OT: or not; Favorite Misspellings

Page 1 of 3
This is tilting at windmills I know, but maybe someone out there will be helped by knowing which are the most common woodworking misspellings here on rec.woodworking and elsewhere. Feel free to chime in with your favorites as well.
Loose means a thing that is not tight. Lose is misplacing something.
Joiner is someone who joins (wood, clubs, whatever) Jointer is that tool that flattens a face and an edge of a board
Planner is one of those books with a yearly calendar, or a person who plans. Planer is a tool to make 2 faces of a board parallel.
Ah, I feel better now haveing gotten that off my cheast (sic).
On 1/16/2012 1:43 PM, Jim Weisgram wrote:

Angle is a shape formed by two lines diverging from a common point. Anvil is a heavy block of iron on which metals are shaped by hammering. A nail is a slender pointed metal fastener designed to be pounded in. Anal is someone overly concerned about other people's misspellings.

Well said
LMAO ww
We previously had this discussion here and you lost last time, too.
---------------- "WW" wrote in message

Well said
LMAO ww

Happens alot so it is a mute point.

However moot, pounding with a hammer is never mute, suh.
-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington
On 1/17/2012 9:02 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Define hardly.
I hate it when you hardly hit some one and they cry.
He hit the ball hardly with the bat.
http://www.kirkmahoney.com/blog/2008/10/he-hit-the-ball-hardly-vs-he-hardly-hit-the-ball /

Q. Why do little ducks walk softly? A. Because they can't walk, hardly!
Bad grammer!
BTW: How is gramper?
------- "Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Happens alot so it is a mute point.
On 1/16/2012 3:57 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

Advice is something you give or get. Advise is something you do.
Anal could also be someone that is overly concerned with someone's over concern about other people's misspellings. Just saying...
On 1/17/2012 8:51 AM, Mike wrote:

And yet if I was communicating to you the results of a mathematical equation my answer would either be CORRECT or INCORRECT. If the answer was coming back to you in the form of a monetary payment, I daresay you'd be a tad more concerned about how "anal" I'd been during the computations, wouldn't you? It's always bugged me how we seem to be getting less and less concerned for the correctness of our communications as time goes by. It hasn't always been this way. It amazes me when I read the writings of the average lowly farm boy from the eighteen-hundreds, with nothing more than a typical rural schoolhouse education, and how well they wrote back then compared to the average college graduate of today. Sad, really.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On 1/17/2012 10:36 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

Yes, part of that is related to the high cost of reproducing diagrams. Thus the careful descriptions.
I see that many modern wood "carving" books are little more than books of photographs. It must be cheap to create them and perhaps they are marketable for a very broad audience. I'd prefer the "thousand words" TYVM!

On 1/17/2012 10:36 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

You are, of course, correct. However, language is much more fluid than a math equation. That leads to a lot of oratory that has no purpose other than to prevent one from understanding the speakers position. Well, I suppose statistical analysis is pretty fluid as well, but that is another story.
It's always bugged me how we seem to be

Sad ,indeed. You should have seen some of the job applications I reviewed. I lost count of how many went in the trash because they were so poorly written they didn't make sense. All were written by college graduates.

I second that. It seems the current job-seeking generation can not distinguish between "then" and "than", allthough that may be a spell-check issue. In which case they don't proof read.
What amazes me more is the number of occurrences of errors on news websites. The San Francisco Chronicle was noteworthy for the number in the hardcopy issue back in the 1980's, but the numbers of ommitted words, doubled words, and other errors. Today, it's hard to read one article online without 2-3 errors.
-Zz

I've noticed that too. I'm guessing it's the result of the rush to get the news online and the cost cutting that is going on everywhere.
In fact when I was looking for work at one point, I offered my technical writing and proofreading services to one local news website. Never got a response. I figured they didn't like my criticism of their proofreading department.
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 22:11:30 -0500, Dave wrote:

Did they, in fact, *have* a proofreading department. Most don't. They have computer programs that check spelling and sometimes grammar, but no proofreaders. Sadly, it's an obsolete profession.

Created by the named author based on actual GRADUATE SCHOOL admmission essays:
I have a spelling checker It came with my pea sea It plane lee marks four my revue Miss steaks aye can knot sea. Eye ran this poem threw it, Your sure reel glad two no. Its vary polished in it's weigh My checker tolled me sew. A checker is a bless sing, It freeze yew lodes of thyme. It helps me right awl stiles two reed, And aides me when aye rime. Each frays come posed up on my screen Eye trussed too bee a joule The checker pour o'er every word To cheque sum spelling rule. Be fore a veiling checkers Hour spelling mite decline, And if were lacks or have a laps, We wood be maid to wine. Butt now bee cause my spelling Is checked with such grate flare, Their are know faults with in my cite, Of non eye am a wear. Now spelling does knot phase me, It does knot bring a tier. My pay purrs awl due glad den With wrapped words fare as hear. To rite with care is quite a feet Of witch won should be proud. And wee mussed dew the best wee can, Sew flaws are knot aloud. Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays Such soft ware four pea seas. And why I brake in two averse By righting want too pleas. -- Jerry Zar, Dean of the Graduate School Northwestern Illinois University

Even if the answer is calculated correctly it may not be communicated well. ;~)
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid 779207
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:36:52 -0600, Steve Turner wrote:

I don't mind so much when the average person can't spell, although it is a minor irritant. What really bothers me is books, magazines, and newspapers with rampant spelling mistakes. Those people are supposed to know better.

That would be the late eighteen hundreds, wouldn't it? If you go back to the writings of our founding fathers and others of that era, you'll find a total disregard of correct spelling.
As with most things, it goes in cycles :-).

Larry Blanchard wrote the following:

And they were English subjects until independence.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY