OT: Obama stops oil leak in Gulf. BP staff grateful.

Page 11 of 14

Swingman wrote:

You also noticed that "we". Arrogant little twerp, isn't he?

Rob Leatham

And right on the heels of his new book that also qualifies for the worlds shortest book.
How I earned the Nobel Piece Prize.

I think it is wonderful to see BP step up to the plate to keep our Hummers humming... even though they consumed an American president in the process.

I think it is wonderful to see BP step up to the plate to keep our Hummers humming... even though they consumed an American president in the process.
Win, Win

.
Fishermen in Mississippi say they are angry that under the terms of BP's $20 billion oil spill fund, money they earn doing clean-up will be subtracted from their claim against the company.
Robatoy wrote:

Angry or not, you can't sue for lost income you didn't incur. That's just a legal principle.

I thought the plan was to clean up the mess. Now where is the motivation for anybody to help? If the claim is $ 10,000, why work to get less? If they get a job elsewhere at a reduced income, why should BP benefit?
(BTW, I am not suggesting it is illegal for BP to do this.)
Robatoy wrote:

One could argue the other side, why should BP be subject to unusual penalties (that were created just for them).
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 14:48:50 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

You know damn well Obama want's those fishermen to work cleaning up this mess. If they don't do the clean-up the fool in the White House won't be able to claim he created even more jobs.
When you subsidize poverty and failure, you get more of both.

I thought the plan was to clean up the mess. Now where is the motivation for anybody to help? If the claim is $ 10,000, why work to get less? If they get a job elsewhere at a reduced income, why should BP benefit?
(BTW, I am not suggesting it is illegal for BP to do this.)
Current income is not necessarily the biggest issue. There was an article in the past few days about Cordova Alaska and what the town has gone through during the past two decades:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10548872

I thought the plan was to clean up the mess. Now where is the motivation for anybody to help? If the claim is $ 10,000, why work to get less? If they get a job elsewhere at a reduced income, why should BP benefit?
(BTW, I am not suggesting it is illegal for BP to do this.)
Well in the real world, some one is going to come in and do the clean up and most likely the time it takes will be considerable. More than likely they will stay after the clean up and become your competition. IMHO it would be to the fishermans advantage to do the cleanup themselves, stay employeed, and not have others coming in and possibly taking future business away from them.
All in all the claims should not be a "prize" so much as a compensation to help you maintain your normal income level. You would have to work normally, you should continue to work.

They won't get less. The question is why should they *benefit*? They are required to mitigate damages.

Sure. Like you said, they remain employed, too.

Absolutely.

That's very un-American of you. Get my lawyer on the phone!
Seems to me, if you earned $1000 a week on your boat and now you can't you deserve compensation. If BP pays you that $1000 a week to keep on working, albeit cleaning, not fishing, you are still OK and don't deserve any additional compensation. The down side, of course, that that many will sit on their ass and do nothing and still get that $1000 you are getting to work for a week. There is no incentive to work. Same argument you get for welfare and long term unemployment compensation. Maybe the working crew should get a 20% bonus.
[snip]

Yup, and extra for those folks who still need to pay insurance on their boats, fishing licenses etc. My whole point of raising this issue was not to try to get a reading on what is fair, but how does one motivate anybody if their net gain is zero?
I also get Leon's point and I agree, but shouldn't be there any punitive damages? Not just a labour/labour compensation?
wrote

I still contend that some one will do the work and they all will not go home when the job is done. They are going to be competing for your job after the smoke clears. I would call helping with the clean up, "job security", and taking pride in the place you call home. I think the bonus might be the answer but I think perhaps it should work the other way around, if you don't help you get 70%.
wrote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10548872
wrote

Have you considered the DECADES ahead?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10548872
wrote

But that is then, this is now. Perhaps claims can and should be made for future losses, but if a boat is working today and no money is lost, they should not be able to collect double. They are made whole. If BP keeps that boat working at the regular rate plus inflation for the next 30 years, there is still no loss of income.
I talked to a friend in Alabama tonight. He said the beaches are still good where he is, but the tourists are staying away in droves. Many businesses will be affected by the lack of tourists dollars. How do you compensate the second tier businesses such as convenience stores, gas stations, hotel suppliers, Laundromat, etc.
wrote

Not even close when you consider at minimum just the Aggro.

You have to also consider how much the economy in genereal is affecting the tourism. Because not all beaches are affected and they too have a decline in tourists, one has to think that the down turn in the economy may be playing a large part also. You can start blaming wreckless sensational reporting for that and maybe the media should also be held accountable.
I recall watching a reporter mentioning that the beach cleanup crews are working in the "blazing sun and hot temperatures" and have to take 30 minute breaks after each 15 minutes of work. IIRC this is the spot the locals want the tourists to hang out. How is it that tourists are not or will not be affected by the "blazing sun and temps"?