OT- One Smart Guy ;)

President Bush Sells Louisiana Back to the French

President Bush and a giddy Jacques Chirac shake hands on the deal.

BATON ROUGE, LA. - The White House announced today that President Bush has successfully sold the state of Louisiana back to the French at more than double its original selling price of $11,250,000.

"This is a bold step forward for America," said Bush. "And America will be stronger and better as a result. I stand here today in unity with French Prime Minister Jack Sharaq, who was so kind to accept my offer of Louisiana in exchange for 25 million dollars cash."

The state, ravaged by Hurricane Katrina, will cost hundreds of billions of dollars to rebuild.

"Jack understands full well that this one's a 'fixer upper,'" said Bush. "He and the French people are quite prepared to pump out all that water, and make Louisiana a decent place to live again. And they've got a lot of work to do. But Jack's assured me, if it's not right, they're going to fix it."

The move has been met with incredulity from the beleaguered residents of Louisiana.

However, President Bush's decision has been widely lauded by Republicans.

"This is an unexpected but brilliant move by the President," said Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist. "Instead of spending billions and billions, and billions of dollars rebuilding the state of Louisiana, we've just made 25 million dollars in pure profit."

"This is indeed a smart move," commented Fox News analyst Brit Hume. "Not only have we stopped the flooding in our own budget, we've made money on the deal. Plus, when the god-awful French are done fixing it up, we can easily invade and take it back again."

The money gained from ''The Louisiana Refund' is expected to be immediately pumped into the rebuilding of Iraq.

Reply to
JGS

You know... I am pretty sick and tired of seeing political crap on this NG. I am not sure who your are bashing here... your govt, US govt, or you picture some kind of wild eyed anarchist that hates all government that is striking a blow for everyone.

Yes, you posted the required the required OT before starting, but this is a woodworking NG, with a woodworking format.

So before you vomit your political spewage onto these pages, take a minute and look at your own content. I live in the Gulf Coast region and I for one don't think there is any humor to be made of the pain and suffering some of these people have/are going through.

You show your total lack of compassion, and just how thoughtless and selfish you are by using our national tragedy to be cutesy and sarcastic. You should come visit and see just how damn funny this all is for us.

Go back to your hole and post these things on the college bulletin boards where all anti government sentiment is welcome. Go to the coffee house, order a latte, smoke a Marboro >box< (you rascal, you) and tell the other members of the old, fat, nobodies that make up the "I wish I was an anarchist but don't have the guts" set how funny and witty you are. Print your post out and take it with you! Read it to your fellow wannabes!

Maybe everyone will love the sarcastic humor you have generated over the pain and suffering of others. Nice job!

However, for me, just go away. And as some will no doubt say, this is a public forum, a free for all, and anyone can post anything. So with that in mind, the next time you decide to be cute and witty, will you please address the header this way?

OT: Self serving VOMIT ahead

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Odd that you'd choose to go into a thread with an OT in the subject line, then. Are you also the sort who goes into stores you don't want to shop in to announce you don't like what they're offering?

I thought his post was a, you know, joke. Humor? Heard of that?

Laughter is very theraputic. Perhaps you should try it. It's one path to healing. It's as valid as any other.

Robert,

With all due respect, grow a thicker skin and/or learn how to killfile threads, header contents, or posters you don't want to read. Or just lighten the f*ck up - that would do too.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Well Dave, since you want to call me out and make it personal, move the f*ck down here and take a look around. I wonder how funny (aka, theraputic) this would be if your and yours were affected....

Guess it depends on whose wagon is in the ditch. I don't remember any great, healing humor coming out of 9/11, guess I should have checked here.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

See what I mean about thin skin? You posted a message in a thread you went out of your way to go into, complaining about reading something you chose to read. If you want to take it personal that I point out the obvious, by all means feel free to do so.

I guess that implies that you are assuming me and mine haven't ever been affected by a disaster. I guess you would be wrong.

Google for "gallows humor" and be educated. Or, follow my previous suggestion regarding killfiles. They're a wonderful way to allow you to not have to bother reading messages or threads or people who aren't worth reading. Here, I'll show you how they work:

Buh-bye, Robert. Figure out how to deal with it. Or not. But bitching about OT posts in threads marked OT is a marvellous way to get yourself ignored. (shrug?) doesn't matter a bit to me.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

[snipped for brevity...and I don't wanna get any on me..]

You KNEW it was a joke! There's no way Bush would sell Louisiana to the French and lose all that fertile recruiting potential.

Reply to
Robatoy

Maybe he also calls his local parking enforcement officer when he sees cars parked in the fire lane.

Regardless, if you don't like Mr Nailshooter's remarks, why don't YOU STF up?

Reply to
fredfighter

Seems you two have that much in common.

Reply to
fredfighter

Geez! Lighten up! I though it was pretty fricken funny, (and a good idea too!) The post was far short of the usual political bashing! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Bush has been accused of being stupid but I don't think he is stupid enough to sell of one of the most significant ports in the world upon which America's farm crops absolutely are dependent. And that's not to mention oil production and services. We haven't truly felt the loss of New Orleans yet, but we will.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

I thought it was funny, not political. But then again, I can see humor in my own pain and suffering too. Your life will be much better if you do. You will live longer and healthirer if you don't get deprssed.

I also did what I could to help others with their losses from Katrina too. We're all in this together. What can we do to help you?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On 27 Sep 2005, Dave Hinz spake unto rec.woodworking:

But not by YOU, obviously.

Reply to
X.S.Whyte-Noyes

Just how old are you boy...

Some things are funny ...some things are not....

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Thinking you're having a bad day there fella but you're not alone. I found the post funny and I'm one of the people that lived in the Back Bay area years ago and we had a high water mark in our living room at about the 7' mark. So a few of us do know what you're going thru and we know if you lighten up a bit, things will go a lot easier for you also. Life - it's all about attitude.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow,

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Ed and BobS... you are both right. I am probably more than a little sensitive here... all we have had since Katrina is turmoil in our city (San Antonio, TX). All of our volunteers are worn out, including me. Most have given beyond their means in time, money and goods.

We had amost 15,000 people here for Katrina, with a few thousand remaining. We picked up about the same amount with Rita, but they are all pretty much gone.

Yeah, it's tense for us around here, and I am certainly not the only one on edge. We were OUT of gas in some areas of town just a few day ago, the stores were wiped out of a lot of types of food, and all of us that could volunteer were stretched pretty thin. First it was Katrina, then it was immediately followed by Rita. No real recovery time for any of us, and few replenishment supplies.

My sister and her family lost everything in the great Houston flood of

2000 (?) (including a drowned friend) and many here did the same with their home underwater (only a few inches in mine) in 2001. So we all know the drill, we all know what to do. We know things will get fixed, we know things will get back to normal, even if it is a normal we didn't have before.

But we are also all tired. Tired of the second guessing media, tired of Oprah's march to Mississippi, tired of long winded politicians that deliver little. Tired of this becoming a partisan issue. Tired of giving, tired of volunteering, tired of being asked for more. Just tired.

We will all muddle through. I don't mind some humor, and we all found a few spots here and there through all our travails over the years. Just not at the expense of others.

I got a kick out of some of the nasty comments put my way after I broke both wrists back in 2002, but they were aimed at me personally. I was teased incessantly, even after the casts were off and I had a almost a year of PT to get my wrists back to usable. It never stopped. After being in construction for 30 years, I have a pretty thick skin, but still don't care for smartasses. It IS possible this post hit me the wrong way.

But geez, look how thin skinned some of the other posters are... Dave announced he picked up his toys and just went home. Now THAT made me laugh.

Our situation here is certainly no worse (again, depends on whose wagon is in the ditch) than all the folks that have faced all the other forest fires, mud slides, floods, hurricanes, etc. Aid is pouring in from all directions, and for us, life will be normal soon. For the poor people closer to the coast, it will never be normal again.

So maybe I hit it here a little hard. That post may never have been funny for me, but it probably would have rated no more than a glance in another month or so.

Maybe another contributing factor to the crankiness of our guests and volunteers... did I mention it has broken 100 degrees for the last few days? Try working out in that with our normal high humidity.

As for Ed's thoughtful and appreciated question of what one can do, give what you can to a reliable charity. All of ours are tapped out of food, blankets, pillows, cots, fans, emergency first aid kits, aspirins, bandaids, batteries, etc. I cannot imagine anyone else's having anything left either so I am sure they would appreciate any help given.

One last thing, thanks for the positive thoughts.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

But would he sell it to Halliburton?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Life is either a comedy or a tragedy - we get to choose :-).

Reply to
lgb

To whom? Ever hear of gallows humor?

A sane person can find humor in just about anything, or maybe stay sane by finding the humor. Maybe share it.

barry

Hi JG,

I want to apologize for my off-handed comment. I usually try to think before I type.

Lou

Reply to
loutent