OT OT TurboTax

Page 1 of 2
Last year there was quite the fluff over TT2014 dropping schedule C from all but the Home and Business versions.
That has changed to the way it used to be. Sorta. I use to use the Basic and get Schedule C. apparently Basic is no longer available except for free and Free does not include Schedule C, I THINK.
Anyway Deluxe 2015 apparently once again has all the forms we used to get in prior to last year.
http://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/uncategorized/turbotax-restores-popular-forms-to-desktop-software-2-20330/
Deluxe 2015 At amazon for $30.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)51340263&sr=8-2&keywords=turbotax+deluxe+2015
Add pictures here
✖

I gave up on Turbo some years ago when they did some really stupid things. I've been using what's now called H&R Block Tax for several years. Best deal so far is this link at newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?sdtid „05351&SID5197b16adea11e5a926da716ee9e25f0INT&AID440897&PID25267&nm_mc¯C-C8Junction&cm_mmc¯C-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16832732058&cm_sp and this code for HALF PRICE: EMCKNNW23
The Deluxe + State download version with free Federal E-file is $22.50 after the discount.
Add pictures here
✖

It's what I know.
Add pictures here
✖

Worth a few bucks just to not have to enter the basic information every year, just log in and go.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/29/2015 5:21 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yeah! and I really do not enjoy learning a new program for the sake of doing so.
Add pictures here
✖
In case anyone is interested, Amazon has H&RB's tax software product ("Deluxe", w/added 10% bonus), for $21.95. The only caveat is you need to bump the order to $35 to get free shipping. For some reason, the downloaded version is not currently available. I don't mind the CD.
Bill
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/28/2015 11:19 PM, Leon wrote:

Ditto ... as much as I despise Intuit's business model, I've had good luck so far with TurboTax the past twenty years. Buy their audit insurance each year, had to use it once a few years back, One of their lawyers represented me for a total of less than $50 for the entire process.
That alone paid for about 20 years of product.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 12/29/2015 9:33 AM, Swingman wrote:

Precisely, leave the emotions out of the decision making and TT is still a good product.
And despite the fact that $50 is $50 ;~), it is a no brainier to guard against future headaches. It is just something that I don't want to have to worry about should I get audited.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@wizardanswers.com wrote:

It's "interesting" that they Require an email address to get the discount (basically saving $7.50), and they disclose that they "will" add you to their email list if you make a purchase. I was going to order (just now), but I decided it wasn't worth $7.50 to be spammed all year (by who knows who...). By the way, this version does not include the "10% bonus" (on increments of $100 from your federal tax return) which you can find from other sellers of the product. I found Intuit's conduct so poor last year however, that I switched to H&RB's product, and I intend to use it again this year. It won't cost me more than $29.99 though because they sent me a coupon for that price in the mail. It's also currently $29.99 at Amazon.com, at least it has been recently, and that version includes the 10% bonus.
Bill
Add pictures here
✖

I have a special e-mail address just for things like that. I have it set up to forward to my main e-mail where it gets sorted into a folder for deletion later.
Apparently Yahoo! mail lets you set up "disposable" addresses, but you have to set a base name and then the digits are disposable. You only get one chance per account to set the base name, they don't tell you that.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Add pictures here
✖
Don't understand this worry about spam. I use Gmail (6 years) and every bit of spam goes into my "promotional" folder. Maybe one in a thousand sneaks into my "primary" folder. I ignore the promo folder except when I need to look at a Harbor Freight ad.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/29/2015 10:28 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

I use both yahoo and gmail and, compared to ten years ago when it was nothing to see 200 spams a day when running my own mail server, I get virtually no spam.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
✖
On 12/28/2015 11:30 PM, Bill wrote:

More than likely H&R gives the discount only if you provide your e-mail address so that "they" can contact you about future purchases. They probably would not let anyone else have your information if they say that they would not share or sell it. Most likely you could opt out from their e-mails in the future.
Add pictures here
✖
Leon wrote:

Newegg is the seller, and I am already on their list. But I "got the gut feeling" that an email address entered in the indicated box was going to be sold in a mass-marketing way, by whom I don't know, to recover the $7.50. I could be wrong, but the fact that the email address was a non-negotiable part of the deal made me back away. IMO, they don't require my email address to sell me tax software. The amount of Spam you get for $7.50 is probably a lot!
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/30/2015 8:05 PM, Bill wrote:

I have used products from Intuit, H&R BLock, and Newegg. They all had my email address, all have sent ads, all stopped immediately when I scrolled to the bottom of the email and hit "unsubscribe". No reason to think any of them sold my email address.
Add pictures here
✖
Larry Kraus wrote:

their marketers (who sell more than just tax software). Look at Facebook, there is a market for your privacy.
Add pictures here
✖

I gave up on Turbotax when they did that 2003 bad-idea copy protection thing. I used Taxcut (now H&R) for several years, but last year switched to Taxact, since Taxact had added support for filing 1041s for trusts.[*]
Turbotax can only do that at the $150 "Business" edition level. I don't think H&R's software does 1041s at all. I don't remember exactly what it cost with Taxact, but it was around $75, as two or three payments and downloads. Taxact does not have the same novice friendly interface, but it worked very well and I found the customer support phone line helpful.
I contintue to dislike Intuit since they spend so much money lobbying against simplifying tax filings. And in addition to direct lobbying they hire shills to write bogus op-ed pieces to raise opposition to things like free online filing.
Elijah ------ [*] a grandparent left a college fund trust to the kids
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/29/2015 1:23 PM, Eli the Bearded wrote:

You might be surprised to see the list of who all actually lobbies against simplifying tax filings. I strongly suspect that Intuit is not the only one. Hell The IRS does not want to simplify it as it would put them out of business. The federal government could simply do as Texas and a few other states do and collect their taxes on sales and not income. That would be very simple. IMHO the government should be funded based on performance not as a right to entitlement.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@wizardanswers.com wrote in

I do mine in Excel using this spreadsheet:
http://www.excel1040.com/
I compared the results with TurboTax once years ago, and they came out the same, and doing it in Excel was quicker...
John
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/29/2015 2:10 PM, John McCoy wrote:

Does Excel submit your filings or fill out your forms?
And I see from the link that this is mostly a double check to the forms that you have to fill out anyway.
From their web site,
As always, carefully check all spreadsheet results against the results you obtained after using the actual IRS forms and instructions.
FWIW TurboTax does the double checking automatically and with out having to run a separate program for verification.
Using Excel sounds like double work to me... but that is just me. ;~)
Add pictures here
✖