OT- Pickup Truck Drawer System

Page 1 of 2
I don't own a pickup truck so I'm curious about what truck owners think of the drawer system built on this episode of Wasted Spaces.
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_parts_accessories/article/0,2021,DIY_13690_5708055,00.html
It seems practical, but as a non-truck owner, I don't know what I don't know.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_parts_accessories/article/0,2021,DIY_13690_5708055,00.html
Works for some people, not for others. That was easy.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_parts_accessories/article/0,2021,DIY_13690_5708055,00.html
I would be concerned about security. Is there any way to lock this thing up? A thief could completely clear out those "drawers" in a minute or two.
It is not just having the tools handy, but keeping them from being stolen. That is the reality of living in today's world.

I assume that if the bed is secured to the truck and the tailgate can be locked in some manner, then the drawers would be both hidden and inaccessible.

Truck tailgates are typically not lockable -- kinda pointless when the bed is completely open anyway, ya know...
--
Regards,
On 2 Oct, 11:37, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Typically not lockable, or typically don't come standard with locks?
Lot's of tailgate locks, both keyed and powered, available via Google.
e.g. http://www.truckaccessorizer.com/store/pro_tailgate_locks.htm

But in this case, the bed would cover the storage system and would have to be removed in order to reach the contents, assuming a tailgate lock was installed.

Sorry, don't come standard with locks.

You kinda answered your own question there, you know -- if they did come standard with locks, there wouldn't be an aftermarket.

Right, I was explaining why pickups don't come standard with locks on the tailgate.
--
Regards,
On 2 Oct, 13:19, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I wasn't answering my own question, cuz I wasn't asking a question about locks. I was asking a question about what you were trying to say, which you have cleared up. Thanks for that.
re: -- if they did come standard with locks, there wouldn't be an aftermarket.
Well, if you want to get all semantical about this, there are lots of aftermarket replacements for standard equipment. :-)

on 10/2/2007 1:19 PM Doug Miller said the following:

Some Nissan Frontier pickups after 1998 came with locking tailgates. I remember looking at one in the showroom and I asked the salesguy why it had a locking tailgate if you can reach in and take anything out of the bed. He said it wasn't to safeguard anything in the bed, it was to prevent the theft of the tailgate.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The locking tailgate helps if you have a hard cover, some of which are still flexible enough to be bent upward by a couple of muscular thieves.
The BEST purchase I ever made was one of these, a 3 drawer unit, that fits my dodge caravan. Actually over 12 years ago I bought 2 stacked but only use one these days, the other is stored in my shed, if anyone around pittsburgh wants to buy one:) I repair office machines for a living, the 6 inch deep drawers with rollers move easily. The only hassle is moving unit between vans. Filled with parts and tools its more than one or 2 people can lift:( I remove the drawers and take out the frame. The dividers arent used much my stuff slides around self limiting its location.
Makes finding stuff so much easier than any other thing I ever tried

Is that really true? Maybe it was there for people who buy popup campers and all the other accessories which might be easier to steal if the tailgate is opened. Wouldn't a lot of people have more respect for a factory lock than one they installed themselves, and maybe it really would be better if it's inside a welded tailgate and can't be removed, instead no harder to remove than it was to install.

Doug Miller wrote:

There is an after market tailgate lock made for most pickups. I think "pop n' lock" or similar. Not only does it provide protection for drawer type setups, it's also applicable for pickups with caps and helps prevent theft of the tailgate itself which does happen.
on 10/2/2007 11:17 AM Lee Michaels said the following:

I would think that you need a tailgate lock, OE or aftermarket.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Tailgate locks are relatively easy to find and install, and are now offered as options on many trucks.
Phone and CATV installers have had similar drawer systems with double rear door utility caps over the bed. The rear doors lock the drawers in place.
I'd worry without any sort of lock.

Standard on new Tundra's. ;~)

And on 1999 F-150s

The absence of a lock was standard on my 02 Tacoma.

Well, there are locks, and there are locks. Most 'pretty' flush-mount built-in factory locks are pretty flimsy, and often soon succumb to weather grunge, rust, metal fatigue from the constant vibration, and the prybars of the local vultures. Parts of this town (and other towns I have lived in) are pretty nasty, and over the years I have seen many a service body or cap where the pretty factory locks have been augmented by heavy duty hasps and hardened padlocks with weather boots. This is on private trucks and corporate/government fleet vehicles. I drive a desk for a living now, but if I ever needed that sort of storage on a vehicle, I'd gravitate toward the models with factory hasps integrated into the design, vs. pretty flush-mount lock cylinders that were not strong enough to deter anything more than crimes of opportunity. If the contents of the truck are worth as much as the truck, I can live with stone-age looks.
aem sends...
on 10/2/2007 10:42 AM DerbyDad03 said the following:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_parts_accessories/article/0,2021,DIY_13690_5708055,00.html
I own a pickup, but I don't need it.
--

Bill