[OT] Ping Linux-using Woodworkers

FYI, on TLUG (Tokyo LUG) today:
On Tuesday, Oct. 28, 2008, any one visiting the CodeWeavers' Web site (www.codeweavers.com) will be given a deal code that will entitle them to one free copy of CodeWeavers' award-winning CrossOver software. Each copy comes complete with support.
http://www.codeweavers.com/about/general/press/20081027 /
Too good to not pass along.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:49:10 -0500, Morris Dovey wrote:

The Linux application CrossOver has a free version which I tried. CrossOver creates a software shell that will allow some windows applications to run on a Linux OS system (one must be using one of the standard Linux Graphical interfaces like KDE or GNOME.)
The problem is there is only a limited number of Widows applications that will run with CrossOver or WINE. I wanted my TurboCAD or CorelDraw to run on my Linux box, but no joy!
The Linux Inkscape Vector Graphic program just isn't ready for prime time as a Woodworkers sketching CAD program like the SketchUp which runs on Windows and MAC operating systems.
Phil Again wrote:

I have the same difficulties, but didn't want anyone who could use the freebie to miss out. Note that this offer /includes/ support which is a bit unusual...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Phil Again wrote:

VMware Server is a free download and will let you run Windows as a guest on a linux host machine.
It's got some limitations as compared to the for-pay VMware Workstation, but for a single home user it's probably good enough.
Chris
Phil Again wrote:

Freudian slip there? :-)

Yep, various graphics intensive programs and those with extreme digital restrictions management (DRM) schemes don't work well. I wound up moving from TurboCAD to VariCAD. That actually turned out to be a great move; I can draft models in VariCAD much faster than I could in TurboCAD. I've found that Lotus 123 (yep, I have, however managed to break free of it; I had a spreadsheet set with macros in 123 I did not want to give up).
Doesn't work with TaxCut, but does work with TaxAct. Doesn't work well with KeyNote personal information manager but does well with TreePad.
Bottom line: Crossover doesn't work with everything, but in my case, it works with enough so that I don't have to have a Windows license to run a virtual machine.