OT: Ping -MIKE- drum question

Page 2 of 2
On 3/20/10 3:54 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

I don't think you could do much better than, "One two three four five six s'ven eight nine ten 'l-ven, One two three four five six s'ven eight nine ten 'l-ven, One two three four five six s'ven eight nine ten 'l-ven."
--

-MIKE-

Steve, we've officially passed the monthly total of percussion related posts of that percussion group you and I frequent. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 3/20/2010 3:32 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Yep, it's a virtual ghost town over there. I'd bet we lost quite a few regulars in the recent wave of ISPs shutting down their news servers, in spite of it being relatively easy to find an alternative.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
On 3/20/10 3:49 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

Except for the village idiot posing as someone else trying to get some traffic on his youtube channel.
oops, wait a sec. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Ok, that gave me a headache just thinking about trying to play that. Not ready for that yet. You know what though? It needed 'more' cow bell! :^P

On 3/20/2010 3:21 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

LOL! No doubt; the cowbell needs to move up to the five or seven spot! :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
On 3/20/10 3:38 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

Note to self: replace cowbell with woodblock.
--

-MIKE-

Hell no! Needs 'MORE' cowbell. :^)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mie9hhQTUM

I got a fevah!
--

-MIKE-

On 3/20/2010 4:31 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

There's an app for that .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyG7DdXnkfU&feature=related

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Holy shit! Only 99 cents too.

On 3/20/2010 3:21 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Cowbell should only be played at winter olympic events ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Um... Wow.
On 3/20/10 2:23 PM, Swingman wrote:

You know, I don't think I have a link to those on my actual web-site.
Anyway... I find for those kinds of exercises that OCD and ADD make very good bedfellows. :-)
--

-MIKE-

I forgot to mention that they are Vater sticks (If I remember correctly - I'm out now)
My next purchase (after I get a job) for the kit are going to be new cymbals. The ones that came w/ the kit are beat to shit already. The top hi-hat will actually invert sometimes when struck. :^(

On 3/20/10 2:27 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Feel free to contact me when that happens.
For now, I would recommend Sabian XS-20 http://www.sabian.com/EN/products/xs20.cfm
They are the best sounding "budget" line I've heard.
I ran across them when I was on a rental kit at a rehearsal studio (SIR) here in Nashville. I played them for a few hours and was very pleased that the rental kit had "nice" cymbals, for a change. I asked the manager when they started putting good cymbals on their kits. He said that they never did. So I looked them up and discovered they were a mid-level line.
Check them out when you're ready. They certainly are more expensive than the intro-level stuff you'll come across. But a LOT cheaper than high end stuff and they sound good enough to keep and play if he decides to stick with it and get better drums some day.
--

-MIKE-

Sheesh, sorry I got here late. Being an avid drummer myself (40+ years), finding a drum related question on the wreck is a real joy.
I was playing pinstripes when they first came out and love them. Just live enough with some good flattening of the overtones. Yes, stick marks should be viewed as a thing of pride. The more you have the more you feel like a real drummer. After a while they can also tell you how accurate you are. My snare heads always start loosing some of the coating just to the left of center. and maintain a tight centered circle.
I know play on a top end Roland electronics set. It feels better than a real set. I slap on the headphones and I can play at 3 in the morning (as I often do) and not wake my daughetr in the next room.

On 3/22/10 11:52 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

At one time I discovered that most snares sound better hit slightly off-center. Dead center strikes are a little too dead. It's nice if you want that, but I like the bit of resonance you get from hitting off-center

--

-MIKE-

Yeah, I think my perpensity (sp) to play off center is to position my left stick to be positioned for the best rim shot sound when I need it so I just play in that same postion so whenever I throw one I don't have to adjust my alignment. Yes, every position on the skin has it's own reasonace pattern and it is very natural to be selective.