OT: One serious hunk of global warming.

I have crossed this lake many times. One night, it was so calm, the water so mirror-like, that the stars in the sky reflected downward into the water, effectively doing away with any sense of the horizon. Outer space travel. Then the Northern Lights lit up, almost knocking me on my ass. I could almost hear them.
It's been a tad frosty up there this winter, she's frozen over.
http://www.sott.net/image/image/17966/full/Lake_20Superior_20ice_20Mar3_09.jpg
here's a bit more info on that Superior of Lakes... for those who are interested.
http://www.great-lakes.net/lakes/ref/supfact.html

The scenery is absolutely astounding but I wouldn't want to live up there for all the money. Too damn cold for me and would be less time to ride the motorcycle.
SBH wrote:

More places to ride a snow machine.

Well , different strokes. You get skiing and snowshoeing to balance hiking in the warmer months. If you really need a motorized ride, try a snow mobile. If you really want a thrill, try ice sailing.
Personally, I couldn't stand the summer heat of the southern months. I moved back to Michigan, partly to get some real winters. When I talk with my brother in Tucson, I think that I am glad to be somewhere with normal seasons.
"Robatoy" wrote:

A stat not included is that in the dead of summer, the water doesn't get above 46F, 36" below the surface.
Superior is a beautiful but also is a very dangerous body of water for the unwise.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

"The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down . . ."

Now you've done it. I have the song running in loops through my head. Have you visited the light house museum at Whitefish point?
"But I told that kid a hundred times "Don't take the lakes for granted. They go from calm to a hundred knots so fast they seem enchanted." But tonight some red-eyed Wiarton girl lies staring at the wall, And her lover's gone into a white squall."

Where are you up there? I have a brother-in-law at the Soo and his parents live on Neebish Island.

I am about 1000 km South of Salt Saint Suzie. Quite a bit shorter through Michigan. I am at the Southern tip of Lake Huron. Sarnia, to be precise... on the Molson side.