouble is, even at 33 years old now he stills likes c)RAP and hip-hop where they put on a $25 drum box , with a simple beat, and act stupid too it. I don't get it.

It's crazy. When I was a kid I begged for a drum set and NEVER got one (cue the tears.) These kids have one and it's like pulling teeth to get them to sit at it. Maybe my oldest would benefit from lessons.

Reply to
Josepi

Not necessarily. For good technique, in general, the stick should be in line with your forearm at the time the stick strikes the drum. The angle at which the stick strikes the head should be very acute, close to parallel. The shoulder of the stick should be pretty close to the rim of the drum when striking.

This may be a good reason to buy them a quieter instrument. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Nah, I love the sound of the drums. Of course they sound better with rhythm. They sound better after getting all new top heads (Remo Pinstripes). I recently replaced the cymbals with Sabian B8's (affordable and sound ok). I also added a splash. I still, I mean the kids, still need a ride.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

I'm glad you owned up. It looked like it was him at the start, but then the drumming seemed to be coming from someone, or some thing, other than him.

Reply to
willshak

Uhhh yeah, I could kinda tell. I have been playing for about 40 years. Nice trick though and always good to getthem started young.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

=A0Maybe my oldest would benefit from lessons....

Well, a good teacher will start them with stick control and boring drills so if they don't have the interest to get started this may not be the best instrument to develop interest in that way. It was 4 years of snare or bass or cymble or glockinspiel or clave' before they let me sit on a full kit.

I think drum kits should be setup to look as cool as possible without obscuring the obligatory tortuous face expressions of the drummer during balls-out solos.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

You play? Cool... didn't know.

Reply to