OT: Pet peeve.

Page 4 of 4
J T wrote:

I wave'em through. That way I KNOW what they are going to do because they've already done it.
Yes it is OK. My problem here in NY is that I work in a primarily college town. Run into this all day long. Usually some blonde with the name "Hoover" or "Eureka" stamped on her forehead to let everyone know her intelligence all the while talking on her Blackberry or whatever, smoking a cigarette, reading her class assignment and putting her makeup on. Then has the ignorance to flip you off for honking your horn because you would like to get moving through the second green light instead of her trying to get turned into Starbucks from the center lane.
Yes it is OK, in fact the next time you might want to reference what part of their family lineage that they should procreate with when the offender tells you that you should become a hermaphrodite. Make sure to address them as "Charmin" or "Cottonelle" or they might think you are talking to someone else.
As the bumper sticker says "Horn broken, Watch for finger"
Allen

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
snipped-for-privacy@topworks.ca says...

NZ special: you're going down a windy highway with the odd bit of straight. (There are few straight straight highways in this country). And going along in front of you is a heavily laden truck and trailer cattle truck, or a logging truck (brings us half way back on topic), or a Japanese tourist in a 'camper van' (basically a very small Winnebago) - which is fair enough, only they're being tail-gated by half a dozen little old ladies (of either gender) who have no fscking intention to overtake, ever, yet they all tailgate the slowpoke and each other. So you're looking at trying to overtake 50 - 100m of slowpokes with nary a chance to cut in should something come hurtling around the corner from the other direction, on roads that are mostly windy. Fun. Not a matter of a single light-change, but often a matter of 15 - 25 km before you can get past the bozos. And that often only because I drive a 200-ish hp Volvo that accelerates like a bat out of hell... Yeah, I like to hit the speedlimit from time to time. I don't go over much, because it's too expensive, but I hate sitting there at 70km/h for 20 minutes even when I don't have to be some place at a set hour.
By the same token, we now have an up-and-coming generation of teenage 'boy- racers' whose favourite trick, lately, seems to be to hit the accelerator the minute they see a cop cruiser with flashing lights (because they're afraid they'll get the car impounded or the license revoked or told off for having passengers they're not supposed to have on a limited license or because the car is stolen anyways) and so they go and pile into a bridge some place or hurtle over a cliff or whatever. We seem to have about 1 or 2 of these a month at the moment, in a country of 4 million. I can't feel too sorry for the idiots - as someone said: Darwin's Law in action. But they tend to have passengers ... and there's other people on that road.
-P.
Peter Huebner wrote: ...

But there's nothing unique in any of that (or any of the other "special" places or actions to NZ or any other place where there are moving vehicles on public thoroughfares.
dpb wrote:

has ever been able to rule the whole planet.

Not that special, except that many highways here really are quite windy (although not as windy as some mountainous roads in Italy that I've been down) but nowhere else have I seen this many 'little old ladies' tailgating. In most countries where I've driven (practially all over Europe) it's young and/or aggressive drivers doing the tailgating. Little old ladies there keep a safety distance so you can cut in.
cheers, -P.
Peter Huebner wrote:

Try Tennessee/Kentucky/West Virginia hill and coal country for windy... :)
I'll nominate California or any of the other mountain areas near the National Parks in the US up for the "old codger vacationing tailgating award" w/ anybody, unfortunately. These will have the occasional turnout for them to pull over to allow for backed-up traffic to pass, but no, 80% can't be bothered... :(
Ok, now tell us, what was your peeve like -before- you domesticated it?

[[.. munch ..]]