OT On/Topic... removing rust the easy way.

Page 1 of 3
I watch some u tube videos. Mr Pete (metal working) had a nice tip on using vinegar rather than electrolysis.
Well, it worked great. I picked up a miter cutting blade for $5 the other day. It's a big cast iron piece and I'll show pics when complete. It was all rusty and grimmy. The vinegar removed the rust really well and quickly.
I tried the same on a cast iron machinists table I got recently. it had a coat of rust and would not work for welding (ground). put some paper towels on and poured the vinegar on, the rust came off and now my ohm meter shows excellent conduction. Before the meter would not move, and sanding the rust was not working... so I'm really happy about this. Cheap, stinks, easily neutraulized with water, just oil after.
You do have to clean the parts first, the vinegar won't cut through oil and grease.
--
Jeff

On 5/31/2016 10:07 AM, woodchucker wrote:

Good to know! I have also found, by accident, hat most any Titebond type PVA wood glue will remove rust also.
On 5/31/2016 10:07 AM, woodchucker wrote:

Keep a gallon of white vinegar on hand all the time. One of the most useful chemical compounds known to man.
I just used it last week to do my every 6 month drain maintenance on all the drains in the house (with baking soda); to clean out the Kuerig coffee maker, and freshen up the dishwasher; to kill some weeds growing up through the decomposed granite (in lieu of RoundUp).
And, added a tablespoon in with two cups of raw rice cooked in the rice cooker ... keeps the rice from getting gummy.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 5/31/2016 11:07 AM, Swingman wrote:

After my AC guy told me to use vinegar instead of bleach, cheaper, in the AC drain I also started using it in my sinks. Soak you faucet aerator in vinegar and it works like new again.
Swingman wrote:

But, gummy rice stays on your chopsticks better.
--
GW Ross

Abandon the search for Truth; settle
On 5/31/2016 11:43 AM, G. Ross wrote:

No buts ... you don't eat gumbo with chopsticks, cher.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Speak for yourself :-)
On 5/31/2016 1:55 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

I'll cheerfully provide the gumbo just to watch that. lol
Now, if you eat boiled crawfish with chopsticks, we could take that on the road...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

How is that different from unpeeled prawns, which are commonly eaten with chopsticks in certain cultures?
Scott Lurndal wrote:

UNPEELED? That just ain't right. Makes an extra step to eating them. And makes yer fingers messy...
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

Which is why the chopstics <eg>.

Or you can just eat the shell...
snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) writes:

Then there is Pho, for which I also use chopsticks (although there is a spoon for the broth...).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pho
On 5/31/2016 3:38 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

I'm not sure you would want to eat a crawfish in it's shell, they are pretty tough.
On 6/1/2016 8:59 AM, Leon wrote:

Be like pole vaulting with a fly rod ...

Looks like a photo is in order for our Northern brethren as to what a real crawfish boil looks like :
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5248d721e4b0faa97476db69/5254bbb7e4b007332ef7e176/54caf4e6e4b00a0c051230e1/1422589107805/?format 00w
Chopsticks??
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Last crawfish boil around here was 1993 at the Shoreline Amphitheatre "New Orleans by the Bay" (with the Jerry Garcia band, Neville Brothers, B.B. King, Dr. John and Little Feat).
With practice, chopsticks are as useful as fingers for holding the little buggers, but for most, fingers are quicker.
On 6/1/2016 9:58 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Great lineup ...

Ahhh, California! ... that explains the frou-frou lack of utensils! LOL
Just kidding ... sounds like fun, and anyone who eats crawfish can't be all bad, no matter how misguided. ;)
Says he, who binge watches "The OC" nightly ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 9:58:42 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

...if you're talking "Grateful Dead"...then, you need to say that?!
On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 11:48:58 AM UTC-4, Bob Villa wrote:

The Grateful Dead did not play at the 1993 "New Orleans by the Bay" event.
The Jerry Garcia Band did.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Garcia_Band
On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 11:00:08 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

...did you see that little word "if"? 8^p