OT: or not; Favorite Misspellings

Page 3 of 3
On 1/16/12 8:33 PM, Doug Winterburn wrote:

Many of those answers were wrong simply because they weren't capitalized. I can't give much respect to a website called "better-english" when they have such blatant errors in their own tests.
--

-MIKE-

**YOU** were the one inserting the answer into the sentence! If you didn't apply the capital, where appropriate, don't blame anybody else.
---------- "-MIKE-" wrote in message

Many of those answers were wrong simply because they weren't capitalized. I can't give much respect to a website called "better-english" when they have such blatant errors in their own tests.
On 1/16/12 9:41 PM, m II wrote:

It was multiple choice, dipshit.
--

-MIKE-

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 19:33:52 -0700, Doug Winterburn

And if they don't like it, they can eat a newkyaler bomb.
Its/it's
less/fewer (Bloody NOBOODY uses fewer nowadays, damnit.)
There's many (Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!)
In today's world, the list is illiterately endless.
-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington

I'm amused when I run the model name of a shotgun through the spell checker in Word or other MS business apps... Browning Citori. ;~)
John
You can add "Buss", a company name, to that list. An electrical or transportation vehicle **BUS** only has a single "S".
--------------- "Jim Weisgram" wrote in message
This is tilting at windmills I know, but maybe someone out there will be helped by knowing which are the most common woodworking misspellings here on rec.woodworking and elsewhere. Feel free to chime in with your favorites as well.
Loose means a thing that is not tight. Lose is misplacing something.
Joiner is someone who joins (wood, clubs, whatever) Jointer is that tool that flattens a face and an edge of a board
Planner is one of those books with a yearly calendar, or a person who plans. Planer is a tool to make 2 faces of a board parallel.
Ah, I feel better now haveing gotten that off my cheast (sic).

Historical fact: the electricaal item -- a heavy-duty conductor with multiple secondary items attached to it was traditionally spelled with 2 esses. That usage _is_ where the company derives it's name from.
"Modern' usage has corrupted the spelling to using only a single 's'.
On 1/30/2012 3:26 AM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

Blame the less that "kind'a good" spell checker.
Take electrical and electricaal for instance. ;~)
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 03:26:56 -0600, Robert Bonomi wrote:

And when computers first came out the double ss applied to them as well. In fact, "bus" still looks funny to me.

Jim Weisgram wrote:

flourescent lights
F Murtz wrote the following:

They're the ones with flour in them that produces the white color.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 1/16/2012 2:43 PM, Jim Weisgram wrote:

Having, not haveing.
--
Steve Barker
Get your speller checked!
----------------- "Steve Barker" wrote in message
Having, not haveing.

from the anti-faq: BTW the correct spelling accepted in rec.woodworking for some words are: joiner, planner, scrapper, rabbit, tennon (tendon is definitely wrong), hobbiest, course (not fine), bisket, popular (Liriodendron tulipifera), cyprus (Taxodium distichum), tounge & grove (tongue is a finishing oil), radio alarm saw (tmLJ).
Luigi
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:54:53 -0800 (PST), Luigi Zanasi

<giggle>
-- The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. -- Glenn Doman

Speaking of "radio alarm saws", how would one fit a saw-stop mechanism to -that-?
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote in

Probably the same way as the SawStop. The blade wouldn't disappear into the table, but jamming a piece of metal into the blade would work fine. With all the stress from the action, however, means the arm would have to have either some way of absorbing the stress or be strong enough to not move.
(Would this count as prior art to invalidate such a patent? *grin*)
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 1/17/2012 12:29 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I thought tung was a finishing oil and tongue was something that sticks out.