OT PBS

Page 1 of 2
How many times a year do they have the annual begathon?
I think it was snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (John) who stated:

Hmmmm . . . an *annual* begathon.
I'm guessing here, but . . .
. . . ONCE per year?
Do I win a prize for a correct answer?
--
"Ladies and gentlemen take my advice.
Pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

I think you missed the joke.
todd

There was a joke?
Where??
C'mon, you can tell me . . . .
who stated:

This is one of those times when if I have to explain it, it won't be funny any more.
todd

You don't watch PBS, do you?
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
John wrote:

Only once, but it lasts 8 months.     whine, bitch, grumble,     jo4hn

Man I need to get your PBS channel. You mean you actually have 4 months out of the year that they aren't doing the beg-a-thon? Man, you are really lucky. Here they cancel any wood related shows and show local cooking shows all day during the apparently 11.75 months that they have the beg-a-thon.
No, I don't watch much PBS and only donate grudgingly though my federal taxes - and I suppose when I buy stuff from the many advertsiers on this "non-commercial" public broadcasting system.
Dave Hall
- and I suppose when I buy stuff from the many

???. Who is advertising on your PBS channel?

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

Houston's, one of the first in existence, if not _the_ first TV station in the nation, has commercials from most car companies, banks, etc ... at the very beginning, and end, of programming.
These are blatant _commercials_, some going up to 30 seconds, but most in the 15 second range, and run one after another for up to five minutes.
There is no way I would contribute again even if they stopped the commercials, and particularly after seeing the Taj Mahal they built themselves, which is why I suspect they continue to have to rely upon them.
I stopped contributing many years ago when a $20 check was returned for not meeting the "minimum contribution" amount.
That, and I trained one of their audio engineers as an apprentice many years ago, who is now a key player, so I occasionally get to hear some of the dirty laundry.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

That's too bad, it has not deteriorated that much in Mississippi and I hope it does not. I like a lot of the programming.
Underwriters are common, but they had specific rules about the length of the spot, only identification of the company and what their primary business is, not hawking any specific product, etc. I thought that the limit used to be about ten seconds for the underwriter identification.
I know Delta was/is an underwriter on several programming segments and the spots were set up to carefully observe the rules. I don't mind seeing who underwrites if it doesn't drag on forever.
And people like Norm can use the products on the air, but not mention them by brand name. In my book, nothing wrong with that. better than an ad making claims that may or may not be true.
BTW boiled down that smoked turkey carcass to make gumbo stock, but chickened out on the microwave roux method. Old habits are hard to break.
Frank
"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

My oldest daughter was visiting from England until yesterday, so Monday, at her command and as promised, I made shrimp etoufee and a small pot (six quarts) of chicken, sausage, okra, seafood (crab/shrimp/oyster) gumbo for a family farewell get-together ... much to youngest daughter's chagrin, still being at college for a couple more weeks, so I froze about a quart for the night of her return.
You know you raised 'em right when, no matter where they are in the world, the first thing out of their mouth's is "Dad, are you going to make gumbo?" ... and, if they can help it, the first thing in when they get home.
At Christmas I'll break out the big gumbo pot and make another 30 gallons ... all with my, now perfected, microwave roux technique. ;)
You really need to try it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

We await your recipe for gumbo, stirred with a wooden spoon, of course! Love good gumbo!
Wait a minute....you ain't shared no coonass receipe for etoufee that I recall... did you ???
I got the gumbo and done tried that back a year or two back...tasty...
Swingman wrote:

"Pat Barber" wrote in message

Here's an easy one that will puzzle Frank B even further, and make you an instant hit with SWMBO, family and friends ... just tell them you slaved over it all day! ;)
NOTE: The first time folks attempt the below they can't believe it will work so they can't resist adding/messing with the recipe, or quit too soon, or use Mild Pace Picante sauce (it won't work, use HOT only!).
RESIST doing so!... follow it EXACTLY and you will be surprised, I guarantee! And like all good Cajun dishes, it will be even better the next day.
EZ Etoufee ... from an old post back in 2002:

Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup (NO water); a stick of butter or margarine; bring all to a low boil; (RESIST temptation to add anything else!) add 2 lbs. of crawfish or shrimp and cook about five minutes until crawfish/shrimp is done. Serve over rice.
Takes all of 15 minutes. Best "bachelor" etoufee you ever ate ... you'd swear your Cajun momma made it. <<
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

I'd have to take out a home equity loan just for enough crab meat to make 30 gallons of gumbo.
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

: Underwriters are common, but they had specific rules about the length : of the spot, only identification of the company and what their primary : business is, not hawking any specific product, etc. I thought that : the limit used to be about ten seconds for the underwriter : identification.
I think it's now 15 seconds, subject to the content constraints you mention above. The picture is complicated by the fact that local stations can air 30 second spots on local PBS channel programming -- the really shot spot limits are for network, i.e. official PBS product, shows.
    -- Andy Barss
Somebody wrote:
> ???. Who is advertising on your PBS channel?
You are either blind and deaf or your basic Shit Disturber.
Lew
Frank Boettcher wrote:

PBS has been running 15-30 spots for the last two years. See:
http://www.commercialalert.org/news/archive/2006/10/advertisers-get-warmer-reception-from-pbs
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA