OT- Oil futures- was Why General Motors is doomed

Teamcasa said:

Something to ponder: Let's use up all of the Middle East oil first. Like Bahrain has. They now have nothing to sell. They, like Bahrain will have to become an importer of goods. Their closed society will have to become part of the "Flat World" as Friedman pointed out. They will have to rely on their people as a resource and again, like Bahrain, will have to moderate to succeed.
Since Canada alone has by some estimates, 1.6 trillion barrels of oil compared to Saudi Arabia's 250 billion barrels of reserves, I doubt the next few dozen generations will have much to worry about. I do believe that we should act responsibly, conserve and control emissions, not just for our sake but for the sake of the planet. That means, we (as a country) must stop buying products produced by countries that have no pollution control over their manufacturing.
It would take a 1,000,000 conversions from my truck to Hybrid vehicles to equal the pollution of a few days of China's steel production alone. (No real facts to back that up - but if you Google it, you'll find them)
Lastly, If the past 100 years is any indication, our descendants will create technologies that will render oil production to a trickle. Or they will witness the earth's tipping point first hand.
Dave

Because they are our friend. But keep next Tuesday open anyway. Rain date Thursday.

Our descendants?? Your seeing it NOW

What do you think of when you think GM? Do you think of cars and pickups or do you think of GMAC, Electromotive, Allison Transmission/Turbine, Delco Electronics, Delco-Remy and more?
I doubt that GM is going under anytime soon.
R. Pierce Butler wrote:
> > What do you think of when you think GM? Do you think of cars and pickups > or do you think of GMAC, Electromotive, Allison Transmission/Turbine, > Delco Electronics, Delco-Remy and more?
Maybe 30 years ago, but not today.
Last time I was in Allison, it was part of Detroit Diesel and looked like a morgue.
Penske gobbled up DDA, but lost track of what happened to Allison.
Rigamortis had already set in at Electromotive.
This was mid 80's.
Who is Delco?
Ever hear of Delphi who is about to go B/K?
GM has come a long way down hill since the days of 55% market penetration.
Lew
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 23:44:06 GMT, "R. Pierce Butler"

A pension and healthcare obligation larger than their projected income?
<...snipped...>

How many of those are still part of GM? For sure Allison (along with Detroit Diesel) was sold years ago.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
"R. Pierce Butler"

themselves out and as product continues to evolve and improve.
Dave