OT: Obama stops oil leak in Gulf. BP staff grateful.

Because they will be relaxing and swimming, not digging mountains of oil soaked sand with shovels.

Are you a reporter? I have seen nothing more in clean up measures than a shovel slightly scraping the surface of the beach. I do however see lots of kids digging deep with their plastic sand shovels.

Are you a BP flunky?
The kids can go cool off in the water any time they wish, or move under mommy's umbrella. They probably aren't there for an 8 hour day, every day, either.
The difference is major.

The clean up workers have the same privlidges with tents to go to.
While they may be there 8 hours their actual time working is only 2.5~3 hours per day with 30 minute breaks every 15 minutes.
Grew up near the beach, not that hot, plenty of wind. The story was distorted and sensationalized.
I am NOT for BP as they are always in the news in Houston with plant explosions and constantly violations of safety rules and regulations. But, making up and sensationalizing the actual events is what the media does.

Read an article recently on how the real estate market has been affected ~ particularly so with Canadian snow birds. Every local with an oil infected beach within 100 miles or more has had the snow birds drop their purchase negotiations completely.

While there is no doubt there is some serious damage, the entire coast is not nearly as bad off as the media would have you believe. The coast line is hundreds upon hundreds of mile long. The media shows hundreds up on hundreds of yards of shore line. Imagine what a dream story it would be for the reporters if they had something to back up their insinuations.
Because the belief is that the entire shore is affected, because of out of context reporting by the media, the entire region suffers.

But, your honor, I only put one tiny bullet hole in his forehead! Now you want me to be responsible for the rest of the body? That just isn't fair!

You left out the part where the media heard and reported to the shooter that the guy with the hole in his head had been doing the shooters wife.

OTOH, some of the clean-up workers will get to live in the notorious FEMA trailers which had been in storage at the Jefferson Proving Grounds in Jeffersonville, IN.
Somehow, I think formaldehyde ought to go quite nicely with oil spills.
Bill wrote:

It's also a legal principle that fines and judgments are assessed by judges and juries and legislation and penalties are defined by the legislative branch of government. In the case of the $20B, that didn't happen either.

Rob Leatham

Technically, the $20B is an escrow, held against clean-up costs. Speculation is that those costs will run higher than the set-aside.
The fines and judgements will (we hope) come later.
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 16:55:51 -0400, Steve

Why would you hope for fines and judgements for something that was an accident?
said:

Same reason there are fines and judgments in auto accidents. There is the matter of culpability.

Fines nor judgments are required after an auto accident. Fines are levied if a law was broken. Judgements are only made if there is a loss. If everyone has been made whole there is nothing to judge.

You read this?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10548872

No

No

How many times are you going to post that link tonight?

As many as I feel like. Have you read it yet? Do you understand it?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10548872

Sure. Irrelevant, but I read it.