OT -- Phoney sites about phoney towns.

Page 1 of 2
You're a group with eclectic interests and maybe someone here can help me...or get me started.
My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine. As an introduction to viruses, chat room dangers, spyware, malware, etc., they're about to learn that -- especially on the internet -- things are not alway what they seem.
That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking sites for towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and google has not been my friend.
Any help much appreciated. Any thoughts on what else 11 - 14 year olds ought to know about the net (their knowledge seems to be a mile deep (msn) but an inch wide) would also be welcome.
Thank you.
Ken
I know of no real fake sites, but here are some which might teach some critical thinking:
A good introduction to political doublespeak: http://www.whitehouse.org/kids/index.asp http://whitehouse.org / http://www.westernwhitehouse.org /
The 14 year olds should have some fun with this one. http://www.landoverbaptist.org /
-j

J wrote:

I suppose not... :)
Duane Bozarth wrote:

There's always: http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/FlatWhyFlat.htm
As far as I can tell, this guy's serious.
--RC

I think that guy needs to put his tinfoil hat back on...
Rob
http://www.amateurtermite.com
Rick Cook wrote:

Um, when trying to make the earth flat, should one use a jointer, or a planer? Would a 6" one do, or should I save up and buy the 8"?

If you read some of the other pages on his site, it appears to me that this guy has his tongue way, way back in his cheek.
todd
J wrote:

Well, I know of one such site -- but it definitely isn't suitable for classroom use.
I second the suggestion on critical thinking. Internet users have got to understand that they are their own filter and their own evaluator. You might drive the point home to them with one or two really wacko sites.
--RC

... snip

Seems that the sites "J" listed fit that bill, but they aren't exactly kid friendly.

just a couple: http://www.improbable.com / http://www.museumofhoaxes.com /
--
be safe.
flip

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.tnx wrote:

help
suitable
looking
I don;t know any about fake towns. How about a fake University?
http://universityofnigeria.com /
A fake prduct:
http://www.carbonfreediamonds.com /

Spamhaus.org has a list of fake "remove me from your spam list" sites here:
http://www.spamhaus.org/removelists.html
And surely you must get frequent phishing emails referring you to fake webpages set up for identity theft and credit card fraud. Soem of those can last for weeks if they are hosted by a major telecomunications company.
I get them every day as well as viruses sent as fake microsoft update attachments etc.
I can also refer you to some government sites with false information if you want your students to learn to challenge authority...
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net writes:

http://library.trinity.wa.edu.au/library/study/inthoax.htm
Has several
Republic of Molossia
The dangers of dihydrogen monoxide, etc.
http://www.gator.com/home2.html
Just one example of types of software to avoid. It generates popus based upon your browsing habits:
http://www.gainpublishing.com / http://www.gainpublishing.com/global/advertise /
This is one of the classics:
http://web.fvdes.com/teacher_resources/Web_Eval_TL/Mankato-Bogus/mankato.html
They used to have people coming to town wondering where the Submarine docks were (In Minnesota!!).. Local prof in teaching technology did it to show how gullible people were. Now there are lots of disclaimers on it, but the irate letter from the head of the Chamber of Commerce is real.

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 01:26:19 GMT, the inscrutable "Walt Cheever"

Good 'un! <snort>
P.S: To the OP, "phony" has no "e".
-- Vidi, Vici, Veni --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Walt Cheever wrote:

http://web.fvdes.com/teacher_resources/Web_Eval_TL/Mankato-Bogus/mankato.html
docks
There is a US Navy base in Idaho.
--

FF

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:01:42 -0800, fredfighter wrote:

...and an under sea warfare training center in Nevada.
- Doug

There's one in the mountains of Washington also, the Jim Creek VLF station. IIRC, the antenna array is actually strung between two mountain tops, and the "ground array" is many miles of copper cable buried in the valley floor, the buildings associated with it all have copper mesh in the walls, etc., and NO ONE outside when it's transmitting.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

One associated with submarines, even. (It's a nuclear reactor research and test facility.)
--RC