OT: Obama stops oil leak in Gulf. BP staff grateful.

Page 9 of 14

I'd have to sleep with one eye open.
On 7/25/10 5:58 PM, Robatoy wrote:

:-)
--
Froz...

HA!
Larry Jaques wrote:

While the thread is OT and getting uninteresting to me and hopefully most people here, the option to ignore it is yours.
It would take me less than 30 seconds to filter this thread, or all threads marked OT, or all threads from Robocop. Waiting for any of us to get a room because you say so will take a while... Much more than 30 seconds.
--
Jack
Mr. Geithner, May I Borrow Your TurboTax?

The government, by law, already controls more than 90% of the economy. It chooses not to exercise day to day control in some instances. 10% is either barter, or illegal.

I think there is a typo above since I do not believe you mean "make the ability of smaller businesses to compete."
But finally something to agree on! Congress has most definitely overdone the regulation of almost everything (especially tax-related). If only we could foresee the effects of ditching all the special regulations and tax advantages of all those rules and laws and regulations. One of the reasons I am retiring now I can, is that I resent to the nth degree the filling out of forms, recertifications, and repeating exams for compliance here there and everywhere in biomedical research. Especially because the penalties on those who transgress seem puny, and the efforts of the good guys hugely time-consuming.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Yeah, something in there either got garbled or lost, that should have read, "make the ability of smaller businesses to compete more difficult if not impossible."

Yep, something we can both agree on. That is one of the reasons that I cannot support statists running for office -- their idea of "solving problems" means creating more laws and more government regulations so that folks like you and I spend more time following processes and paperwork than being productive.

Rob Leatham

Do your own search. Run the numbers yourself. They don't add up. IOW, Obamaniacs lie. Nothing new here, though.

A POLITICIAN LIED ???
CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE GET THE PRESIDENTIAL HISTORIANS ON THE PHONE ... PRONTO ??
PAGING MICHAEL BESCHLOSS !
So ... were YOU bitching, here, when the Bush Administration wove an endless string of lies, or ... are you just FAR more partisan than actually principled ?
Just curious.
"Robatoy" wrote:

That has proved to be a very slippery slope.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

than when orals or comps were upon me.
If you need structured or group prayers, I will volunteer to write them along with my friends Wong and Achmed. What say?

Bring Mordecai along, too, and you got my vote ;-)

Go into your homes and pray to the father behind closed doors. Those who pray in public already have their reward. Or somesuch. Attributed to Jesus speaking to the deciples.
Dave in Prague

I want to visit Prague. friends of mine were there last winter and were blown away with all the things to see and do there. Are the prices as nuts as Vienna?

Only because the extreme Left are a Godless bunch and want to shove their agenda down the throats of those kids who DO have a belief of their own. I think people should be allowed to worship and not have their prayers outlawed by some legislative body. It's similar to the abortion issue. I don't believe in abortions (other than for difficult medical issues) but I DO believe a woman should be able to decide her path for herself. You cannot legislate morals. You cannot legislate the freedom to practise religion/prayer away from where kids congregate. Whatcha gonna do? rewrite that line: One Nation Under FSM? You see, in my world a person is a complicated blend of right and left- wing views. Just because I don't believe in solving all my problem with a gun, doesn't mean that the guy who rapes my kid isn't going to die by my gun.
"Robatoy" wrote:

their own. ------------------------------ Oh please.
There is a time and a place for everything.
Practicing religion during the school day doesn't meet that requirement.
Lew

Look at all the old bastards around you. They all grew up in that environment. Didn't turn out too bad, did they?

I don't think I turned out too bad, except that my right side limbs break too easily. Never had prayer in schools - public Dutch education. But then the society I grew up in had a very judeo-christian value set. Praying (and cursing) was for the various christian sects' schools.
Please pardon the ravings of an old man.
--
Best regards
Han

Speaking as one of those "old bastards" and as one of about 7 Jewish kids (out of a couple hundred) attending the elementary school in the small Pennsylvania town where I grew up, I'm 100% with Lew on THAT issue; religion has no place in a public school. I would have been extremely grateful to not have to have suffered through listening to readings from the new testament that contradicted my own religion. Let alone the accusations and claims that were repeated around Easter about how "your people" killed Jesus.

And ... THAT one would be known as "Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc."
Here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_hoc_ergo_propter_hoc
You DO fit in with this bunch ;-)