OT: or not; Favorite Misspellings

Advice is something you give or get. Advise is something you do.

Anal could also be someone that is overly concerned with someone's over concern about other people's misspellings. Just saying...

Reply to
Mike

Having, not haveing.

Reply to
Steve Barker

However moot, pounding with a hammer is never mute, suh.

-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And yet if I was communicating to you the results of a mathematical equation my answer would either be CORRECT or INCORRECT. If the answer was coming back to you in the form of a monetary payment, I daresay you'd be a tad more concerned about how "anal" I'd been during the computations, wouldn't you? It's always bugged me how we seem to be getting less and less concerned for the correctness of our communications as time goes by. It hasn't always been this way. It amazes me when I read the writings of the average lowly farm boy from the eighteen-hundreds, with nothing more than a typical rural schoolhouse education, and how well they wrote back then compared to the average college graduate of today. Sad, really.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Yes, part of that is related to the high cost of reproducing diagrams. Thus the careful descriptions.

I see that many modern wood "carving" books are little more than books of photographs. It must be cheap to create them and perhaps they are marketable for a very broad audience. I'd prefer the "thousand words" TYVM!

Reply to
Bill

You are, of course, correct. However, language is much more fluid than a math equation. That leads to a lot of oratory that has no purpose other than to prevent one from understanding the speakers position. Well, I suppose statistical analysis is pretty fluid as well, but that is another story.

It's always bugged me how we seem to be

Sad ,indeed. You should have seen some of the job applications I reviewed. I lost count of how many went in the trash because they were so poorly written they didn't make sense. All were written by college graduates.

Reply to
Mike

Even if the answer is calculated correctly it may not be communicated well. ;~)

John Grossbohlin

I don't mind so much when the average person can't spell, although it is a minor irritant. What really bothers me is books, magazines, and newspapers with rampant spelling mistakes. Those people are supposed to know better.

That would be the late eighteen hundreds, wouldn't it? If you go back to the writings of our founding fathers and others of that era, you'll find a total disregard of correct spelling.

As with most things, it goes in cycles :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

And they were English subjects until independence.

Reply to
willshak

from the anti-faq: BTW the correct spelling accepted in rec.woodworking for some words are: joiner, planner, scrapper, rabbit, tennon (tendon is definitely wrong), hobbiest, course (not fine), bisket, popular (Liriodendron tulipifera), cyprus (Taxodium distichum), tounge & grove (tongue is a finishing oil), radio alarm saw (tmLJ).

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

-- The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. -- Glenn Doman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Define hardly.

I hate it when you hardly hit some one and they cry.

He hit the ball hardly with the bat.

Leon

Bad grammer!

BTW: How is gramper?

Happens alot so it is a mute point.

Reply to
m II

Spelling was not considered important then.

Even family name spellings were phonetic based.

No cycles. It was never important until then.

As with most things, it goes in cycles :-).

Reply to
m II

The whole spelling thing is ridiculous anyway. I know it's been posted here before but this seems like a good occasion to repost Mark Twain's take on the subject. Note there is some controversy over whether Twain/Clemens was actually the author.

A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling by Mark Twain

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet.

The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.

Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

Reply to
Larry W

And another commentary on spelling:

I have a spell checker

It came with my PC It plane lee marks four my revue Miss steaks aye can knot see

Eye ran this poem threw it Your sure real glad two no Its very polished in its own weigh My chequer tolled me sew

A cheek or is a blessing It freeze yew lodes of thyme It helps me right awl stiles two reed And aides me when aye rime

Now spilling does not phase me It does knot bring a tier My pay purrs awl due glad den With wrapped words fare as hear

To rite with care is quite a feet Of witch won should be proud And wee mussed dew the best wee can Sew flaws are knot aloud

So ewe can sea why aye dew prays Such soft wear four pea seas And why eye brake in two averse Buy righting want to please

-Author Unknown

Reply to
Larry W

OK That is enough of spelling!

What about them them Saw-stops?

------------

The whole spelling thing is ridiculous anyway. I know it's been posted here before but this seems like a good occasion to repost Mark Twain's take on the subject. Note there is some controversy over whether Twain/Clemens was actually the author.

Reply to
m II

Get your speller checked!

When you cut in two even pieces it is "halving"

Reply to
m II

I second that. It seems the current job-seeking generation can not distinguish between "then" and "than", allthough that may be a spell-check issue. In which case they don't proof read.

What amazes me more is the number of occurrences of errors on news websites. The San Francisco Chronicle was noteworthy for the number in the hardcopy issue back in the 1980's, but the numbers of ommitted words, doubled words, and other errors. Today, it's hard to read one article online without 2-3 errors.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 18:43:24 -0800, Zz Yzx

I've noticed that too. I'm guessing it's the result of the rush to get the news online and the cost cutting that is going on everywhere.

In fact when I was looking for work at one point, I offered my technical writing and proofreading services to one local news website. Never got a response. I figured they didn't like my criticism of their proofreading department.

Reply to
Dave