OT: Obama stops oil leak in Gulf. BP staff grateful.

Page 4 of 14  

Lobby Dosser wrote:

Billy Mays, one of the few people who could talk in all capital letters.
--

There is never a situation where having more rounds is a disadvantage

Rob Leatham
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"Upscale" wrote:

Bumped him up a couple of grades I see.
Lew
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 00:14:20 -0700, "Lew Hodgett" .

Har! You make me laugh sometimes Lew. You really do. I laughed so loud my cat shot out of the room like a bullet. Now I have to find her and make amends. :)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jack Stein wrote:

Fox's attitude MAY have been a business decision.
Assume 30% of the country is liberal, 30% conservative, and 40% don't have an opinion. Each of the three major networks got (roughly) 1/3 of the viewers.
Along comes Fox.
Fox gets all the conservatives and 1/4 of the independents (30 + 10 = 40% of the viewership). The three majors are left to divvy up the remaining 60% - they each get 20%.
Result: Fox gets twice as many viewers as any one of the networks. That means twice the revenue.
Therefore, as it turns out, being conservative is a good business decision... but we knew that.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Only if the demographics match the advertiser's desired audience.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Wow. Too much to comment on. :o)
I think you missed what I was trying to say. I, myself, am very conservative. You are right: I will probably not change but I wasn't talking about people changing their stripes or spots.
I was trying to say that unless people from both sides talk TO each other instead of trying to drown out the other side all the time, then we will forever be polarized. Both sides go to the extremes whenever they try to point out the weaknesses in the other side's arguments.
I think one of the biggest things that divide us is that the liberals seem to worry far too much about the people who are living on and beyond the fringe at the expense of the vast, vast majority. On the other hand, many conservatives say those people on the fringe should simply be ignored, which isn't the right thing to do, either. Everybody deserves help until they prove otherwise...BUT...you can't bankrupt the masses for the few.
It is a fine line that we need to walk. One thing is for sure: if you have a government who wants to take over everything, you will create a monster that will not be stopped easily. It is far, far better to have people to WANT to help those in need on their own instead of being FORCED to do so. Whenever people are FORCED to do something, there will be massive push back. And that is what you are seeing now.
It is amazing that one of the biggest things I brought up was completely ignored and that was the health care insurance debate. There is a way to appease both sides to a point and that would be to create a government insurance agency (well, there is already some there: Medicare and Medicaid) and allow people to purchase their health insurance thru them if they cannot find a better price on the open market. They would benefit because of the commodities of scale but you won't be forcing everybody in the country to pitch, just those who choose to do so. We all pay for the people who don't have insurance now anyways in the form of higher insurance premiums, high hospital bills, high doctor bills, and high prescription costs. The thing is, we aren't going to save SQUAT because the costs will shift from things like I listed into taxes. Short sightedness abounds in this whole discussion.
And, to fuel the fire, I guess, Obama is great at shooting from the hip but has no solid plans in mind whenever he does things. All the crap that he is trying to get pushed thru is so darn open-ended and will be completed on the fly. My question to the liberals out there is: Doesn't this scare the crap out of you?? What happens if these open-ended policies are still in effect whenever a conservative Congress and President get into office, these "laws" will take a violent turn!
More of my two-cents, I guess. I am sure some will be pissed what I said from both sides. Whatever. Let us talk about them in a civil manner and not jump around like Daffy Duck.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
busbus wrote:

Yet my comments were directly in response to stuff you said, and I quoted each statement to which I was replying.

This is a good thing, but you need to quote some stuff said for context.

I think you missed my point, but since you didn't quote anything, I'd have to go back and read an old message for context. However, I don't feel like doing your work for you.

Ahh, my point is we will most likely forever be polarized and all the hot air on earth changes almost no mind sets. It is possible of course for one to go from liberal to conservative and vice versa, but it is rare. Beavis and Butthead, (aka Robocop and Upscale) will remain worthless.

Yes, that is true. Plenty, Robocop and Upscale for example, seldom come up with more than childish name calling and personal attacks. On the rare case they do more than attack, the childish name calling is generally more remarkable than their lame arguments.

I never heard a conservative say that. I've heard Liberals say that about conservatives however.

No one will go bankrupt helping others unless the government is hell bent on destroying the economy. (ref. Cloward and Piven)

As in kill at least million a year average over the past 100 years. (ref http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM )
It is far, far better to

This is a natural human trait.
Whenever people are FORCED to do something,

Perhaps, but more important is the "help" is not helping much, in fact, the "help" is hurting, giving credence to Quinn's law that liberalism always generates the exact opposite of its stated intent. Being forced to do something that doesn't work should not go over well, should it?

I don't want the government telling me what health care I need, will get, will not get etc. The only health care reform needed is to let insurance providers freely compete.

Sorry, but I totally disagree. Obama is an anti-American socialist hell bent on fundamentally changing the country into a socialistic mess. He has been very successful so far.

Yeah, conservatives are really violent? You say you are a conservative so I guess you know? Anyhow, I get your point. If I'm president, Robocop and Upscale get Doctor Kevorkian.

Who cares. Say what you want. Better to be pissed off than pissed on...
Whatever. Let us talk about them in a civil manner and not jump around like Daffy Duck.
You mean you don't like simply calling someone a red-neck, idiot or douche-nozzle? Even Daffy Duck can muster more than that:-)
--
Jack
The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
--

Maybe I SHOULD start pointing out how you're an endless stream of illogic.
Not every day, issue, confrontation, or even military action is the American Revolution.
And ... the mere fact that you think your stash of small arms is going to stop The Greatest Military the Earth Has Ever Known from turning on its citizenry -- should it ever decide to (not MY paranoid delusion, by the way) is further evidence that ideology (if NOT fear) -- not rational thought -- drives you.
You're a walking bumper-sticker, Jack. Bumper sticker slogans seem to serve the need of ... some sort of person ... to simplify things far enough that THEY can get THEIR heads around it.
Any way -- ANY way, at all -- to get you to trade that in for critical thinking ?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Neil Brooks wrote:

Speaking of logic...
I agree that a few small arms are useless, just like installing Punji stakes would be silly to protect one's home from an elephant stampede. The small arms are useless because the need for their use will never happen.
The U.S. Military will not and can not turn on its citizenry (except in necessary cases like Kent State).
You may be projecting: The military is not made of mindless robots or cannon fodder that blindly follow orders. Each member of the armed forces is a professional. A four-star general recognizes the corporal running the radio is as much an expert at his job as the general is at his.
A platoon of infantry simply will not follow orders to fire on civilians, either Americans or Afghanis (unless, of course, the soldiers can be persuaded the band of protesters are really dope-smoking hippies).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Not projecting ... anything.
Go look on the Internet. THOUSANDS of people believe that the 2nd Amendment is critical -- in no small part -- to protect themselves from a government that THEY view as increasingly tyrannical.
I ain't making this shit up. I COULDN'T make this shit up....
As to your comments about the military -- they're people ... just like everybody else. They don't really lend themselves well to nice neat labels and descriptions.
Some is. Some ain't.
Some will. Some won't.
Those are about the only nice neat labels that work, across such a large group as "The Military."
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Neil Brooks wrote:

You are correct in that many fear their own government. But I assert their belief is not proof. Millions believe in UFOs or the efficacy of colonic irrigation. Remember, "belief" is defined as: "a psycholigical condition where the individual holds a proposition to be true without a factual basis." A wise man once told me: "I don't CARE what you believe, I only care about what you can PROVE."

Agreed there are exceptions within any group. Still, the "military" are not like the non-military. They are our warrior class and get their primary satisfaction in life from killing people and blowing things up.
--

Only the hard. Only the strong.

We march.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

But is also defined as "conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence".
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Lobby Dosser wrote:

I didn't put words in anybody's mouth (except my own).
In point of fact, I was agreeing with you - to the extent that many people believe strange things. Impossible things. Crazy things.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Learning about quoting and attribution would go a long way, around here, too ;-)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Except I didn't write that which you attribute to me.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Lobby Dosser wrote:

I have confidence you'll come around.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jack Stein wrote:

Thanks for putting a name to something I've always held. My formulation is: "Most of society's problems can be traced to an upstream liberal program that failed."
Some examples are: * Emptying the insane asylums equals the homeless zombies walking our streets. * The entire fabric of public education. * Uncertainty of government action coupled with lifetime unemployment benefits equals massive idleness. * Canceling our participation in the Olympics caused Russia to feel shame over the invasion of Afghanistan.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I have NO idea what those "examples" are supposed to indicate, but ... you have a sample size issue.
In other words, your 'arguments' are just about as compelling (read: juvenile and worthless) as the "I've got a cousin, who has a friend who's Canadian, and HE lost a leg, waiting for a surgery, blah, blah, blah" arguments that somebody else launched earlier.
Arguing that the politics of one major party in this country are the reason for all of our ills ... is like watching a couple of five year old kids argue about whose crayon it is, on the kindergarten playground.
Pathetic.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Neil Brooks wrote:

Heh!
"Sample size?" Most of the homeless choose that lifestyle because of mental disease or defect. In the '70's it was determined that one could not be held ("incarcerated") against his will for mental deficiency if he posed no threat to himself or others. And so we have hundreds of thousands stalking our streets demanding "spare change," smelling bad, and otherwise offending the sensibilities of normal folk.
And I didn't argue that ALL of our ills are caused by one major PARTY; I said: "MOST ... can be traced to ... LIBERAL program that failed."
It's possible the prism through which you darkly view contrarian views is broke.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.