OT: News.Individual.NET not free of charge anymore

I guess. It's just down to question of getting what you pay for, basically. I'm already paying plenty for my ISP's server. I switched back to the German one to see if it was doing any better on dropped articles and whatnot. It really wasn't, but I kept using it for awhile because I had already reconfigured my newsreader. (I used to have leafnode get articles from *both* servers, but I stopped bothering with leafnode after it became practical just to download articles in real time, as needed)

My ISP's server is giganews, which is a place lots of people recommend anyway. Ounce for ounce, I don't see any substantive difference between the two, and neither one of them carries ABPW, so there's no compelling reason to take a crowbar to my wallet in this case.

Especially not with $5,000+ (maybe ++++; I'm still waiting to see how bad the damage is going to wind up) in medical bills looming man. $13 is $13. I'll get these bastards paid one $13 at a time. It's *time* to be a cheap bastard.

Reply to
Silvan

Do a google search for "USENET news server free"

I've never really gone searching, but I know 'Tera news' offers free NNTP access. It's medium yucky, compared to their 'pay' service, but it *is* there.

They're *NOT* the only one.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

True...and it's being discussed in many newsgroups.

A friend is trying one in Denmark, he dropped it after one day.

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Silvan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

Uhh... I get apbw thru Giganews. On a Comcast feed. Maybe it's a subset thing?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I access Giganews (as a paying customer) and have no problem getting abpw either.

Reply to
Swingman

Sorry, forgot about that. I can see your point.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Ah, OK, I will admit they are not the only one. But let me tell you, I have never heard anything good about any of the other ones in modern times (that modern times in internet time).

Paul Kierstead

news.readfreenews.net?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Larry Blanchard wrote: ...

Do they allow posting?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

They did - I post from it now and then, but not in this group. I don't know if Mike (the man in charge) is accepting new "full" members or not at present. I do know he stopped for a while at least.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I figured as much...I've not found any that do other than nin that are usable...perhaps there are some, but ... :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

And so we're back to agreeing on everything. But surely, there must be something. Blondes or brunettes? Brunettes. Paper or plastic? Plastic. Oak or walnut? Walnut. Dogs or cats? Dogs. QWERTY or Dvor?k? QWERTY.

Reply to
Silvan

Probably. It's isp.giganews.something

Reply to
Silvan

Redheads

Fabric :)

Uhm...on this we agree :)

Cats :)

Dvorak :)

Vox, the lurker

Reply to
Vox

Substitutes Can do More harm Than city fellers On a farm

Burma-Shave

Leaves Face soft As woman's touch Yet doesn't cost you Near as much

Burma-Shave

We can't Provide you With a date But we do supply The best darn bait

Burma-Shave

Heaven's Latest Neophyte Signalled left Then turned right Burma-Shave

(real email)
(webpage)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Yea, verily!

Ditto.

cherry, alder, and flame birch. walnut sometimes, oak never.

Both! And fish, birds, and reptiles.

With two fingers at a time, it makes no difference :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Depends on what happened last time the wife went to the hairdresser. Couldn't tell ya at the moment.

Paper, barely. Good for wood scraps for the fireplace.

Of course.

Yes.

Well, I tried Dvorak a few years ago, liked it, but then got my first sysadmin job doing desktop and server support. 200 keyboards with QWERTY, vs 1 as Dvorak, and it just didn't work. So, "maybe".

OK, so...vi or emacs?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Get a kboard hardwired for dvorak and lug it around with you...that's what I did for 2 years when I was doing helldesk before I found my brain again :)

emacs, of course :)

Vox

Reply to
Vox

There is only one correct answer to this question, and the other followup to this post did not answer it correctly.

Reply to
Silvan

I missed the "emacs" response, apparently?

Reply to
Dave Hinz