OT: no delivery, claimed lost (ebay)

Page 1 of 3

What's the consensus?
I bought an item which, three weeks later, the seller said was sent over two weeks ago. Says it must have gotten lost.
I asked originally for a tracking number, seller said no.
Now the seller is offering the shipping charge refunded.
I want to leave a negative, because
    a. This doesn't happen and I suspect they are disorganized      or dishonest.     b. Offering the shipping is a slap in the face.     c. That's just not how it's done in my world, give me a      full refund if you want to make it right.     d. I'm also just irritated at the time spent, in vain.
What would you do?
Also, I think I should carry this out through arbitration in the hope of getting a full refund... but I don't know if ebay's arbitrators feel the same way I do about these matters. Never done this before (never had to.) Does anyone have any ideas about that?
er
--
email not valid

Enoch Root wrote:

Ridiculous. If the shipping co, lost it, the tracking # would say so.

What a nice guy.

INSIST on a tracking #. After all, if it was shipped, he can prove it, therefore it would be your problem or the shipping co's and not his. If he can't provide a tracking #, he's ripping you off.
What's the ebay item #?
I'd be curious what the sellers feedback rating is. If this has happened before it should show up there.
I buy and sell on ebay and have only had one problem (crosses fingers, knocks on wood, etc...) I bought an item and it never showed up. After a bunch of emails and excuses I emailed a couple of the person's previous buyers and found out that the excuses they were feeding me weren't new ones... I filed negative feedback but didn't bother with the arbitration, the amount was $7 and I didn't think it was worth the time and hassle for that amount.
I'd do a little research with previous buyers, I got answers from almost everyone I sent one too asking.
Good luck.
bremen68 wrote:

This is similar... a $20 item (spokeshave, #54, with adjustable throat, and it looks like a pre-sweetheart because New Britain is mentioned in the ad) plus $10 to ship.
The feedback was a tough call, one bad (that wasn't really bad) out of 150: too new to ebay to really get a sense of their integrity, and I made a judgment call.
The person has left me feedback already, so at least I can weigh the decision without having a possible negative hanging over my head.
This also complicates things, however, as I seek out and respond generally favorably to sellers that do that, even when things aren't completely to my satisfaction.

I never considered contacting the previous buyers, that's a good idea.
Offering me only the shipping in return for this gets my goat. The ad specifically says I'm paying for insurance in addition to shipping with that $10.
er
--
email not valid

Check out eBay's policies you might get something back from them.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/questions/protection-program.html

With _that_ information, the situation is REALLY simple.
If you paid for insurance, and the packeage was 'lost', then the insurance applies. and the insurer pays for the lost item cost.
If the seller 'forgot' to order the insurance *you* paid for, then that is the seller's problem.
They owe you the *full*price* (inluding shipping) of the item.
'arbitration' should be a 'no brainer' given _that_ 'minor detail'. :)
The other option, if you're going to have occasion to visit the seller's locale any time soon, is to file a small claims action in the court where they live.
'Nuff said.
If you paid for insurance then it is the seller's responsibility to deliver proof of it to you in case the item gets lost so that you can recover the value of the purchase from the shipper, and apparently the cost of shipping from the seller as well. Things do get lost, stolen, misdelivered or very significantly delayed on occasion through no fault of either the seller or the buyer. It would appear solely from your description that you do not have sufficient evidence to convict the seller of fraud.
If for some reason the seller did not in fact obtain the insurance on the parcel when it was sent then without doubt it is the seller's responsibility to make good for the loss. IF the seller has tried to nickel-and-dime you on an insurance fee then that is a calculated risk that the seller has undertaken for his own benefit, in the likelihood that most packages do not in fact get lost. No harm done PROVIDED that the seller honestly admits having done so and makes you whole again.
Perhaps you are dealing with an inexperienced businessperson on the seller's end, one who, if he/she were to continue to displease customers such as yourself might not last long in a commercial enterprise.
J.
Enoch Root wrote:

Enoch Root wrote:

Yeah, I'm with everyone else on this. If there weren't any insurance mentioned, then it's a tough call, and I'd say it the loss was probably yours to eat. On the other hand, with the promise of insurance, I think the seller needs to either reimburse _all_ your money or provide you with the means to make an insurance claim against the shipper.
If the seller does not provide you that information, then they are quite simply not providing you with the stated goods, as insurance is irrelevant without the information to claim it.
- Brooks

Larry Bud wrote:

What if he mailed it?
There are plenty of eBay sellers who are private folks, just like you and me, as opposed to businesses. I've shipped over a hundred packages for eBay auctions of my personal stuff via Priority Mail, so no tracking number was available.
I would expect a full refund if I didn't get the item, but the lack of a tracking number does not automatically mean FRAUD.
Barry
B a r r y wrote:

Since when?
Priority mail is tracked. http://www.usps.com/shipping/trackandconfirm.htm
Larry Bud wrote:

No, it's not. <G>
That service is an extra cost add-on. It isn't (or at least wasn't the last time I used it at Christmas) included by default.
The clerk will ask "any tracking or delivery confirmation?"
Barry

"insured" packages are *always* tracked. this seller was charging extra for _required_ insurance.
Either he's engaged in fraudulent misrepresentation of his business dealings, or there is a 'tracking number', no two ways about it.

USPS offers delivery notification for I think 45 cents. Not sure if it can be used for first class mail or just priority.
As an Ebay seller, I would never ship something without tracking. I try my best never to buy anything that will be shipped without tracking.
If the seller doesn't use tracking, they should be held liable if the item doesn't show up.
Brian Elfert

Contest the charge to your credit card company.
Leon wrote:

Paid by check. :(
er
--
email not valid

This is a good lesson for anybody (not just you) about paying for things on ebay. I have a paypal account just for this reason though it has come in handy for a few other things like buying about $1000 worth of woodworking tools for $450 from a fellow wreckie (back on topic?) since he was moving soon, wouldn't accept a personal check, wasn't set up for credit cards and I didn't have the cash on me.
Gary (glad you didn't get taken for a lot more)

WARNING -- if you contest a charge with your credit card company --
-- E-Bay will block you from any further access to the E-Bay site, you will not be able to buy/sell on E-Bay, and you will not be able to leave a negative feedback to warn others of the seller's problems.
E-Bays rules specifically state that buyers ARE NOT ALLOWED to contest credit card purchases. (FYI, this E-Bay policy is a violation of credit card companies' card use policies.)
This is one of several ways in which E-Bay makes it difficult to leave negative feedbacks -- presumably because negatives also make E-Bay look bad. One result -- don't give too much credence to a low number of negatives --
Can you cite this Ebay policy? I've disputed a couple of charges directly with the credit card company and am still an active Ebay user. I also got my money back both times.
JimR wrote:

Mike Berger wrote:

I suspect this is eBay policy only for credit card payments that go through PayPal, not ones that go directly to the seller. (Remember that eBay owns PayPal now, so that gets all lumped together.)
That one sort of makes sense, because when the credit card payment goes through PayPal and you then contest the charge, PayPal has already paid the seller and if the credit card company doesn't pay them, they're the ones who get stiffed, not the seller -- even though they delivered exactly what you asked for.
Disclaimer: I haven't actually looked this up.
- Brooks

I'm not comfortable with Ebay owning Paypal. It seems like a lot of potential for conflict of interest.
But I think things are different now. At one time credit card charges to Paypal were considered the same as a "cash advance" without the cash advance fee. The credit card companies required me to dispute through Paypal. Over the past couple of years they've treated them more like payments to a store -- each one is a separate charge for merchandise from a different vendor. So I've used the standard dispute procedure.
The credit card companies want you to go through Ebay and Paypal dispute because (a) they don't have to compensate you for anything you get back from those sources first and (b) Ebay requires a 45 day wait, which may take you beyond the credit card dispute deadline.