OT: Ping -MIKE- drum question

Page 1 of 2
Mike,
I finally got new heads for my kids kit. I got Remo Pinstripes for the toms and a Remo EmperorX snare head.
After use there are a lot of scuff marks where the tips of the sticks (nylon tips) hit the heads. Is this normal? Will this effect the sound?
On 3/20/10 1:41 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Yes, it's normal. No, it won't effect the sound.
BTW, if those are promark sticks, last time I checked, they have a lifetime guarantee on the nylon tips. Every now and then, one will crack or pop off the end. If you send the pair back to ProMark, they'll send you a new pair, plus another pair to compensate for your shipping them back.
I can't remember if you read the drum tuning info on my website.... but you can get a lot great information by youtubing: "Bob Gatzen." He has a great DVD, but most of it has been on youtube for a while. Of course, I would prefer you buy the DVD, but you can get some previews on youtube.
--

-MIKE-

Ok good. Thank you! And yes, I did check out your tuning webpage. Lots of good info.

On 3/20/2010 2:17 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Did you catch the polyrhythm thing(s)?
You do know that you to have undergo a separate brain implant to do that, right?
:)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Not sure what you a refering to, but I could definetly use a new brain implant. :P

On 3/20/10 2:31 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Oh geez.... :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?vD3n8Udr77k

--

-MIKE-

On 3/20/2010 2:48 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Oh Lord, please, not again! ... protect us from this feeling of musical inferiority!
:)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On 3/20/10 2:56 PM, Swingman wrote:

Don't confuse musicality with technicality. There's nothing musical about that clip. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 15:08:40 -0500, the infamous -MIKE-

I'll record it and play it for my neighbor's dog when it barks. Maybe THAT will finally get her to shut up her effin' "guard dog". I guess I'll have to warn the other neighbors, though, huh? ;)
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
On 3/21/10 12:33 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Don't get me started. We have one neighbor who's dog barks all day and another who's dog barks all night.
Now, the one is at work all day, so how do they know unless someone tells them? But the other is there.... all I can conclude is that he doesn't care about his neighbors.
--

-MIKE-

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 12:40:47 -0500, the infamous -MIKE-

It's almost tempting enough to go have a talk with the local Chinese restaurant food buyer, isn't it?
P.S: Mike, how do you keep your drums from bothering neighbors?
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
On 3/21/10 3:25 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Reminds me of the joke, "I don't care if there's any M.S.G. in my Chinese food. I'm more worried that there might be some D.O.G. in there."

Firstly, I'm in an inside room, in a partial basement, with half the house blocking one neighbor, and a garage with cinder block wall with exterior brick blocking the other. But that doesn't block everything.
Secondly, since I (at least try to) do this for a living, I have the luxury of practicing during the day, so many of them don't hear it anyway.
Thirdly, I told my neighbors (and repeated it when their baby arrived) to *please* tell me if the playing ever bothers them at any time and I'll make arrangements to practice at another time. I also have pads I can put on the drums and cymbals to knock down the volume from about 9 to 4, which make them virtually silent, outside.
I'm guessing my neighbors, like me, consider the loud truck mufflers and cars with sub-woofers that cause involuntary bowel movements in our neighborhood as the noise pollution.
--

-MIKE-

On 3/21/2010 3:42 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

<SPRAY!> <wipes off monitor> <checks shorts>
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

That reminds me of a joke/cartoon. A little old bald man is standing, holding his crotch and saying
"With age come skills. I can LAUGH, COUGH, SNEEZE, FART, and PEE, all at the same time."
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 15:42:25 -0500, the infamous -MIKE-

Very good. You're whole lot more compassionate than most.

Don't ya just love those? I really dislike the bouncing of my truck those cause when they pull up next to me.
How many hands go up when someone thinks of a 12ga solution to that problem?
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
scrawled the following:

Larry,
Makes me wish someone would invent a hand-help EMP device that was focused enough to just point at the offender and ZAAAAP!!!! No more stereo!
Steve
On 24 Mar 2010 03:13:21 GMT, the infamous Steve

I wonder what a taser would do to an amp if triggerd into a woofer voicecoil...
-- Seen on a bumper sticker: ARM THE HOMELESS
On 3/20/2010 2:56 PM, Swingman wrote:

Even three against two is pretty hard for a lot of drummers to grasp, but once you do it opens up whole new realms of possibility. I'd been playing for a good 8 or 10 years (a year or so of lessons, then mostly self-taught from there on out) before three against two even dawned on me; but it's a piece of cake for me now and I use it all the time. I can get though Mike's little exercise of five against three against two without too much trouble, but adding the seven in there would probably take me a while. I'm not sure what the hell I'd do with it once I got there though! :-)
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On 3/20/10 3:21 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

Most guys use it without even knowing it, every time they play in 6/8. 3 with hats and the 2 between the kick and snare.

You and me, both. I have no idea what to do, except add 11 with voice. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 3/20/2010 3:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

True. I think it was a 6/8 tune that first got me thinking about the concept.

The only way I'd be interested in listening to that is if you let me write the lyrics. :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.