OT: Peppers

Page 1 of 2
The hottest peppers grown
http://tinyurl.com/6epk5hr
even hotter than the Merciless Peppers of Quetzalacatenango ... grown deep in the jungle primeval by the inmates of a Guatemalan insane asylum.
Thanks for the information - and I thought the bhut jolokia was the hottest at just over 1,000,000 Scoville units.
Interesting to note the people in the article are bare handed - with peppers these hot, would definitely not want to touch around the eyes, nose, or mouth after handling.
Regards,
Doug

The best place to get chili pepper plants, seeds and cultural information is an arm of New Mexico State University:
www.chilepeperinstitute.org/main_product_categores.php
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

Bad link.
-Zz

Good link:
http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/main_product_categores.php
-Zz

Zz:
Thanks for the correction. My "copy" function, for unknown reason, wouldn't work on that page, so I made a typed copy. The odd thing is if there is any difference with what I rendered with what you gave as a good link, my eyes haven't found a visual diffeence. Quien sabe.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
In article

Two central p's in pepper.
--
Ray Scanlon

RS:
Aha. Thanks. Long day.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/ is the main in.
Martin- I previously - line or two above - posted a selling company.
On 4/12/2011 8:12 PM, Zz Yzx wrote:

I like this place -
http://www.tomatogrowers.com/index.html
http://www.tomatogrowers.com/cgi-bin/LQitem.pl?9240A Caribbean Red #9240A runs 445,000
There are peppers of all heats - and lots of tomatoes as well.
Martin
On 4/12/2011 1:00 AM, Edward Hennessey wrote:

That was my first thought at seeing those pics. Stay out of the restroom, too, until those hands were sanitized. I had the misstep of dicing jalapeños and then using the restroom once. That cured me in a hurry. Wiping your hands in't enough. You must wash them with soap at least twice, making sure to scrub with a brush under the fingernails.
-- If you're looking for the key to the Universe, I've got some good news and some bad news.
The bad news: There is no key to the Universe.
The good news: It was never locked. --Swami Beyondananda

Nor certain parts of the anatomy while urinating. And don't think you can wash off the hot with just a soap and water exercise.
Max (jalapeo lover)
"Doug" wrote in message
Thanks for the information - and I thought the bhut jolokia was the hottest at just over 1,000,000 Scoville units.
Interesting to note the people in the article are bare handed - with peppers these hot, would definitely not want to touch around the eyes, nose, or mouth after handling. *****************************
Nor would you want to handle your unit, while going to the bathroom. Or put your unit in your significant other's delicate places.
-- Jim in NC

Two things to mention.
The Chile Pepper Institute is the usual barometer for testing in this specialty. It would be worthwhile to see if their results correlated with the Australian findings.
Second, watch out for the stem succulents of the genus Eurphorbia. There is significant variation in the group but certain species exude a milky latex when cut that serves the plants well as a defense mechanism. Folk in parts of Africa are said to use minute amounts as a season in certain preparations but the exposure here would be in breaking or cutting landscape or ornamental specimens. Cultures in Africa also use bruised specimens of the plants to effect a mass kill of pond inhabitants which can later be cooked and safely eaten.
Euphorbia juice can lead to all of the negative effects mentioned with peppers with the addition of causing damage to eye tissue. On the skin, Naphta works wellas a solvent. But get the wrong stripe of the stuff in a peeper and its off to the doctor for lavage and eyedrops (evidently similar to cocaine) to allay the head-turning pain.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
message wrote:

This is a shameless plug for a movie about a Coke bottle lost somewhere in South African Bushman country: "The Gods Must Be Crazy".
It is beyond imagining that anyone would not find this movie engaging, entertaining and enlightening. And that's just the e's. There is a scene therein where some bad guys are under what looks to be a Euphorbia ingens tree. Our outgunned good guys-- including a Bushman with the best smile I'll ever see--shoot the tree, raining sap on the attackers who proceed to rain screams at the sky. Tree 100, ambush plan 0.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 20:50:55 -0700, "Edward Hennessey"

That was one of the best, funniest movies I've ever seen.
Don't be dissin' the badgers, boys!
-- The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world. -- Ayn Rand

OZ can produce lots of things betterer than everyone else

Fosters isn't one of them <G>
My favourite peppers are the juicy, bulbous, fat, succulent green peppers. I eat those like apples.
You guys do grow some spectacular women, I must say. Wines are pretty nice too. Cheese.... not so much. Snakes...NOW you're talking quality! :-)

An apple a day, keeps the doctor away a pepper a day keeps everyone away

Women I must agree with you Wines are for drunkards and people who want to think they are betterer than everyone else Cheeses are mostly made in New Zealand, they used to be good, but you can't seem to get a really sharp cheese now

The deadliest snake lives here ask all the young unmarried mothers they will tell you it is the trouser snake

They do tend to be a bit crazy so they are best bedded after pissing them off first.

George, George, you down-to-earth cobber, you... that is simply not true. Your average plunk is indeed simply a method to get blottoed to the point of Technicolour Yawn BUT.. a fine wine is something totally different. I also have a problem with wine snobs. I can't stand the breed. I DO, however, enjoy a glass of wine with dinner and I do know the difference between a Chateau Chunder, a fine Australian fighting wine, and an Italian Chianti which was foot-pressed by a young Italian virgin, the latter in itself a rather rare commodity.

I couldn't find a piece of cheese that was decent between Geelong and Melbourne.

Plenty of them around here too.