OT: Newsgroup client suggestions

Page 4 of 4
On 11/29/2011 12:47 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

Frozz! Wut up, eh?! ^_^
TDD

One must admit that the name 'eternal september' is a bit of a joke; while the service they provide is anything but.
(In the early days of usenet, when most users were educational institutions, every september a new crop of freshmen would be introduced to usenet, and the next couple of months were crazy newbie time. When ISP's started offering NNTP feeds, usenet entered the "eternal september" zone, all newbies all the time).
scott
SBH wrote:

Change ISPs. And tell your current provider why.
You are NOT locked in to the ISP provided by the company that owns the pipe. My cable provider is Comcast, but I use Earthlink as my ISP. Earthlink provides Giganews at no additional charge.
HeyBub wrote:

Interesting. I didn't know that but I decided to check it out because I have always resented the fact that Comcast and Verizon both killed off their Usenet service that used to be included with my Internet service. I have Comcast now and, based on what you wrote, I thought I would check to see if I could change to EarthLink for Internet.
Unfortunately, when I went to EarthLink.com I found out that the only Internet service they have in my area is DSL and Satellite. I can't use my Comcast cable Internet service or Verizon FIOS (if I had that) to get EarthLink Internet service. I assume that it is available elsewhere as you have suggested, but not where I am located.

There's showing me dial-up and satellite. And their dialup costs as much as AT&T DSL.
Ron wrote:

"To order EarthLink Cable over Comcast lines, call 1-866-570-8333 and they will initiate the switch. The first step is to speak with the EL rep and check availability. They will then set you up with your first email address and then transfer you to Comcast so they can make the switch on their end. Comcast takes about 10-15 minutes to do their part and they will either call you back or you can stay on hold for the next step. They will send you to the online provisioning page to reprovision you with EarthLink as your ISP. Your domain will then switch from Comcast to EarthLink."
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/ecable/4.0_Earthlink_Pwd._by_Comcast
Good luck.

Eternal September has worked well for me for the last several years. It was down briefly only once. See: http://www.eternal-september.org /
There's no cost; but some AT&T e-mail addresses can't be registered.
Tomsic