OT: Ping -MIKE- drum question

Mike,

I finally got new heads for my kids kit. I got Remo Pinstripes for the toms and a Remo EmperorX snare head.

After use there are a lot of scuff marks where the tips of the sticks (nylon tips) hit the heads. Is this normal? Will this effect the sound?

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Yes, it's normal. No, it won't effect the sound.

BTW, if those are promark sticks, last time I checked, they have a lifetime guarantee on the nylon tips. Every now and then, one will crack or pop off the end. If you send the pair back to ProMark, they'll send you a new pair, plus another pair to compensate for your shipping them back.

I can't remember if you read the drum tuning info on my website.... but you can get a lot great information by youtubing: "Bob Gatzen." He has a great DVD, but most of it has been on youtube for a while. Of course, I would prefer you buy the DVD, but you can get some previews on youtube.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Ok good. Thank you! And yes, I did check out your tuning webpage. Lots of good info.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Did you catch the polyrhythm thing(s)?

You do know that you to have undergo a separate brain implant to do that, right?

:)

Reply to
Swingman

I forgot to mention that they are Vater sticks (If I remember correctly - I'm out now)

My next purchase (after I get a job) for the kit are going to be new cymbals. The ones that came w/ the kit are beat to shit already. The top hi-hat will actually invert sometimes when struck. :^(

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Not sure what you a refering to, but I could definetly use a new brain implant. :P

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Feel free to contact me when that happens.

For now, I would recommend Sabian XS-20

are the best sounding "budget" line I've heard.

I ran across them when I was on a rental kit at a rehearsal studio (SIR) here in Nashville. I played them for a few hours and was very pleased that the rental kit had "nice" cymbals, for a change. I asked the manager when they started putting good cymbals on their kits. He said that they never did. So I looked them up and discovered they were a mid-level line.

Check them out when you're ready. They certainly are more expensive than the intro-level stuff you'll come across. But a LOT cheaper than high end stuff and they sound good enough to keep and play if he decides to stick with it and get better drums some day.

Reply to
-MIKE-

You know, I don't think I have a link to those on my actual web-site.

Anyway... I find for those kinds of exercises that OCD and ADD make very good bedfellows. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Oh geez.... :-)

-MIKE-

inferiority!

:)

Reply to
Swingman

Don't confuse musicality with technicality. There's nothing musical about that clip. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Even three against two is pretty hard for a lot of drummers to grasp, but once you do it opens up whole new realms of possibility. I'd been playing for a good 8 or 10 years (a year or so of lessons, then mostly self-taught from there on out) before three against two even dawned on me; but it's a piece of cake for me now and I use it all the time. I can get though Mike's little exercise of five against three against two without too much trouble, but adding the seven in there would probably take me a while. I'm not sure what the hell I'd do with it once I got there though! :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Not ready for that yet. You know what though? It needed 'more' cow bell! :^P

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Most guys use it without even knowing it, every time they play in 6/8.

3 with hats and the 2 between the kick and snare.

You and me, both. I have no idea what to do, except add 11 with voice. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Steve, we've officially passed the monthly total of percussion related posts of that percussion group you and I frequent. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

LOL! No doubt; the cowbell needs to move up to the five or seven spot! :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Cowbell should only be played at winter olympic events ...

Reply to
Swingman

Yep, it's a virtual ghost town over there. I'd bet we lost quite a few regulars in the recent wave of ISPs shutting down their news servers, in spite of it being relatively easy to find an alternative.

Reply to
Steve Turner

True. I think it was a 6/8 tune that first got me thinking about the concept.

The only way I'd be interested in listening to that is if you let me write the lyrics. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Note to self: replace cowbell with woodblock.

Reply to
-MIKE-