OT: Newsgroup client suggestions

Page 1 of 4  
My local ISP discontinued access to newsgroups as of November 1st. All the while I was wondering why I couldn't connect until I called just now. Therefore, I am hoping many of you good people will offer suggestions on newsgroup clients I can use, other than this Google site.
Thank you
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"SBH" wrote in message
My local ISP discontinued access to newsgroups as of November 1st. All the while I was wondering why I couldn't connect until I called just now. Therefore, I am hoping many of you good people will offer suggestions on newsgroup clients I can use, other than this Google site.
If you are not against using micro$oft to view them, you could uses news.aioe.org Very reliable, and free. No binaries groups.
-- Jim in NC
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Excellent!
I'm using it now.
Thank you Jim
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 19:08:50 -0500, Morgans wrote:

Microsoft isn't required. I'm using aioe now running Pan under Linux.
--
Intelligence is an experiment that failed - G. B. Shaw

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 19:08:50 -0500, Morgans wrote:

Microsoft isn't required. I'm using aioe now running Pan under Linux. ******************************* Good to know. For what little I do, outlook was great. Live 2011 sucks, but outlook is not a choice with Windoz 7.
-- Jim in NC
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
says...

Outlook works fine with Windows 7. It's Outlook Express that they discontinued.
But there are numerous free alternatives.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Individual (www.individual.net) has been very good. It's about $14/yr and has an excellent spam filter. Almost all the spam I see is from people answering it. I rarely see the original. No binaries, though.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 18:09:55 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

They were excellent, but the people they used to handle their payments were a complete disaster (maybe n.i.n use someone else these days) - it's the only time I've ever contacted an organisation to apologize for leaving them :-)
(I'm using motzarella/eternal-september these days, with no complaints)
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/27/2011 04:58 PM, SBH wrote:

Try the Astraweb "pay by download" plan. $10 has kept me going for a few years with more to come.
http://www.news.astraweb.com/plans.html
--
"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame somebody else." -John Burroughs
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/27/2011 5:11 PM, Doug Winterburn wrote:

I'll second that. I use Thunderbird to view the few newsgroups I do keep up with, but any number of news readers will work just as well.
Matt
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

---------------------------- It's a winner.
Lew
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I'd like those that use a paid usenet server tell us why they're better than the free servers - assuming they only use them for the text groups that is.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Wreck only

I tried the http://teranews.com/ free servers ($4 setup charge) and found it both dicey (as far as uptime) and often so busy I couldn't get on. I've been with APN http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php for several years now at $2.95/mo and the difference is:
1) it is damnear always up, 2) it filters out most of the spam, 3 it hosts more groups than many services, 4) and it runs posts for longer than almost anyone I've seen.
-- When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake. -- Stephanie Barron (Something for the Powers That Be to remember, eh?)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I follow a couple of binaries groups, so I do pay for Giganews. Aside from that, the free server I used a while back was unreliable. It missed a lot of posts. The paid server would show say, 100 posts in a given time period, the free server would have about 90.
Perhaps other free servers are better, but my initial experience with two of them sucked.
There are probably others paid servers as good, but cheaper than the 2.99 for Giganews, but I'm too lazy to risk making the change.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Well you should try aioe for the text groups and see if there's a difference.

And you know that the missing 10 posts were not spam?

You should mention which server it was that you claim was missing posts, and when exactly this was.

Which two were they?
And if I may say, your argument about them "sucking" just doesn't cut it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Of course there is a difference. There would be no binaries.

Yes, I was on both servers and saw the posts missing. They were not spam, they were from regular uses of the NG, including this one.

whatever eternal-september is now

Your opinion.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/28/11 4:51 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's like not buying a new car because it doesn't come with built-in GPS. Who cares? The built-in (which is already woefully out of date) isn't as good as any of the stand alone units, or any of the free gps apps you can get for your phone.
This whole usenet process is woefully out of date which is why every isp on earth has or will drop it. Yet, all the dinosaurs like us still use it for whatever reason.
--

-MIKE-

"Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The project pictures would not be available without binaries. This could be important, even to woodworkers.
www.teranews.com works for all groups (binaries included) for $3.95 one time fee and a limit of 50-65MB per day. It has been known to collapse occasionally for a few days at a time in the last few on the freebie accounts. Probably somebody's hobby servers.
----------
"-MIKE-" wrote in message
That's like not buying a new car because it doesn't come with built-in GPS. Who cares? The built-in (which is already woefully out of date) isn't as good as any of the stand alone units, or any of the free gps apps you can get for your phone.
This whole usenet process is woefully out of date which is why every isp on earth has or will drop it. Yet, all the dinosaurs like us still use it for whatever reason.
--

-MIKE-

"Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 05:51:51 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Two people divided by a common language?
--
Intelligence is an experiment that failed - G. B. Shaw

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Same here. Pay a few bucks and get service for many years to come. Can't complain about that.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.