OT: Newsgroup client suggestions

Page 3 of 4

I don't have to mess around switching.

Lobby Dosser wrote:

Switching - what?

from eternal_September

Lobby Dosser wrote:

What a brain trust we have around here.

Well, the IQ of the room will go up considerably as soon as you leave. This topic has been discussed to death here again and again. And it boils down to the guys who won't pay for binaries. And the guys who accept substandard service of some kind or another.
Having somebody come by and start whining about it isn't going to change anything. Why is is so important to you? I don't need to read your incessant whining. I will just ignore this thread from now on.
Lee Michaels wrote:

So when a dolt has a retarded conversation with me, I'm the one at fault?

Yes, and my basic 2 questions have not really been answered by anyone:
1) why use a paid usenet server to read/write to text newsgroups? 2) why is eternal september better than aioe?

Um, no it doesn't.
If you want binaries - you have to pay for them.
If you want text - WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO PAY FOR THEM?

I'd really like to know what you mean by substandard service, and who per chance is providing it?

Asking questions and pointing out when others evade them is not whining.

Why is it so important that you not answer the questions and even more, that you want me to stop asking?

Nobody's forcing you to cry like a baby in protest to my questions.

I accept your surrender of this argument to me.

No, but dismissing every answer you've received clearly shows you don't really want any answers to your constantly evolving questions, you jes wanna argue. Sorry, but I already have one Alzheimers mom for that.
nb
On 11/28/2011 9:03 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Not likely.

Every topic has been discussed to death. In fact, bringing up that lame argument has been discussed to death...
And it

That's plain bogus. First, I use a free server, Eternal-September and have not had any problems, no dropped mail, nothing. Second, I pay for Astraweb for my binaries. So I use both free and paid, just on that, you are wrong.

Whining has been discussed to death on here, again and again. Whining about it won't change a thing. BTW, After reading about Astraweb on here over and over, and over, I finally decided to try it out. So for me, and I'm sure others, things did in fact change because of repeated posts on the subject.

--
Jack

You, sir, "Don't know what you don't know". <grin>
It has been -proven- that Eternal-September has been 'over-aggressively' (and ERRONEOUSLY) filtering out at least some 'legitimate' postings, since early June of this year, IN A NEWSGROUP YOU PARTICIPATE IN.
On 11/29/2011 10:33 AM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

I understand, but, when I participate in a thread, I think I know when a thread is missing messages. I have not noticed it ever with E-S.

I know they updated their spam filter in June and a few shaky posts may have been filtered, but this was known and supposedly looked into. I never noticed even a blip.
I get 14 text newsgroups from E-S and have not noticed any problems. Granted, I don't read every message, but when I participate in threads, I would sooner or later notice replies to messages I never saw. Hasn't happened to me once with E-S that I recall, but did happen just once with Astraweb.
If it doesn't happen enough for me to recall, then it is too rare to worry about.
--
Jack

Your "failure to notice" only proves that you failed to notice. <grin.
*Other* eternal-september users -have- noticed, and publicly commented on the problem. One particular kind of legitimate posting was still being erroneously filtered out as of a little over a week ego.

oh Wow. such a -heavy- user. For comparison, I am subscribed to over TWO HUNDRED FIFTY _text_ newsgroups.
On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:26:09 -0600, Robert Bonomi wrote:

When do you do woodworking?

A lot of them are very low volume. Like, less than a dozen messages a YEAR.

And we all caught it on the replies and the provider fixed the problem. Dead Issue!

Yeah, some just keep repeating and repeating and ...

On 11/27/2011 9:54 PM, Home Guy wrote:

I don't know dick about aioe, but I don't like the idea of no username and password. Too wide open for abuse for me.
How's that?
--
Jack
On 11/28/11 11:42 AM, Jack wrote:

problem I had with them years ago was a 25 post limit/24 hours per IP.
--
Froz...

On 11/28/2011 11:51 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:

What does "logging" mean? To me it means user name and PW, and Home Guy said he doesn't mess with username and password?
--
Jack
On 11/29/11 1:32 PM, Jack wrote:

to post from, it is pretty well run, but is just a hobby for the guy, so there is no guarantee of uptime, feed, and retention is just horrible etc.
--
Froz...

You don't suppose Home Guy ... Naaah, nobody would spam that much.