OT On/Topic... removing rust the easy way.

Page 2 of 3

I musta missed that last one, but hit many previous NObtBs. Got an autographed copy of Prudhomme's book, met my last GF, Paul, Taj Mahal, learned to 2-step, and ate some real Du Monde beignet's. Big fun!
Sad I missed that last one. Little Feat is one of my fave bands.
nb
On 6/1/2016 11:49 AM, notbob wrote:

Actually have an old SM57 with Lowell George's DNA on it. <g> Back in the mid 70's provided sound equipment for them at show here in Houston and he used my mic, spit all over it ... still have it.
Rad Gumbo ... good chops, no chopsticks ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

_Waiting for Columbus_ is still one of the best live albums, ever.
(Although, _Made in Japan_, _Strangers in the Night_ (UFO, not Sinatra), the _GRP All Star Big Band 10th Anniversary_ and _Road Scholars_ are excellent as well). Just recently, amazon recommended _Black Symphony_ and it has grown on me over several listening sessions).
Swingman wrote:

The first time I went to a crawfish boil, my thumbs got sore peeling those suckers. No, I didn't suck the heads.
--
GW Ross

I know Karate, Kung Fu, and 47 other
On 6/1/2016 10:01 AM, G. Ross wrote:

You lucky dog, you. Little more pleasurable in life than than peeling and eating enough boiled crawfish to make your thumbs sore.

You gotta get over that affliction, and get that fluid motion going: pinch/twist/suck/sip cold beer.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

I usta eat shrimp shells, specially the tails.
I agree, crawfish shells are inedible. I suspect shrimp shells usta be similarly thick, but shrimp farming has rendered shrimp practially shell-less. Remember when Thai shrimp usta be called "black tiger prawns" or jes "tiger prawns"? Now they should be called "ghost shrimp" cuz they're all white and bleached out. I won't even eat shrimp, anymore. 8|
nb

You can, but then they are called skewers. :)

BBQ butts are pretty good.

Yeah. It's often referred to as "sticky" rice. A distinct species of rice which is very "glutinous" (gummy) and is supposed to cook up like that. If you don't like yer rice, "gummy", then choose a different type of rice. Long white rice and basmati are "fluffy" rices. ;)
nb
On 5/31/2016 2:08 PM, notbob wrote:

Look at you .. telling a coonass, who can look at any rice field and tell you how much gravy it will take to cover it up, about rice??
Besides, I have a wife who I guarantee will never fail to make _any_ rice gummy ... that's apparently how they teach'em in AR.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 12:07:42 PM UTC-4, Swingman wrote:

..snip...

OK, speaking of rust, vinegar and coffee makers:
I picked up a cowboy percolator at a garage sale last weekend. There was coffee stains in the pot so I used the trick I use for my stainless steel carafe: put some hot water and powered dish washing soap in the pot and let it soak.
This worked great for the coffee stains but revealed some rust on the bottom (inside) of the pot. I have not done anything with the rust yet but here's my concern:
I wonder if the enamel coating has worn off of the bottom of the pot exposing the metal. Am I going to have an on-going rust problem, so much so that I might as well just toss the pot? The thought of making coffee in a rusty pot takes away from the allure of using a cowboy percolator on a propane stove - err, I mean a *campfire*. Yeah, campfire, that's what I meant. ;-)
Any thoughts on permanently removing the rust/sealing the surface in a food-safe manner?
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Dry it after using.
On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 1:52:04 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:

While camping? Come on...
;-)
On 06/01/2016 1:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Camping and worrying about a little rust don't seem to jibe, either... :)
Shoulda' not removed the protective layer, it'd kept it all covered!
I'm sure none of the high-temp enamel-repair paints are technically covered for food contact, but I'd think it highly unlikely would be any real issue once were fully cured and baked out a time or two.
OTOH, I really doubt there's a serious issue anyway for such occasional use unless it had a lead-soldered seam or somesuch (and even there I'd not expect the exposure to be significant owing simply to it not being an every day occurrence).
$0.02, imo, ymmv, etc, etc., etc., ... :)

On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 2:55:36 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

But this is coffee I'm talking about. Sacred Nectar Of The Gods.
I've got a mason jar of cold brewed coffee concentrate in the fridge as we speak. Cold brewed concentrate is the only thing to use for Iced Coffee. Even the ice cubes are made from the concentrate.

It was somebody else's protective layer. I need to build up my own.

That's a thought. Don't tell SWMBO.
I wonder where I can get the matching blue with the white specks. Does Benjamin Moore sell Cowboy Coffee Pot Blue?
Of course, I'd have to baked it in the portable camp oven.

Every day, multiple times a day (when we're camping) ;-)

Disclaimer(s) noted.
On Wed, 1 Jun 2016 12:26:44 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I have an old gray and white speckled coffee pot comes with the rest of the set, not going camping any more.
On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 5:59:49 PM UTC-4, Markem wrote:

Is that an offer? If so, what are the details of the deal?
On Wed, 1 Jun 2016 07:04:06 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

If you see rust spots through the bottom I'd watch out. The porcelain, I know you said enamel, will break away is small pieces with the chance of cutting up your insides good. If it really is enamel, then I don't know.
On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 4:04:52 PM UTC-4, OFWW wrote:

It's similar to this, which I've always known to be enamel:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/381510776534?lpid &chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
No, the rust isn't through the bottom. After further inspection this evening it appears that the base of the grounds basket has worn away the enamel on the inside bottom of the pot in some spots from use over the years.
On Wed, 1 Jun 2016 16:09:22 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

It's called "vitrified enamel" The enamel is baked to a "glass" finish.