OT- On/Off Switch

Saw a tv commercial the other night. Its a Jeep commercial on how productive the US use to be. I noticed when an electrical switch was activated the colors were reversed. The ON part of the switch was RED. The Off part was Green. Its no wonder the US doesn't produce much anymore, can't even figure out how a switch should be labeled and colored. But then again the switch was probably built in China.
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !

I haven't seen the commercial, but I've seen setups for some computer labs where the master switch is color coded as you describe. Red = burning money (on) Green = "thinking green" (off)
The light panels were near the door. It reminded the teachers to shut off the computers (and gave them an easy way to do so).

For status indicators, red=on, green=off is -not- that uncommon. onngerous, off=safe. keep clear when the red light is on. OK to approach when the green light is on.
I've also have seen it used in two semi houses - two Giants -
Red is not producing. Green is producing.
Go fix the red machine or get another operator...
Traffic light theory.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 6/26/2010 4:12 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

I have seen both systems used in the electrical distribution industry.
We used red = breaker closed = on = alive = dangerous green = breaker open = off = go = safe
Other utilities used red breaker open = off = stopped green = breaker closed = electrons go (traffic light style)
Many systems are adapted from the gas and water utility industries also. Now we have closed = gas stopped = breaker closed = electricity flowing open = valve open = gas flowing = breaker open = electricity stopped
Culture can hurt you! Ask the yoghurt manufacturers!

Know I'm throughly confused. Nothing can be Stupid Simple any more!!!
Josepi wrote:

--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !

Appologies Evodawg.
Faked headers reported to
snipped-for-privacy@iad.com
I suggest you do the same.
tit for tat?
Know I'm throughly confused. Nothing can be Stupid Simple any more!!!

Appologies Evodawg.
Come and sit with me the moron poster. I will lead you through mail bouncing and spamming.
I am expert at these things.
READ MY BIO!
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.solar.photovoltaic/msg/a57dda4e6757f15c?hl=en
Know I'm throughly confused. Nothing can be Stupid Simple any more!!!