OT PBS

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 14:54:40 -0600, Frank Boettcher

Well as I mentioned I don't watch a lot of PBS, but since they do show Norm once a year, I have noticed that Delta Woodworking Tools has a significant adverstisement before and after the show. Most of the time when I cruise by the PBS station while irritating my wife by channel surfing, they are either begging for donations or an advertisement is on. I admit that I am usually cruising by at the top, middle and bottom of the hour (top and bottom are essentially the same aren't they?) and they always have advertising between shows. Non-commercial my ass...

That's actually an underwriters segment, limited (or at least it has been in the past) in length, content, and when it can be shown. Look at it carefully, it essentially identifies the company and what their main line of business is without hawking any specific product. Not just Delta, all underwriters.
Or it least that is the way it was.
Frank

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 15:58:33 -0600, Frank Boettcher

I guess I don't see any difference between generic Delta advertising on commercial stations and generic Delta advertising on PBS. I admit I have never seen an ad on PBS saying "buy a Delta Unisaw model xyz because we cut wood better than Grizzly" or any other ad for a very specific product or hawking a specific sale (i.e. "50% off Delta blurfls Thursday through Saturday at the Ross park mall store only"), but general name recognition ads similar to many national commercial TV ads.
On the other hand I don't see much of the "brought to you by gracious donations from the following..." type of underwriters listings like used to be prevalent on PBS (in my years ago experience watching Mr. Rodgers and Sesame Street with the kids). Those seemed more like what I could call non-commercial.
Oh well.
Dave Hall

"Dave Hall" wrote in message

Even the public schools around here have company signs on them ... if you don't believe it, I'll snap a picture of our local elementary and post it in abpw.
Judging from the signs, and their size, you would also think that school property "ballparks", paid for by, and belonging to the taxpayers, but used by Little League, actually belonged to Real Estate and Insurance brokers.
Real altruistic motives ... yeah!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06
John wrote:
> How many times a year do they have the annual begathon?
Programs are just a provide a segway<s/p> between begging.
Lew
<<Programs are just a provide a segway<s/p> between begging.>>
FYI, it's spelled segue.
Lee

_________________________________

Unless, of course, they are providing an odd, two-wheeled electric cart to people between begathons.

John wrote:

I stopped watching PBS (and television in general) many years ago, but I always found it ironic that the majority of hosts - and hostesses- during their fundraising sessions wore tuxedos and evening gows, respectively. I would have been more inclined to donate my money if they looked poorer than me. Marc (who does give to charities)
On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 19:26:59 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (John) wrote:

Which annual one? The Spring one? Or the Summer, Autumn, or Winter one?
weekly it seems
len
Tonight I did something I swore I would never do. No, not make a pledge to a Public TV beg-a-thon. Worse. I manned the phones for a Public TV beg-a-thon.
One of my friends is a music promoter who is presenting a Chris Botti concert here in Hartord in April. He asked for volunteers to field pledge calls during the airing of Chris's special and the attendant grovelling (not to mention free plugging of the upcoming concert). Considering how many concerts my friend has allowed me to attend gratis, I couldn't very well turn him down. And, as a bonus, Chris was in studio with us.
I have to say, working the beg-a-thon is a hell of a lot more enjoyable than watching it.
And, admit it, if it was Norm who was in studio, you'd probably volunteer, too. I know I would.
Lee

_________________________________
John wrote:

On commercial TV you pay to view 5 or 6 times an hour by watching the endless commercials, then often pay again for cable service (remember when they told you you were paying for programming free of commercials?)
As for the quality of content - PBS wins hands down with the exception of CSPAN - which is a push. Or would you prefer O'Riely (sp?) or Jerry Springer?
charlie b
[snip]. Or

Is this the taste of blood in my mouth? Yes it is... I am biting my tongue THAT hard! Now I am biting my fingers... I must leave keyboard...

They do? Outside of one or two shows (woodworking related, of course), I find pretty much everything on PBS to be utter crap.

Whether their actual "commercial breaks" are shorter or otherwise they still appear to to do the same 22 minutes or so of actual programming per each 30 minutes of air time that all of the commercial channels do anyway...they just plug PBS ad nauseum inbetween the scant commercial plugs......Incidently whats wrong with O'Reilly<G>?

As often as young lovers celebrate their one month anniversary, three-month anniversary....
On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 19:26:59 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (John) wrote:

It would be nice if it was only once a year but it seems like once a month. That're pretty much why I stopped watching PBS years back, I got sick of all the whining.