OT: News.Individual.NET not free of charge anymore

bank --

came
Yes, I know how to read.
Tax savings for the rich and powerful means additional taxes for the poor and oppressed. Most taxpayers don't fall into the rich and powerful category. Germany benefits because Wachovia is able to do this for less than a German company because of this loophole. Thus US tax payers are subsidizing the German sewers. Yeah it is a bit of a mental stretch, but try and remain flexible.
-j

Well, the German government confiscated my great-great-grandfather's land (a Dane) back in the 1860's, so I don't feel too bad about it.

Well, it _is_ a paypal-like thing, but OK. I think we just found something we disagree on!
Dave

How about taking the Indians' land here?

Happened before my ancestors arrived, so... I think I can be consistant and also not feel personal guilt about that.
Dave Hinz wrote:

I guess. It's just down to question of getting what you pay for, basically. I'm already paying plenty for my ISP's server. I switched back to the German one to see if it was doing any better on dropped articles and whatnot. It really wasn't, but I kept using it for awhile because I had already reconfigured my newsreader. (I used to have leafnode get articles from *both* servers, but I stopped bothering with leafnode after it became practical just to download articles in real time, as needed)
My ISP's server is giganews, which is a place lots of people recommend anyway. Ounce for ounce, I don't see any substantive difference between the two, and neither one of them carries ABPW, so there's no compelling reason to take a crowbar to my wallet in this case.
Especially not with $5,000+ (maybe ++++; I'm still waiting to see how bad the damage is going to wind up) in medical bills looming man. $13 is $13. I'll get these bastards paid one $13 at a time. It's *time* to be a cheap bastard.
<snippage>

Uhh... I get apbw thru Giganews. On a Comcast feed. Maybe it's a subset thing?
Patriarch
"Patriarch" wrote in message

I access Giganews (as a paying customer) and have no problem getting abpw either.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
Patriarch wrote:

Probably. It's isp.giganews.something

Sorry, forgot about that. I can see your point.
Dave
Dave Hinz wrote:

And so we're back to agreeing on everything. But surely, there must be something. Blondes or brunettes? Brunettes. Paper or plastic? Plastic. Oak or walnut? Walnut. Dogs or cats? Dogs. QWERTY or Dvor?k? QWERTY.
On September 1993 plus 4188 days snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

Redheads

Fabric :)

Uhm...on this we agree :)

Cats :)

Dvorak :)
Vox, the lurker
--
Think of the Linux community as a niche economy isolated by its beliefs. Kind
of like the Amish, except that our religion requires us to use _higher_

Yea, verily!

Ditto.
cherry, alder, and flame birch. walnut sometimes, oak never.

Both! And fish, birds, and reptiles.

With two fingers at a time, it makes no difference :-).

Depends on what happened last time the wife went to the hairdresser. Couldn't tell ya at the moment.

Paper, barely. Good for wood scraps for the fireplace.

Of course.

Yes.
Well, I tried Dvorak a few years ago, liked it, but then got my first sysadmin job doing desktop and server support. 200 keyboards with QWERTY, vs 1 as Dvorak, and it just didn't work. So, "maybe".
OK, so...vi or emacs?
Dave
On September 1993 plus 4191 days Dave Hinz wrote:

Get a kboard hardwired for dvorak and lug it around with you...that's what I did for 2 years when I was doing helldesk before I found my brain again :)

<points at the headers of his post> emacs, of course :)
Vox
--
Think of the Linux community as a niche economy isolated by its beliefs. Kind
of like the Amish, except that our religion requires us to use _higher_
Dave Hinz wrote:

There is only one correct answer to this question, and the other followup to this post did not answer it correctly.

I missed the "emacs" response, apparently?
says...

VI forever!

[dons flame-retardant sweatsuit]
You gotta be kidding. The only editor I've ever used that sucks worse than vi is edlin. Even Microsoft's EDIT is easier to use than vi.
You want to see a good editor, get on a Tandem system for a while.
Doug Miller wrote:

No flames here, just pointing out that you choose different editors for different reasons and no, one wouldn't choose vi for ease of use; that isn't the point of using it. It would be like complaining that an F1 care is no good because it has a rough ride; yeah, it does have a rough ride but if you picked one because it would go easy on your hemroids, you picked the wrong car. OTOH, if you wanted to go fast....

Agreed. Although 'ed' will do, in a pinch.
Dave "hell, 'cat' works in a real pinch" Hinz