OT- Pickup Truck Drawer System

Page 2 of 2
Tue, Oct 2, 2007, 7:42am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@eznet.net (DerbyDad03) doth mumble: I don't own a pickup truck so I'm curious about what truck owners think of the drawer system built on this episode of Wasted Spaces. http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_parts_accessories/article/0,2021,DIY_13690_5708055,00.html It seems practical, but as a non-truck owner, I don't know what I don't know.
What's not to know? It starts out saying: "Contractor Matt Hill's truck is his home away from home and good storage on the road is crucial to getting the job done." Seems pretty self-explanatory to me, I'm surrised you felt the need to ask.
It's part of his making a living, so, yeah, it's practical. For him. For me, who owns a 1978 Chevy El Camino daily driver, and don't need something like that, no, not practical - for me it would just be a junk collector. However, I have been considering making a compartmentalized box type thingie (that's a professional term), on the tailgate end of the bed,. It would be held in pace by the wheelwells, and would hold the jack, spare, lug wrench, and provide a bit of holding space for groceries, etc.,to keep the stuff from sliding around, maybe with a hinged top. For me, "that" would be practical.

Wasted Time. Much too difficult to get at what you need, much too easy for someone to steal. Takes up too much space in the bed. Too much excess weight to haul around.
--
Regards,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_parts_accessories/article/0,2021,DIY_13690_5708055,00.html
My work truck came from the outfitter with something similar. It's a great idea until the first time you try to open/close one of the drawers and realize you have about 500 lb. of tools in the drawer.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

Last month's Fine Homebuilding had a similar version as a Tip column but the guy mounted the drawers on roller wheels and used an upper roller to prevent the boxes from tipping as they were pulled out. This one just sliding will get hard to pull if it isn't already once it wears a little, for sure.

dpb wrote:

Mine has a single roller across the width at the cab end. This causes you to have to lift the drawer and its entire contents to open/close it. Along with the lost depth of the bed, which is unavailable when needed, I'd rip it out if I were allowed to.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

Think these go under the category of "different strokes..." :)
Just depends on how one uses the truck as to whether giving up the depth for the storage is a useful tradeoff or not. For me on the farm w/ the diesel and gas transfer tanks which take up almost half unfortunately and needing room for stuff other than tools and the types of tools changing from one job to another, they're not the deal. The side mount boxes for the handtools for equipment repair are ok, the rest is for whatever is the "job of the day"...

About 25 years ago I made drawers for my truck which I used for camping. I had 3 drawers about 1.3 feet square by 8 feet long. They had 3 compartments. A sheet of plywood on top of the drawers and a mattress on top of that. The truck had a camper shell. There were no rollers for the drawers. It was very convenient and not very hard to use. I used it for many years.

I own a pickup but I'm not a contractor. If my truck were my office and shop, something like that might be practical although I'd want to see how those drawers work when they're fully loaded, in the rain, and when it's minus 20 degrees.
But since I use my truck for hauling yard waste, lumber, furniture and whatever, I want the space those drawers take up more than I want the drawers.

Well, the drawers would allow you to keep the yard waste separate from the furniture. ;-)

It depends... I have a similar truck (long bed, small cab) that I use for the bed capacity, not hauling tools around. In my case, the drawer system would be a bigger hassle than not having it.
It's a good idea, just not right for me.
Puckdropper

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_parts_accessories/article/0,2021,DIY_13690_5708055,00.html
The answers are yes, no, definitely, and maybe.
It all depends on what you use your truck for. Anything that helps organize you, keeps your tools dry and safe from theft, or just improves your efficiency is a good thing. I have owned many "work trucks", and each was totally different on what was functional and efficient on it. I do really like to see a guy show up who's organized and has his stuff all together. I had a guy show up to install a satellite dish, and he didn't even have a drill! If they look organized, they probably are, and do good work. When they look totally disorganized, they probably are.
Steve
I do own a pickup and once built a wooden version of the Jobbox for the bed.
Moisture will be a problem. DAMHIKT.
Security/theft issues aside, which others have already raised, you don't want to leave good gack in those drawers for any length of time because it will rust unless you live in someplace like Arizona.
Honestly, from the look of those photos, I'd expect to see a good inch or two of water in those drawers after a good rainstorm, or after 3 inches of snow melts.
J.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_parts_accessories/article/0,2021,DIY_13690_5708055,00.html
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 21:34:56 -0700, Smitty Two

Lots of contractors work inside. <G>
B A R R Y wrote:

...and in the rain. :-(
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

And in the rain, INSIDE, in future FedEx sorting centers. <G>
Windsor Locks, 1998...
Wed, Oct 3, 2007, 12:29am YouCanCallMe snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (J.) doth sayeth: <snip> Honestly, from the look of those photos, I'd expect to see a good inch or two of water in those drawers after a good rainstorm, or after 3 inches of snow melts.
I don't see any problem. All you'd have to do would be to ensure the cover/top was waterproof, so no water will go thru. Then the water will drain along the edges, and drain out at the back of the pickup bed. If you're worried about water soaking in from below, the beds I've seen have "ridges" to let the water flow back;' but if that's not enough, make sure the bottom of the drawers are an inch or so off the truck bed.
The older pickups had a chain, with a hook, to hold the tailgate. You could use a padlock on those, no problem. The '80 Luv my sons are supposed to be working on for me has kinda lunchbox latches on it, and if I recall right, a hole on each made to take a paclock - I know I've seen pickups with those type latches anyway. If I worried about security, with this type of tool carrier, I'd definitely put hasps on each side, with a couple of good padlocks - and to Hell with looks - anyway, with the padlocks off, the hasps would be barely noticeable.
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 21:34:56 -0700, Smitty Two

But even if you don't work in the rain, when it rains you have to go home. Or you could always leave early enough so that you are home before it rains.

Coming as an option from FORD in the '08 F-150s

my drawer unit is one of best purchases, saves tons of time finding stuff.
one drawer is all tools, different types roughly in different areas. frequently used stuff where drawer doesnt need opened all the way.
a different drawer is all long stuff, rollers mandrells and the like.
2 rd drawer is electrical and mechanical parts mostly in bags for easy access.
I fix machines for a living, this purchase has helped a lot.
although my Garmin c330 navigator is GREAT, for finding customers!