OT: Okra question. Swingman?

Page 3 of 4

Breaded. Most fried foods seem to have some sort of breading on them.
Puckdropper

On 01 Mar 2010 14:47:42 GMT, the infamous Puckdropper

I think the one time I tried okra in a restaurant it was breaded. I never went back. Okra is fine fried or boiled, but not breaded.
--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Lambert's? There is one somewhere around Mobile, insane quantaties of food, my whole family could have gotten by with what was on my plate.
basilisk

You got it. Ever seen their salads?
The one you're thinking of is in Foley, AL. The original one is in Sikeston, MO. (There's only 3 of them.)
Puckdropper

Yeah, I remember now, knew it was in that area somewhere. It's a fun place and the food is good and I'm sure there are some folks that can eat the portions they serve, but I was a little put off by the waste. As Momma said, "There's people starving in Africa".
basilisk
nntp-06.dc1.easynews.com:

They're usually more than happy to give you aluminum foil to take whatever you didn't eat home for later. We usually get two meals out of a trip to Lambert's.
Puckdropper

I roast okra too, only I coat it in olive oil, salt and pepper. in the oven at 400 for about 30 minutes. Concentrates the flavor and not near as slick as boiled.
Thanks to Robatoy, I just finished some along with a pork steak and cooked down and fried squash.
basilsik
-----
Oh m'gosh that sounds good!
I love Okra all kinds of ways, pickled, in soup & stews, fried, breaded and fried, raw when it's young and tender..
Once the garden is up and running this year, I'm going to give this a try. You can cook asparagus like that too,. Get a big enough baking dish so you can spread it out in a single layer, coat with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and roast for about 30 min @ 375. It's the best! Especially when the little tips get just a bit of crunch on them.
Man, now I really want some for dinner.
"Kate" wrote:

-------------------------------------- Similar trick works for string beans, especially late in the season when the beans start to get tough.
Keep the salt, add pepper flakes.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

and try a little parmigiano-reggiano grated over the veggies. Scrape it and veggies off the baking sheet when melted and before it goes black.
On 3/9/2010 5:23 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I just had a weird idea--Okra fried rice. I'm out of okra at the moment--next time I go shopping I might get some and give that a try.
My wife likes it cooked on the grill. Brush on some mainade or olive oil, a little salt and pepper and she is in heaven. I don't like it any way it is cooked. I think the only reason they invented gumbo was to hide the taste of okra.
George aka Bumhead
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 17:40:13 -0500, "J. Clarke"

"bumhead" wrote:

------------------------------- A great marinade for veggies on the grill is Wishbone Italian salad dressing.
Don't bother wasting time trying other brands, they just don't compete.
Have a S/S saute pan full of 1/2" dia holes that does a great job on the grill.
No veggies fall thru to the grate, available at one of those cooking speciality shops.
Lew
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 21:12:41 -0600, the infamous Swingman

FIVE TO SIX MINUTES?!? Holy Shit, Batman! He flames 'em to embers. A large baked potato takes an hour in the oven, 9 minutes in the nuker. Hmm, are you running an old 400w microwave, Swingy?
--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
On 3/1/2010 5:43 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Not all that old, a couple of years maybe ... covered pyrex dish, splash of water, pat of butter, creole seasoning, and some extra black pepper, and nuked about five to six minutes does the trick around here ... tender and perfectly done. During the summer time this is a four or five night a week dish (I don't get bored eating any vegetable ... probably have eaten more spinach than popeye, have it _every_ night of the week ... nuke it 2:45, in case you're wondering). :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Robbie looooves them there epinards.......

For true!
On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 17:59:01 -0600, the infamous Swingman

Hell, boy. I pop a whole bag of extrabutter popcorn in 2:05 in mine.
--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
On 3/2/2010 12:19 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Yabbut, my deck is bigger than yours ....
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

OK, you win. I don't wanna go there. (Yes, I saw the skit.)
--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
On 2/28/2010 4:16 PM, Swingman wrote:

Most gumbo cooks use "cut okra" ... just slice/crosscut whole okra into wheels about 1/2" long. Not all that critical, but if you put cut okra in too early, it will all but disappear by the time the gumbo is ready to eat ... not a bad thing for some who don't really like okra.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08