OT Now this is customer service

Page 1 of 2
I had forgotten when but some time last year I ordered a replacement battery for my UPS from Apex Battery.
I just got an e-mail from them with the following comments
Time to check your warranty
It has been 11 months since your order with Apex Battery.
Nothing is more important to us than treating our customers with the best quality service. This is why we wanted to send you a reminder to check your battery today before your warranty expires. We also wanted to take this opportunity to introduce you to a few of our other new sites, iCables, Ink & Toner and Marine Battery. Check em out!
If you are having any problem with your battery please contact us before your warranty period has expired so we can remedy your situation.

Smart marketing

Good customer service _is_ smart marketing.

And/or excellent customer service.
-- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

Same thing, C-less.
Case in point: I was canned at the end of January and while the wooddorking is picking up, I decided to go after a "Master Gardener" certification at the university. I grew up on a market garden and have always enjoyed planting, harvesting, eating, etc.
Local greenhouse operation, very well known, advertise that they're looking for PT help.
"Hmm." think I. With my years of experience dealing with customers, and their garden/landscape/botany expertise, there could be a mutually beneficial relationship here. I send in a job app. Get called for an interview. "Can you be here at 2 PM?"
I arrive at 1:50, and am directed to what can best be described as a "holding area". There are already a half-dozen 20-something surly punks in t-shirts and jeans. I'm wearing pressed slacks and shirt, not looking too shabby, if I do say so myself.
10 minutes after the time I was asked to attend, nobody has even bothered to say hello.
I got up, walked to the font counter, left my card and asked the young woman to please pass it along and tell her employer that I was insulted at being treated so rudely.
Got home and sent an email explaining my feelings, and that while I had spent somewere between $4 and $6K with them over the past 10 years, they would never get another dime from me.
If they treat POTENTIAL employees like that, what the hell's their attitude to customers?

The world in general has become rude and inconsiderate. That said I wonder if you may have been expecting a little too much out of what you may have been actually showing up for.
Here in Houston those positions are generally held by undocumented laborers that are looking for any work not a PT regular job. Most often none can speak English and they sit in a holding area until some one comes along and picks a couple to go to do a particular task of job. From one day to the next there will be a different group of workers and job applications/employment forms are not even bothered with.

Possibly, Leon. But Sasakatoon is a small city, about 240,000, and as I am connected into the gardening/horticulture community this can hurt them.
In any event, I have my choice of employers right now.
On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 12:28:18 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Always a good position to be in. With any luck, one of them will lead to that "lifetime job", if that's how you're so inclined.

Not at this point in my life. Was let go after 17 years with a newspaper publisher back in January. From here on in, my loyalty is only to me. Working on building my own income.
I've landed a part time gig with Canadian Wookworker, 20 hours a week or so, retail sales to the high end hobbyist and medium sized shop. Start Thursday. We'll see how it goes. I've got a contract with the provincial returning officer coming up in September - November for the election here, and am talking to Canada Post this week about some other possibilities.
In the mean time, I just finished a stain matching gig for a couple renooberating their home for sale, and will deliver an oak bookcase to a client next weekend, again the stain matching...
So while the severance has just about run out, things are looking up!
On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 14:39:42 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Hell, a "lifetime job" to me means doing what you like to do and gaining a comfortable living from it. If it's building your own income doing something you like, then I think that qualifies.

No argument here!

Good on you, Dave ... Last time I had a company job, one that I wasn't a full partner in, was 47 years ago. Makes life interesting. I'm sure you'll do just fine ... all it takes is a healthy measure of try.
--
www.ewoodshop.com

It hasn't been easy, and I know it won't be easy going forward, but at least I know I don't have to ask permission any more.
It's been weird, having to define myself rather than letting the job define me. Definitely takes getting used to, but so far I like it.
And the worst possible thing that could happen? We'd have to sell the house and take our equity as cash!
[snipped for brevitization]

When we went to look for a long term care home for my parents, one thing I made sure to ask the people working there how long they had been there. One home in particular, I found a regular response was 15, 20, 25 years. Another home: 2 years, 6 months, 1 year..... and the places showed it too.... and even smelled differently as well. The nicest place, where mom ended up, was by far the cleanest. The nicest people. All long-term employees...and it was the only one operated by the county. IOW, no private penny-squeezing slum bastards.
On 8/5/2011 9:03 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Mom, afflicted with an advanced case of dementia, is in a Lutheran sponsored home in Brenham, TX that fits the good part of the above. Always impressed when I walk in ... the place smells clean no matter when you go, is always spotless, and the employees responsive. A tough job taking care dementia patients, and they do it well.
When Linda's Dad was in his final year a few years back, things were so bad at the local old folks warehouses in Hot Springs that we opted for her to basically move to AR for the duration and care for him at home. The girl was bound and determined that her Dad die at home, surrounded by family and the familiar. She stuck it out until the last day before making the decision to move him into hospice ... he was in hospice less than 24 hours before passing.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 8/5/2011 9:28 AM, Swingman wrote:

The whole area around Brenham is beautiful. I would move out there in a heartbeat if I could.
On 8/5/2011 11:51 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

Two of the prettiest drives in Texas,
105 East from Brenham to Navasota.
36 North from Brenham up to Abilene.
The latter goes through towns like Hamilton, where the main street on a Saturday morning looks like something out of a 40's movie. And, speaking of movies, I think there is still an old time working Drive-in movie on 36 outside of Gatesville.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 8/05/11 10:03 AM, Robatoy wrote:

she is not an employee of the place. It is unionized and the permanent staff are lazy and stick to the union rules etc. My wife works for a private agency and spends upwards of 10 hours a day four days a week with an elderly lady making sure she gets the care she needs and deserves. God know what it costs that lady per month, as she must of course pay for the place and their staff, plus my wife and whatever the agency charges for her services.
--
Froz...

Leon wrote:

Went to ship a package yesterday via FedEx. "Thirty-four dollars" the clerk said. I gave him my debit card.
"Declined," he said. I gave him another debit card on the same bank (different account) which was accepted. When I got home, I called the bank.
"Both cards were accepted," said the friendly attendant. "What company was this?" she asked. "Oh," she responded when I told her, "this happens about twice a week. FedEx is particularily awful about double charging."
Returning to the FedEx storefront, I explained the confusion to the store manager. His advice was to bring in both bank statements and they'd cheerfully refund the mistake(!). I reminded him of the significant and severe penalties for credit card fraud and theft. I also informed him that I was armed.
He called some factotum at the FedEx headquarters (located next to a very large chicken processing facility somewhere in Nebraska) where the helpful lady said the charge is not actually MADE until the package is delivered.
Since the package was sent overnight, I should know soon. Whether a mushroom-shaped cloud arises over my town is still an open question.
--
Aside:
I suspect a ghastly flaw in the FedEx computer system. The manager did
On 8/4/11 6:43 AM, HeyBub wrote:

That's a good way to get arrested.
--

-MIKE-