OT: no delivery, claimed lost (ebay)

Page 3 of 3

writes:

If you purchase insurance, tracking is included de facto, IIRC.
todd
todd wrote:

That's what I thought (about USPS). Damn strange. I'm betting the "insurance" I bought (for him/her) is pocketed.
er
--
email not valid

I recall reading feedback on a seller who must have had a large volume of sales. Several people beefed that he offered shipping insurance, but the shipments arrived without the insurance sticker from the shipping company. The seller's explanation was that he never said he provided insurance from the shipping company and was instead "self-insuring" the shipments. I'm not suggesting that happened in this case, but this just reminded me of that.
The only insurance issue I had was when I was selling my wife's collection of porcelain angel figurines. I definitely required shipping on those and of the 30 or 40 that I shipped, one arrived damaged. The buyer took it to the post office, who agreed that it had been packed appropriately. I sent him the insurance info and he took care of the rest.
I've never been involved in a dispute on an eBay transaction. I'm interested to hear about your experience in getting eBay to honor their commitment to protect buyers.
todd
I have a little experience with ebay/paypal disputes, but not in the last 6 months, so I don't know what policy changes might have happened since then. The last time I disputed, it was OK to file a chargeback with your credit card company as long as you went through the ebay/paypal dispute process first. Anyway, here is some input:
- It is perfectly valid for the seller to self-insure. Just because they charged an insurance fee doesn't mean they have to use a 3rd-party to insure.
- DON'T leave negative feedback until the issue is resolved. Since you paid by check, it will be difficult enough to get your money back. Once you leave negative feedback, you've greatly decreased the sellers incentive to work with you.
- I know this doesn't help you now, but in the future, ALWAYS pay by credit card for amounts you're not willing to lose. This gives you the last resort of filing a chargeback with your credit card company. I've had to do it for an ebay purchase, and it works (and I'm still able to use ebay and paypal).
"Self-insuring" isn't an uncommon practice. But if he's going to pocket the money he'd better be willing to cover the occasional discrepancy.
Enoch Root wrote:

Proof of shipping would not be enough for him, he's got to have proof of *delivery* or the buyer wins.
-Leuf

Not if the sale was a scam.
On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:05:07 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,

Consensus on the WRECK? Bwahahahahahaha!

If you asked for insurance/tracking and he wouldn't provide it, AND you didn't receive the package, I would definitely take it through eBay arbitration. Make sure the offer to refund shipping is included in your claim. It's showing that the shipper is willing to negotiate and/or is accerpting blame. Include email text of your request for tracking and his refusal. Give the arbitrators all the ducks in a row to help them make a clear decision in your direction.
After that decision comes through, you can decide how you'll deal with the feedback issue.
--- Annoy a politician: Be trustworthy, faithful, and honest! --- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Larry Jaques wrote:

Now I think on't, that is pretty damn silly.
er
--
email not valid

I wouldn't bother with ebay arbitration. Been there, done that. It don't work even if they do sucker you into paying the $20 bucks for an arbitrator. It still don't work. I had a case against a guy for item that arrived damaged but the box was in perfect shape. He wanted me to damage the box so he could collect the insurance money from UPS. He was a freaking shister and Ebay wouldn't do a thing about it. They won't because he's one of their own.
I agree with the others who said if he can't supply you with a tracking # then hit him with the negative response. Unfortunately, it's about all you can do.
Bryan
Enoch Root wrote:

There are things you can do. You should go to the ebay Answer Center or Discussion Boards to get much more informed advice. You still have a chance of getting a refund. Have you followed ebays "Item Not Received or Significantly Not as Described Process"? This doesn't cost you anything.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/inr-snad-process.html
Remember, don't leave negative feedback until the issue is resolved or you have just completely given up on getting your money back.