OT: Pet peeve.

Page 1 of 4
So, you pull up behind a guy at a red traffic signal. He's going where you're going. Straight. The lane to the right of you (normally for straight-through and right- turns) is filling up with cars. Then, the light goes green...and the IDIOT in front of you, puts on his left-turn signal. 20-30 cars coming from the other end, later..HE gets to make the left turn at the VERY end of the yellow..and there you are, like a farking idiot waiting for the light to change.
Is it wrong for me to get totally pissed at that?
honk
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Lean heavily, without cessation, on the horn ... even if she doesn't remove the cell phone from her ear and go straight, you'll have at least vented some artery clogging frustration.
... and what's with the these 20 something females tailgating on the freeway at 80 while driving with one leg cocked up in the seat?
Sheeesh, talk about faith in brakes ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

Recently, near Toronto, IIRC, 4 teens dead... the driver was frickin' TEXTING a message to one of her freinds at the time of the accident..
Robatoy wrote:

Five teenagers, Canandaigua, N.Y., a town about 10 miles southeast of Rochester, NY.
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
I actually don't mind their 'cleaning the gene pool', but WHY do they have to endanger the rest of us !!
Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop

Ron Magen wrote:

I'm slowly coming around to the opinion that all cars should be equipped with cell-phone jammers or some other technology to render cell phones unusable in a moving car. This is one where people will _not_ engage in any kind of common sense and laws prohibiting cell-phone use in cars seem to be substantially unenforceable.

--John

Bad idea. Very bad. You DON'T want to disable emergency calls, under any circumstances.

So prosecute people, or sue them, as applicable, when their irresponsible use of cell phones causes damage or injury.
--
Regards,
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:07:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Perhaps the operative word is "moving". I suspect that an emergency call from a moving car, especially one made by the driver, is even more dangerous to other parties on the road than one of the "Whatcadoing? I'm bored." variety.
If the phone call is important, why not pull off the road at a safe spot, stop the car, and make the call safely.
I've found that when I'm driving, even phone calls made by other passengers are distracting.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
On Sep 25, 12:41 pm, Tom Veatch wrote: .

My bet would be that the bulk of those emergency calls would, by default, be made from the side of the road.

Yessir. On my way back from my daughter's wedding, last Saturnday night my other two sweet daughters both flipped open their cell-phones and set the entire backseat aglow in fluorescent blue light... As we were on a dark country road, that startled me. Them little suckers really light up! If they're talking on them in the day-time, and I'm driving...that doesn't bother me so much.
Tom Veatch wrote:

Because if it is truly an emergency there may not be a safe stop and stopping at the time the emergency is in progress may be the most unsafe action you can possibly take, maybe???
It's a two-edged sword--the casual usage is bad, but there are valid reasons for not disabling the facility entirely.
dpb wrote:

OK, fine, don't jam 911.
--John
<snip>

Actually the multiple calls in to the 911 switchboard do "jam" it with repeated reports of traffic accidents where none of the passerbys stop to see if there are injuries, medical emergencies, entrapment, or other serious conditions that you just can't tell by cruising by at 65 mph. So, yes, cell phones can be a lifesaver but also can be an impediment to efficient dispatch of emergency services.
Jerry

A Lurker wrote:

But the jamming of all 911 isn't an ideal solution, either...
As said, it's a mixed blessing as is virtually any technology.
dpb wrote:

The ideal solution is for God to alter the human race so that nobody natters on a cell phone while driving unless they have a bonafide emergency to report. But that's not gonna happen so we do the best we can with what we've got.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

That's where The Darwin Awards kick in.

Then there's the folks who have no idea where on the road they actually are and don't realize that had they stopped at the scene we'd have a valid location. Not a lot of good when they're five miles down the road and clueless on landmarks. Snowmobilers were another pet peeve. We'd pull the sled in five-six miles before we found the accident, when we could have accessed it from a half mile if they'd had some idea where the were.
Not that dispatchers are blameless. I've had mine delay sending us because they weren't sure we were the responsible agency or the closest to the call. Turf!
It's a lot better than it was in the analog days where you just got a tower as a position on your console. Drove up and down a lot of empty highway because for some reason the tower farther away captured the call.
Bluetooth is a good idea. I use it rather than the radio to talk to the hospital, because I can keep both hands on the wheel.
*trim*

Actually, keeping only 911 open could be a bad thing too. Let's say your passenger has a special medical condition and starts acting up. If you call 911, you might get someone who's only able to operate the switchboard and read first reponse cards. However, if you call their doctor (yes, special cases are indeed special) you can get instructions on what to do.
Before you respond with how unlikely it is, remember that 1 in 1,000,000 means that it should happen once. Godwin's law is a Usenet specific example of this.
Puckdropper

Tom Veatch wrote:

Well, since we are engaging in hypotheticals, I suspect that one would be in much greater danger pulling to the side of the road and making an emergency call if the subject of that call were the fact that one was being followed down a dark road by a suspicious vehicle. Would think that it might be best to keep moving while making that phone call.

Another example of the usefulness of making 911 calls while moving -- not merely hypothetical, but drawn from my own multiple experiences -- is calling the State Police to report a dangerous driver (usually an apparent drunk, but most recently a bozo driving 75mph on the interstate at 9pm with no lights), and being able to give the dispatcher continuous updates on the vehicle's location until they're able to get a patrol car out there to pull him over.
--
Regards,

That was YOU behind me..??? ;-)
Mike O.