OT: Now THAT was some knee-slapworthy hilarity (Snow)

Page 2 of 3
On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 09:05:52 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

One of the worst sections of road I have EVER driven on in a snow storm - and I've driven in a LOT of bad winter weather.
The sun can be shining 20 feet above ground and you can be in a blinding blizzard at ground level, up to your armpits in heavy snow.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Dec 14, 1:18 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

They brought in the military...(BOTH helicopters <WEG>). They are airlifting older, gass-less people who did not find shelter in sleeper- cab trucks..people from all over are snowmobiling gas and food... what a frikkin mess. Now comes the real crazyness.. abandoned cars blocking the roads all over the place and, I'm sure, they'll find some of those owners in farmers' fields. From the air it looks like 9/11 in reverse.. no traffic into Canada here this time. LOL.. one local DJ was yakking his fool head off about Sarnia even being mentioned on CNN!!
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:13:59 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

How 'bout them banana trees?
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:13:59 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Y'all made the Weather Channel with some shots from them helos.
We had an inch or two, can not really tell how much as is blew sideways during and after the snow. It was 4.1 f this morning and freezing rain for tomorrow afternoon.
Layed in 100 LBS of salt as we have a nice long (uphill) driveway.
Mark
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 06:22:41 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

That's scary stuff, Toy. I hope everyone makes it out safely.
Saaaay, isn't that area inside the lovely, warm, Banana Belt you were telling us about?
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch
Add pictures here
βœ–

Ha! Nooo, that's 20 miles further south. It was a 25-year aberration.
and
What's with those temps in Florida? Surely you know that Florida is further south than Sarnia, Ontario? :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 20:25:06 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Globular Swarming is the culprit, I'll bet! AGWK Kills!
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch
Add pictures here
βœ–

some pics:
http://tinyurl.com/23twona
Add pictures here
βœ–

BTW.. they mention London Line..... my shop is on London Line but closer to a built up area so those drifts were less dangerous.
The banana crop is likely farked this year.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 06:55:29 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

I hear that Sub-Arctic Chiquita is going out of business from it.
-- Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises. -- Demosthenes
Add pictures here
βœ–

Looks like a real serious situation. I hope nobody died. If the tank was low or they did not have sufficient clothing, a fatality would be very possible. I guess commuting near Sarnia is a high risk activity.
Where is your civic pride and sense of public service Robatoy? Why aren't you out there rescuing these poor people?? ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12/15/10 10:41 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

No reports of death, and everyone appears to be accounted for, or no reports of missing persons, at least so far. Anyone that goes too far in a vehicle outside of a major city in Canada, who doesn't have a first aid kit, some food, and some warm clothes is a moron IMHO.
--
Froz...

βœ–
FrozenNorth wrote: ...

Doesn't make any difference about Canada or not; anywhere there's winter weather and particularly wind is susceptible to the same problems. Virtually every year there will be those who do such stupidity around here as well... :(
In general, those who either are from large metro areas or eastern where wind isn't so predominant factor in winter storms are the worst as they have no conception of first there being places it's hundred or more miles to an exit, even, and there may be nothing at that point, anyway; and second, that blowing 30-50 mph w/ snow is what we tend to expect to happen as opposed to watching snow pile up on top of things as it floats prettily downward...
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12/15/10 1:05 PM, dpb wrote:

I didn't mean to imply that the only morons are Canadian. :-)
--
Froz...

βœ–

Police used over a dozen towing companies, each with their own pounds, and there's a whole lot of people wandering aimlessly along these city streets wondering: "where's my car....where's my car..where my CAR??"
City fathers (and mothers) are busy compiling a list. At least 3 people have tried to lay claim on the same Cayenne Turbo...LOL (okay, I made that up...) If anybody can lose 300 cars, we can.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12/15/10 1:46 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Maybe there is an unclaimed truck full of beer and bacon. :-)
--
Froz...

βœ–
FrozenNorth wrote:

Last big 'un around here the National Guard guys had a heyday--something approaching 100 vehicles were simply run over and crushed or otherwise trashed by their toys.
Fortunately, none were occupied at the time--it was never clear whether they even thought about such things being a possibility at the time or whether they were simply looking for thrills and the chance was too good to pass up...supposedly they've now been "trained"; time will tell...

βœ–
On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 10:46:25 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

I use to live in the Chicago area, The Blizzard of 68 happen while I was in grammar school great fun, the one in 79 (which affected the Mayoral election, Bilandic lost after saying "my streets are clear what's the problem" or at least that is what his opponent got people to believe).
Mark
Add pictures here
βœ–

Something similar happened in Seattle. Two years ago, there was some cold weather. a bunch of snow, and no plan to deal with it. The mayor at that time, a clueless moron, (Mayor Nichols) proclaimed that there was no problem and everything was fine. He gave the the snow effort a B grade. Most of the city was paralyzed. He would not allow salt to be used on the road because it would cause an ecological disaster. The sand he spread everywhere clogged up all the storm drains afterwards. It took weeks to clean them all out.
It turns out that some dedicated ass kissers personally plowed the road between the mayor's house and city hall. That is why he thought the roads were clear. The person who was supposed to be in charge was on vacation in Portland, Oregon. When asked why she didn't come home to deal with the mess, she said she could phone it in. Because she did not drive a snowplow or truck, her presence was not required.
Well, the fallout was predictable. The mayor could not get re-elected. Seattle ended up electing a Sierra club lawyer, an extreme environmental wacko. The idiot in charge of the city's response was fired.
This area got a mini version of this event a week or so ago. Just 3 - 5 days of cold and some snow. Guess what? They screwed up again. But unlike last time, various officials stepped up and admitted the mistakes and went to work on some solutions. They bought new type of salt. They got some new equipment for their trucks, etc. They worked out new communications and procedures.
They had a big press conference in the last day or so to announce how they are going to do it different next time. I don't think it was because they gave a damn, competence or they really cared. They just know the last time the problem was not dealt with directly, everybody got fired. Hey, if at first you don't succeed, ...
So a little sense of self preservation will actually lead to some better service from our government. It doesn't happen often, but in this particular case, it did.
And, of course, the media turned it all into some kind of major event/soap opera.
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Robatoy" wrote:

some pics: